PDA

View Full Version : WOT max time for 460

wet77
03-02-2003, 06:48 PM
Just a quick ? for the ford BB guys, how long would you think I could run my 460 for at WOT which for me is about 4800rpm?
Motor is .030 over 750 holley, ot headers, stock oil pan ,20-50 oil, tunnel ram intake, stock heads ect..
I change oil every 4-6 hours of use, ok may be overkill but in my mind oil is cheap.
Any help!

Hallett19
03-03-2003, 12:35 AM
well, if your water and oil are running at an ok temp and your oil pressure is ok you can run all day long at that rpm, just make sure you timing is not too high and its in good tune. I dont even have an oil cooler and I have keept it pinned for a long time untill my oil gets too hot, oil cooler is coming soon !

HammerDown
03-03-2003, 07:44 AM
Hmmm, while the stock 460 is a stout motor and is capable of much higher rpm's than 4800. I highly doubt it could take 4800 rpm ALL DAY, none stop eek! > (in a Boat). Short runs at WOT, no problem, but max rpm's AL DAY in a highly stressed Marine application, I would feel your looking for problems cry . However if you must test the limits, I would do the oil cooler or at least use 40 or 50 wt. oil or Syn. 20/50, Run conservative timing And keep an eye on oil/water temps....Good Luck!
[ March 03, 2003, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

Blown 472
03-03-2003, 08:04 AM
Not to mention that fords have nasty habit of pumping the oil into the heads and starving the pan, something else to consider running wot for along time.

bmff
03-03-2003, 09:31 AM
BLOWN, please enlighten me on this ford oiling problem. I have not heard of it before.
thanx

03-03-2003, 10:40 AM
Running a stock 5 qt. pan is asking for trouble, espec. in a jet. Buy a pan for jetboat with at least 10 qt. cap. and p/u for rear pick up. The problem Blown is talking about is if oil to the rockers isn't restricted the valve chambers will flood with oil because oil won't drain back to the pan fast enough and a 5 qt. pan will pump dry. By the time it shows on a oil press. guage its too late, damage is done. With a good oil supply 4800 rpm all day shouldn't be a problem IF the oil temp and pressure stay in acceptable limits. [Temp no higher than 240-245F and pressure not much less than what it runs normally, in other words if press. runs 60 lbs then it should run at least 50-55 lbs after an extended period at WOT.] Get a big pan with rear p/u and oil temp guage and use them.

Hallett19
03-03-2003, 11:05 AM
058, check your email.

ezstriper
03-03-2003, 11:10 AM
4800 w/stock pan for a extended period of time is
like pulling the pin on the grenade ! it's only a matter of time

Hallett19
03-03-2003, 11:12 AM
Dually noted, its pretty much russian roulette with 5 bullets in a 6 shooter.

Eric455
03-03-2003, 12:18 PM
come on guys the guy is looking for a time period. dont tell him all day or short period of tim @ WOT> i say 1/4 mile sound about right. just about 35-50 seconds.
then again i run a 468 BBC in my boat so if i'm wrong please let me know.
thanx
eric

HammerDown
03-03-2003, 01:27 PM
Easy there Eric455...My verson of a short blast would only be a 1/4 mile pass or so. Still I dont want to be in a boat when the owner puts the pedal all the way down ALL DAY long none stop....hope he has a tow rope!
The thing here to consider, 4800 really isnt the red line of any stock Big Block...but put that same motor in a Marine application were there is more stress on the engine...not to mention if it comes out of the water once or twice>(spun bearing maybe), ya kind of have to use some common sense about it... who's to say when or why a motor would blow.

wet77
03-03-2003, 03:17 PM
Thanks guys for all the insight it sounds like I have been running ok so far, I usually cruise at around 2500rpm which is about 38mph gps and for those needed (waste the poor sucker that wants to race moments) I will keep her floored no more than 30 seconds at a time.

HammerDown
03-03-2003, 03:49 PM
wet77:
Thanks guys for all the insight it sounds like I have been running ok so far, I usually cruise at around 2500rpm which is about 38mph gps and for those needed (waste the poor sucker that wants to race moments) I will keep her floored no more than 30 seconds at a time. Hold on there fella...on what type of Boat and what kind of Pump are you doing 38 mph at 2500 rpm? :confused: ...DETAILS PLEASE!!!

Hallett19
03-03-2003, 04:04 PM
yeah yeah, what kind of pump and hull are you running and what do you have done to the motor ? Since I have done my mods on my 460, I have run it from site six almost all the way to sandbar in havasu, my oil was cooking at about 290-310, but I had it pinned all the way and my boat runs fine, it tops out at about 4400 and 4600 rpms @ 58mph.

bmff
03-03-2003, 05:59 PM
partial [QUOTE]Originally posted by 058:
[QB] Running a stock 5 qt. pan is asking for trouble, espec. in a jet. The problem Blown is talking about is if oil to the rockers isn't restricted the valve chambers will flood with oil because oil won't drain back to the pan fast enough and a 5 qt. pan will pump dry.
I agree with the 5 qt.front pan statement. It would take only one good bounce to run out of oil. My pan is center pickup,12 qt. with oneway baffles on either end.
It is my understanding that the 460/429 is good to 7000 or more without oiling problems. Are the heads restricted or will the pan (5qt.) run out of oil because of so much oil being in circulation?

