PDA

View Full Version : rudders. who runs em?

victorfb
06-25-2003, 11:29 PM
i have been running the large rudder on my berk JC and i do like the control it has at slow speeds, but dont know if it "helps or hinders" at high speeds. i am now installing a place diverter and did not get the rudder. will i miss it?

Unchained
06-26-2003, 04:01 AM
I won't run without a rudder. Some say it slows jets down but other drives have rudders too.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
06-26-2003, 04:13 AM
I run one also. Really makes low speed manuvering easier. You don't have to constantly be on the gas to stear it.
Omega

hydro-KC
06-26-2003, 05:03 AM
I run one ,
Have run with and without , what high speed difference there is is very slight, The advantages
of the slow speed turning were well worth it.

Jake W
06-26-2003, 05:05 AM
When I was new to jetboating I had a Sidewinder and that thing would bouwl stear really bad so I put one on it the first time I took it out let the wife drive and she ran it in to the mud and broke the dam thing,Never ran one since and never missed it.Though I did not know it was broke at first I figured it out when it started stearing its self.That was fun.Place sells both a big and small rudder.
Jake eek!

diggler
06-26-2003, 06:10 AM
I didn't have a rudder and ran out of gas at high speed (60mph). well, I had no steering then... Even though the rudder is small, it sure makes a big impact on turning when you lose power at that speed. I'll never run without one again.

Nubbs
06-26-2003, 06:11 AM
I run the small place diverter rudder. Never ran without, but I like it with the rudder.

LakesOnly
06-26-2003, 06:43 AM
What's a rudder??? :rolleyes:
LO

Blown 472
06-26-2003, 06:47 AM
I have to run on as my diverter cable bolts to it.

XClutchboy725
06-26-2003, 06:49 AM
I've never run one. I hear you tend to break them off when trailering!

victorfb
06-26-2003, 08:27 AM
well, so far it looks like more pro's than con's on running the rudder. im pretty sure im gunna get the small rudder atleast. the safety factor alone made the decision for me. as for breaking it while trailering, i havnt hit the large rudder i have now so im sure ill be ok with the smaller one on the place diverter. mine now is plastic and have never had a problem with it. thank you so much for the advice and oppinions.

cyclone
06-26-2003, 08:28 AM
i ran one for all of 10 minutes before i floated over a rock bar and broke it off the pump. I've just grown accustomed to oversteering at slow speeds. Doesn't bother me a bit.

victorfb
06-26-2003, 09:01 AM
are the place diverter rudders prone to breakage? i have the stock large plastic one on a JC pump. i think the place ones are aluminium.

cyclone
06-26-2003, 09:08 AM
they are prone to snapping off because they are made from cast aluminum which is quite porous (sp?). The old ones were made from brass i think which is much more flexible.

Moneypitt
06-26-2003, 09:29 AM
I use what could be considered a very large rudder on my 69 Tahati,Berkley J A/B and remove it for towing. On and off is quick and easy to do on the ramp, and while I'm doing it the plug, or lack of the plug is right in front of my face. The rudder is part of my launch routine..Moneypitt

Jbb
06-26-2003, 09:44 AM
I had the one from American Turbine on mine and It definately helped steer my Edge at docking speeds...especially for my wife. I just replaced the droop snoot and diverter to a place setup ....and I will probably buy theirs too...And, rudder on /off had no effect on top speed on my boat

Tom Brown
06-26-2003, 10:05 AM
so... should I be running a skeg on my Mercury SportJet?

