PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this boat?

mud duck
08-01-2002, 08:19 AM
I was curious what the general opinions were of this boat?
1989 25 foot Thunder Jet, 460 w/Berkley JE or JF pump, 240 hrs on boat, 3 hrs on rebuilt engine. Used primarily in Washington state. Boat was supposedly custom built for the old owner of Thunder Jet. The hull is all welded aluminum.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/thunderjet-00215803902.JPG
Current owner claims it will do 60 mph on GPS. Might be a nice boat for me to move into.

1HOTGMCJET
08-01-2002, 10:46 AM
Hey mudduck - there are a few aluminum hull devotees on here, so they can probably give you some insight - I think it's a NICE looking boat - by the way, where'd you learn to post pics like that???? wink LOL

mud duck
08-01-2002, 10:57 AM
Don't laugh, but I still felt like an idiot this time around. I was referring back to your little instructions to make sure it worked. I've been fooled to many times while trying to post pics on this forum. Just when you think you got it, it all goes to h*ll.
I must be gotten edjumacated somewhere, da thunk so? Thanks for your assistance 1HOTGMCJET.

jet496
08-01-2002, 06:24 PM
Not to be alarming, but I seriously doubt there's only 240 hrs on an '89 boat (Unless the owners are over 80 years old). I have 130 hrs on mine after only 1 year. I'll bet I take mine out less than most hot boaters.
Just my 2 cents.
I guess hours don't mean that much. You figure a car gets driven everyday.
It's more an honesty issue.

lakesmodified
08-01-2002, 07:24 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jet496:
[QB]Not to be alarming, but I seriously doubt there's only 240 hrs on an '89 boat (Unless the owners are over 80 years old). I have 130 hrs on mine after only 1 year. I'll bet I take mine out less than most hot boaters.
Just my 2 cents.
I guess hours don't mean that much. You figure a car gets driven everyday.
Actually, back when I bought my 1979 21.5FT Regatta mini-daycruiser(Spring 1989)It had a total of 270 hours on it! The original owner that I purchased it from, had a second home in Parker, and the boat sat in his garage all year round. The only time the boat was used, was one week in the early Summer and an additional week early Fall. That Regatta gave my family and I 12 years of carefree service, and I only replaced it a year ago, because I wanted to get back into a jet. Though you cannot make assumptions as to the total hours a boat may have, the condition speaks for itself. That Regatta mini-daycruiser was immaculate when I purchased it, and when I sold it 12 years later, it had a total of 580 hours..

mud duck
08-01-2002, 07:49 PM
The current owner (second owner) is in his 60's. He used the boat to give his grandchildren rides, go fishing, and go camping. He said he was never really interested in speed. He had the engine rebuilt late last summer because he burned out (?) the front two cylinders by clogging the water jacket with silt & sand from fishing in to shallow of water. He seems pretty honest. He has only owned the boat for four years. Kind of hard of hearing, and hard to get ahold of. He is not working very hard to sell it, maybe he would rather not. It does not have a Diverter or Jet-O-Jator, and has an AA impeller running about 4300 to 4400 RPM's. Does 60 mph really seem right to you guys?

mud duck
08-04-2002, 08:10 PM
Back up to the top.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/ThunderjetSideVeiw01.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/Thunderjet03.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/boat-in-water.JPG

canuck1
08-05-2002, 12:48 AM
Most stock alum hull river boats(19 to 23 foot)with sb power will run high 50 low 60 speeds so I can't see why this one would not. check the bottom off the hull for damage from shalow water use and have a good look at all the welds. if it has been abused the hull will show it

mud duck
08-05-2002, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the heads up canuck1.
Unfortunately, this boat is 1,500 miles away from me, so looking it over is not very practical. If I make the trip, I will propably drag it home.
Decisions, decisions.

canuck1
08-05-2002, 11:15 AM
Mud
after 12 years of glass boats I bought an alum sprint. 3 years later I sold the cougar and would never buy another glass hull the alum hulls will out perform any glass hull with less power.

mud duck
08-05-2002, 12:23 PM
That is good to hear.
From the photos, it looks like there is plenty of room in the engine compartment for improvements. I bet with the right engine/pump combo, I could get this thing to fly.
What do you believe it weights?