03-03-2003, 06:09 PM
Too many variables to answer a simple question. Is the engine out of a passenger car? [wrecking yard engine] Has the engine been set up to run in a boat for the way you want to run it? IE: extra bearing clearance, extra rod side clearance, big pan, HV oil pump, HD rods, forged pistons, good stuff in the valve train, ect. Simple question with no simple answer. What works good in a car does not mean it will work in a boat, ask any engine builder and the first question he should ask you is what is it going to be used for and what do you want it to do for you. Kinda like asking "How long will I live?" :confused: or asking "How often should I change aluminum rods?" [answer...the last run before they break] :D

03-03-2003, 06:22 PM
bmff:
partial [QUOTE]Originally posted by 058:
[QB] Running a stock 5 qt. pan is asking for trouble, espec. in a jet. The problem Blown is talking about is if oil to the rockers isn't restricted the valve chambers will flood with oil because oil won't drain back to the pan fast enough and a 5 qt. pan will pump dry.
I agree with the 5 qt.front pan statement. It would take only one good bounce to run out of oil. My pan is center pickup,12 qt. with oneway baffles on either end.
It is my understanding that the 460/429 is good to 7000 or more without oiling problems. Are the heads restricted or will the pan (5qt.) run out of oil because of so much oil being in circulation? 5 qts. is ok for a Lincoln Towncar running a maximum rpm of about 2800. It has been discovered that at 4-5000 rpm oil whips around the crankshaft like taffy in a taffy making machine [Smokey Yunick] This "whip" can be about 2 or 3 qts of oil, take that away from the 5 in the pan and filter and the 1 or so in the valve covers doesn't leave much IN the pan. This is why alot of engine builders strongly recommend crank "strippers" and windage trays in many shapes and forms as well as the big pans and proper pump pick ups.

wet77
03-03-2003, 06:45 PM
Running a 77 wreidt maverick 18' loader grate berk 12jc done by walts ***boat manual diverter.
Top end right now I see 68mph on the mild ford BB no wild cam....hmm (I have some pics of the boat on my computer I just need to know how to post them....any help and I could show you guys the boat!!

wet77
03-03-2003, 06:54 PM
I also am running my cooling maybe a little different, it goes jet, gate valve then splits to motor ,out the thermostat housing, into a t where at low idle it dumps out the back, and at 1800rpm it trips the header valve ,and some goes out the headers, I ve ran it this way for around 3 years and it works great!! also using all earls fittings and lines.
My temp runs around 190 at idle and 165 at cruising with no big gains or losses throughout stomping on the gas or just puttin down the river.

bmff
03-03-2003, 07:02 PM
DAMN guess I better put 10 qts. in my Ranchero---had it up to 4600 the other day before I had to back off. Not trying to start a war!! The "whipped" thing (circulation) was probably the answer I was looking for. I just couldn't understand why I had not heard of the return oil from the heads being a problem. The boat motor is just fine. Berk A with agressor bowl and hyd. place diverter. 5600 rpm. Changed to an agressor A and added a short droop for this season. Trying to get the RPM down and the hull up.

77charger
03-03-2003, 07:42 PM
i have turned mine to 5600 for short burst but have also cruised at 4200-4500 for a while also but keep in mind i do have a 14 qt pan

Hallett19
03-03-2003, 08:54 PM
77charger:
i have turned mine to 5600 for short burst but have also cruised at 4200-4500 for a while also but keep in mind i do have a 14 qt pan Correction: HAD a 14 quart pan frown

77charger
03-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Hallett19:
77charger:
i have turned mine to 5600 for short burst but have also cruised at 4200-4500 for a while also but keep in mind i do have a 14 qt pan Correction: HAD a 14 quart pan :( yes that would be correct since i do not own the boat.I think it was the only good thing that came on my boat origianaly.

73SangerSuperJet
03-05-2003, 10:45 AM
I have a question (as usual). I have a BB Chevy out of a 76 Chevy truck. I put a new double roller chain on it, a Hardin 10qt pan with the trap doors, a single carb tunnel ram and ot headers on it. The bottom end looks like it had a new oil pump, so maybe a possible rebuild. How long can I hold it at 4800-5000? I normally pounce on it for 2-3 secs, and run around 3-4K most of the day waterskiing. During summer, I take the boat out at least once a week, if not twice :)
Thanks,
Louis

Blown 472
03-05-2003, 11:18 AM
bmff:
DAMN guess I better put 10 qts. in my Ranchero---had it up to 4600 the other day before I had to back off. Not trying to start a war!! The "whipped" thing (circulation) was probably the answer I was looking for. I just couldn't understand why I had not heard of the return oil from the heads being a problem. The boat motor is just fine. Berk A with agressor bowl and hyd. place diverter. 5600 rpm. Changed to an agressor A and added a short droop for this season. Trying to get the RPM down and the hull up. The heads have two drain back holes, one on each end that are not that big, if it pumps the valve covers full it will find it's way back to the pan via the push rod holes.