PDA

View Full Version : Should I worry?

cncer691
05-22-2002, 02:11 PM
I just took off my intake on my Olds 455, and below the heads, behind the pushrods, the block looks like it has rust or something bubbling on the block. It almost looks like dried molasses or syrup, very crystaline when scraped. I am assuming it ir rust, but how does it get in there? Also, all of the water passages in the manifold had a snot-like substance gooped up in there. I do run this boat in brackish water, but flush for 30 minutes after each run.

bobz
05-22-2002, 02:32 PM
sounds like quakerstate wax oil or you intake is leaking water into the vally.

cncer691
05-22-2002, 02:42 PM
I ran Mobil 1 synthetic oil for a few years exclusively, but in the past year or so, it has been leaking so much oil that I've been putting in whatever oil is at the gas station when I fill up including quakerstate. My oil is never milky looking, just amber after a change, then black after a few hours.

HBjet
05-22-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by cncer691:
I ran Mobil 1 synthetic oil for a few years exclusively, but in the past year or so, it has been leaking so much oil that I've been putting in whatever oil is at the gas station when I fill up including quakerstate. My oil is never milky looking, just amber after a change, then black after a few hours.
If your motor is leaking so much oil that you just put in whatever you can find, why not just fix the leak?
HBjet

cncer691
05-22-2002, 03:23 PM
That is why the intake is off. Just making sure I don'y have a problem before I put it back on. I thought for the longest time that it was either a valve cover, or the oil filter adapter. I finally came to the conclusion that it was coming from a small gap in the cork gasket between the manifold and lifter valley. But from what I can gather a lot of other Olds have a oil mess problem. My bilge looks like I was boating in Prince William Sound.

HBjet
05-22-2002, 03:45 PM
I never use the cork gaskets between the manifold and the block. Instead, I use the RTV high temp black silicone and never had a problem. Those cork gaskets are junk. (Maybe the cork gasket mfg will come in here and yell at me for calling those gaskets junk) Anyways, put down a good bead and then install manifold and you will be fine.
HBjet
One other thing, don't go cheap on gaskets either, get the good stuff.
[This message has been edited by HBjet (edited May 22, 2002).]

bobz
05-23-2002, 04:51 AM
use rtv the rubber and cork gaskets never work right. put a 5/16 bead on and a thin amount around the water passages let sit for 5 or 10 minutes then use 2 people to set the intake on straight the first time and your done. dont start the boat for 24 hours or you will suck the rtv in and you'll have to start all over.

beached1
05-23-2002, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by bobz:
sounds like quakerstate wax oil or you intake is leaking water into the vally.
Penzoil is perophin based also. Junk.

cncer691
05-23-2002, 12:06 PM
I was informed by some one that it looked like baked on permatex. I started to clean it off, and i believe they were right. I'm going to give the rubber seal a chance before I go to just RTV. I'm very messy, and always seem to make things worse before I get them fixed.