PDA

View Full Version : Help pulling my engine....

Hollis
08-18-2002, 12:23 PM
I was looking over my bell housing trying to figure out how to disconnect my 460 from the jet drive. I see there are 6 allen screws behind the bell housing mounted to the engine. If I can get these out will the engine lift out, or will I have to pull the jetdrive bowl to yank the drive spindle from the block..?

spectratoad
08-18-2002, 12:58 PM
I also have a 460 to a Berkely. The shaft splines just slide into the CV. No need to unbolt. Ask me how I know? :rolleyes: Also there is a bracket that connects the front of the jet to the bellhousing, held by two bolts, undo that too.
[ August 18, 2002, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: spectratoad ]

Hotcrusader76
08-18-2002, 02:05 PM
spectratoad:
I also have a 460 to a Berkely. The shaft splines just slide into the CV. No need to unbolt. Ask me how I know? :rolleyes: Also there is a bracket that connects the front of the jet to the bellhousing, held by two bolts, undo that too.I had the same similar question for my 12JG attached to my 468 BBC. My last boat had a bolt on flange (u-joint) and you could just detach it. It seems easier now that all I have to do is unbolt the motor from the rail kit, then lift it out....Nice!!!
Back to the garage for me!
See ya...

hoolign
08-18-2002, 02:31 PM
Hollis,
How'd you make out? don't let that thing get the best of you !

Hollis
08-19-2002, 12:45 PM
SpectraToad, So all I have to do is disconnect the motor mounts and the bracket beneath the bell housing and slide the engine back??

Hollis
08-19-2002, 12:49 PM
Hoolign, I recieved your starter. Thankyou. I just hope it's the right one. Please give me a couple days to find out.

diggler
08-19-2002, 12:55 PM
Hollis:
SpectraToad, So all I have to do is disconnect the motor mounts and the bracket beneath the bell housing and slide the engine back??That's right! When I first pulled my engine, I thought I had to break the U-Joint! Boy was I wrong! After going through the hassle of doing this within the bell housing, I found I could have just pulled it! What a pain in the A**! It slides right out off the splined drive shaft. Save yourself the effort and just yank it! whew!

Hollis
08-19-2002, 12:59 PM
Oh man, Thanks for replying Diggler. This may not be to bad. All I'll have to do is move the gas tank and seat. It can't be more than 3 or 4 inches can it?

diggler
08-19-2002, 01:06 PM
Hollis:
Oh man, Thanks for replying Diggler. This may not be to bad. All I'll have to do is move the gas tank and seat. It can't be more than 3 or 4 inches can it?I think it is 3". When you go to put it back in, be mindful of the splines that have to match up with the drive shaft to the u-joint off the flywheel. I would definitely recommend someone you trust lowering the engine with the hoist while you have your hands in there getting it back on. By the way, the u-joint will be female, and the drive shaft is male. Good luck!

Hollis
08-19-2002, 01:07 PM
Your the Best.

Mohavekid
08-19-2002, 01:08 PM
Yeah, the adapter is on there 3-4 inches. Just slide it forward, it'll come right off. Hopefully you have enough room behind your seat and tank.