PDA

View Full Version : How good are edelbrock carbs?

ryantparks
08-06-2003, 08:11 PM
Im buying a new carb for my 502ci and can get a good deal on an edelbrock but was wondering if their marine carbs are any good or should I just stick with the Holly brand like I have now? The motor is all stock and I am thinking of a 750cfm.

victorfb
08-06-2003, 08:51 PM
the 502/502HP was set up to use an 850 holley. i have only used the edelbrocks on a motorhome and a small block camaro. both worked great. though i am planning on useing the holley 850 DP on my 502. with a victor intake, and edelbrock marine oval port heads.

FryJet
08-06-2003, 10:13 PM
You know, for years I did not like Holley, no reason why, I just heard all my buddy's horor stories. Well I built a engine for a buddy of mine and he wanted a Holley so here we go. I bought a book on Holley's and that's all it took. I now only use Holley's because I understand them , books really do help. They, to me, are a much more user freindly carb. Jet changes are WAY easier, Carter/Edelbrocks are not much fun and the metering rods and metering rod spring kill me now compared to tuning the Holleys. I could however get better fuel millage (automotive, not marine) with the AFB (usually 2-3 mpg better) but I had to dick with it for a day just to do it. All I have to say is buy a book on whatever carb you pick, it will make all the difference in the world when it comes to tuning and understanding them. Hope that helps and god luck.
F.J.

ryantparks
08-07-2003, 03:48 AM
Its a 502 w/410 hp

Hallett19
08-07-2003, 11:34 AM
Talk to Ty @ TPC, he sets up some HOT HOT HOT carbs. I have a TPC/Holley 780 on my 460 BBF and he got me almost 300 rpm's over my stock holley setup. However, my 650 edelbrock would backfire and cough all the time and was not tunable, it sucked, I ended up giving it to my neighbor.

Bense468
08-07-2003, 03:46 PM
They suck for performance. Go with a holley or a Barry Grant Demon. I have run the demons for a few years and have good luck.

Snorider
08-07-2003, 04:25 PM
Hallett19:
However, my 650 edelbrock would backfire and cough all the time and was not tunable, it sucked, I ended up giving it to my neighbor. LOL, what did your neighbor do that made you hate him so much?

Taylorman
08-08-2003, 05:24 AM
I run dual Edelbrock 600's and I love em. Never a problem. However, I can't comment on Holleys because I have never had one.

Hallett19
08-08-2003, 10:37 AM
Snorider:
LOL, what did your neighbor do that made you hate him so much? :D funny you ask, I used some life jackets from him and they all got stolen out of my boat in havasu, so I felt bad so I saw my junk carb sitting in the garage near my old intake manifold, he had just bought an old school bronco to fix up so I offered it up, gave it to him, turned around, and grinned all the way back to my house :cool:
[ August 08, 2003, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Hallett19 ]

infotraker
08-08-2003, 11:28 AM
I replaced the 2 660 hollies on my 440 chrysler 3 years ago with 2 600 edelbrocks. Better idle and no performance loss. The hollies seemed to always get clogged easily with varnish (from gas evaporating inbetween use). I do have 2 750 hollies on by BBC pickle with no problems so far except for the broken valve and head.

ONAROLL
08-10-2003, 09:50 PM
I have always been happy with Holley but this year I was in a hurry to get to the water with a "project" I did this winter, didnt want to pull my Holley and had a new Edlebrock 850 looking at me, slapped it on the pretty strong 454 and I only had to adjust the idle a little, its not a "marine carb" but it has been flawless and is still on the boat doing fine. just my .02

Ranz1
08-11-2003, 07:28 AM
ryantparks, What Edelbrock are you getting? Have seen the new Thunder Series Edelbrocks? I think that the one im going to get. The new feature is the "Qwik-Tune" secondary air valve. Since it new i havent found anyone that has ue them yet. Now i have a 600cfm Holley but need to upgrade in CFM anyway so i figured i try a edelbrock.

DUCKY
08-12-2003, 09:38 PM
Holleys are easier to tune, but I have an edelbrock on my truck that I pulled out of the box, set the idle mix, and idle speed, and haven't touched it since, and it runs perfectly.