PDA

View Full Version : rebuild on reverse rotation starter

WETDAWG
07-24-2002, 09:46 AM
Gang,
Anyone know wher I can get a rebuild on my reverse rotation starter for my BBC motor? It std 168 tooth and I kissed the ring gear and chipped the starter gear. I am in So Cal. I am also looking to get it done cheaply (not much boat money left this year) :o
Any help would be appreciated.

BBTAHITI
07-24-2002, 10:56 AM
WETDAWG:
Gang,
Anyone know wher I can get a rebuild on my reverse rotation starter for my BBC motor? It std 168 tooth and I kissed the ring gear and chipped the starter gear. I am in So Cal. I am also looking to get it done cheaply (not much boat money left this year) :o
Any help would be appreciated.

BBTAHITI
07-24-2002, 10:58 AM
Call Roy's auto electric in Orange. I can even drop it off for you on my way home. :D
I don't have the phone# (try 411, what do I look like, a friggin SECRETARY?) eek! .

jet4fun
07-24-2002, 11:01 AM
well its funny you should ask because mine just went out yesterday and i was gonna post this topic right now.
okay, i guess these things are exotic? i just called rex, and cpperformance. rex says they cant even get them, cp says they have a new one for $230 but they dont have rebuilt. i also called a local marine shop, and they said to just call a local starter rebuild shop because theyre hard to find. i asked why this is so hard and someone said because jet drives are so old that the starters are hard to find. wait a minute, dont "new" jet boats still come with these type of starters? my boat is only a 96.
hopefully someone can help out on this one, otherwise its time to call the starter rebuild shop

WETDAWG
07-24-2002, 11:50 AM
BBTahiti,
Your not bad for a secretary. If only you had Judith's body. (Not her attitude) :D
Are you gonna put it in for me too? :p
You know I still have beer

WETDAWG
07-24-2002, 12:01 PM
Just called Roy's in Orange. Had to get the phone # myself because of that lazy bum secretary (714-633-9999) They knew exactly what I wanted. NO PROBLEM approximately $95 for a complete rebuild.
The guy was great on the phone.
Thank BBTAHITI (even though I had to get the number myself) LMAO :D :p :cool: :) :D wink

jet4fun
07-24-2002, 04:20 PM
i just dropped mine off down there too, the guys were cool. thanks for the info bbtahiti.

WETDAWG
07-24-2002, 06:03 PM
Robert,
I am taking mine tomorrow. What did he quote you on the price and how long to rebuild?
Thanks
Ted

jet4fun
07-24-2002, 07:34 PM
he basically said it would be about 85 bucks. when i called they said 95ish so i guess they kinda high ball it a little so as not to shoot themselves in the foot over the phone.

jet4fun
07-24-2002, 07:44 PM
on a little side note, i just looked at the pics of froggstyle's engine bay. his boat is a 2001 and unless im crazy it has the same starter as i do. now how come theyre so hard to get if theyre still being used on brand new boats? rex cant even get them, cp says theyre rare, but heres the funny thing; they both sell the 3 point jet mount. "hey dude heres your new 3 point mount but i dont konw where to get the starter from sorry dude". i know ultra doesnt make trips to the junk yard to get starters for the boats.

WETDAWG
07-24-2002, 08:28 PM
Good point!
It looks like the big boat shops are at a loss for product.
I dont care $85 vs 250 is a great deal.
I was told they can even reverse wind the stator

FIRE HAZARD
07-25-2002, 08:11 AM
i had my starter rebuilt last year, then i decided to buy a newer engine and while i was taking the starter off the ear broke. go figure!
the boat never even hit the water before it broke. heavy hand i guess. great rebuild tho!

jet4fun
07-26-2002, 05:25 PM
hey wetdawg, did you get your starter back yet? i was just wondering. they did not call me today, and i left it on wednesday afternoon, he said maybe friday. guess not. oh well i cant go to the lake this weekend anyway. i'll call them on monday, i assume theyre closed on the weekend. i have tuesday off, and want to have it running.

WETDAWG
07-28-2002, 05:28 PM
Robert,
Didn't make it over there yet. I have my spare that I am gonna install but you never know if the garage "queen' will work? Hahahahahahahahh
I am still goning out next weekend in the " back up Boat" :D

Hollis
08-02-2002, 03:45 PM
If you think it's hard finding a CCW starter for the BBC, try finding a top mount CCW starter for a BBF 460...I think I'm screwed!!!
I'de give a right arm and some greenbacks if any one found it! frown

jet4fun
08-02-2002, 05:19 PM
mine got finished on tuesday night, i picked it up yesterday, puttin it in tonight, hope it works for this weekend, goin to pyramid for the camping and festivities this weekend :)

WETDAWG
08-05-2002, 06:16 AM
Hollis,
Take your old one in for a rebuild. reputable Auto electric places are capable of doing it. They may be afraid at first but just talk to them.

WETDAWG
08-05-2002, 07:19 AM
Jet 4fun,
How did your starter turn out?
WD

jet4fun
08-05-2002, 04:13 PM
actually i need to call them up because about every 5th time i go to start it it just clicks and i have to keep bumping the key a couple of times to get it to turn over.

jet4fun
08-05-2002, 04:43 PM
[ August 05, 2002, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: jet4fun ]