LakesOnly
06-26-2003, 12:31 PM
Oh yeah, I do run a rudder; it's called a gas pedal...
:D
LO

Back Forty
06-26-2003, 01:31 PM
I have only owned one of these jets so far and mine does not have a rudder. I find it hard to believe that the rudder provides any help whatsoever with a jet application. With a fixed prop boat, water is being diverted left or right by the rudder. With a I/O or whacker boat, the prop provides left or right. With a jet its the position of the nozzel. All of these boats are in reality directed left or right by propulsion whether it be past a rudder or the direction of the propulsion. The idea that a rudder will save you if you lose power seems wrong to me by experience. I have some rather dramatic small boat experience from my time in the coast guard. I have always experienced that a boat with a decent sized rudder that is up to speed and loses power will barely do more than wag its ass left or right according the steering input. The boat comes off plane and usually does nothing more that swing left or right. The boat will always continue in the general direction you were pointed after your off plane regardless of where the rudder is. The small rudder usually seen on a jet has always seemed to me as a novelty and nothing more than a feel good to the folks that are used to a prop boat. I don't mean to get anybody fired up here. This has been my experience.
A reference: Once on Lake Crescent out in Wa. State, a guy in an open console 19' or so Boston Whaler decided to put his bow to us and drop the hammer.(and outboard boat) We were in somebody's personal little 16' skiff. Mr. Dumbass rolled back the throttle and cut the wheel. The Whacker died out, came off plane and ran up on top of the boat I was in and slid back off before we took on water. All of this while the wheel was cut hard and Mr. whacker was shitting his drawers. A whacker has much more affective rudder surface area than any jet I've ever scene.
I will say that I am highly experienced at dockside manueverablility. This boat of mine is as menueverable as any single drive boat I've ever ran. I personally assume that the jet boat rudder is a trinket item however must admit again that I haven't driven one yet. So I'll say that it certainly "could" offer a difference.
Here was one of my boats while in Wa. St.
http://home.online.no/~lawford/xrl/images/44363-44393-b.jpg
[ June 26, 2003, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Back Forty ]

roostwear
06-26-2003, 01:53 PM
Havasu on a holiday weekend.

Heatseeker
06-26-2003, 01:56 PM
I took the rudder off of my boat the day I bought it. Before I even had it out on the water. I even machined down in length the pin that it attached to also. Less drag=more speed, however slight.
I was shown a long time ago how uneffective a rudder on a jet really is. And I don't mind a little oversteering at idle.

Frosty_pop
06-26-2003, 03:22 PM
I run the place small polished one. Helps alot on idle steering, didn't notice any differance in speed with and without it.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/390diverter-med.jpg

TRG
06-26-2003, 06:10 PM
i have a brand new small place rudder and it is for sale for 50$626-991-9031 todd

MikeF
06-26-2003, 06:28 PM
If you do most of your boating w/ family, then I would put one on. When you are running along and slow to attempt to avoid some type of obstruction in front of you...you'll be glad you did idea .
Racing (in a controlled environment) = no rudder needed (but would still be a "good" idea!).
:D

stonehedge
06-27-2003, 12:44 PM
I have a berk, and a long berk snoop, and a jetavator. Can I install a small rudder? I always call the devertor a place, but I think the hand control is place, but the actual devertor is a jetavator? Does that make sence? Anyways, can I add a rudder?

VanDeano
06-28-2003, 01:15 AM
Rudder a big PLUS when docking!

Back Forty
06-28-2003, 06:36 AM
Tricks are for kids
:rolleyes:

Danhercules
06-28-2003, 09:07 AM
victorfb:
i have been running the large rudder on my berk JC and i do like the control it has at slow speeds, but dont know if it "helps or hinders" at high speeds. i am now installing a place diverter and did not get the rudder. will i miss it? Not if you learn how to drive!!!!!!! :p smile_sp

JetBoatRich
06-28-2003, 10:13 AM
I ran both with and without, not much difference. It seems to help in the marina, at the same just watch the gas and you can control the boat without it.

TOOMNYTOYS
06-28-2003, 11:19 AM
Back Forty is that a Munsen alumn. boat you had their?

rivercrazy
06-28-2003, 11:27 AM
I ran a place large rudder on my AT-309 pump almost all the time on a 21 daycruiser.
It made a large difference in docking. Also in skiing it kept the boat from being tail dragged by larger skiers.
I never broke one off either trailering or tagging anything under the water.
I doubt it makes a speed difference at speeds below 65 or so

Cas
06-29-2003, 06:52 AM
diggler:
I didn't have a rudder and ran out of gas at high speed (60mph). well, I had no steering then... Even though the rudder is small, it sure makes a big impact on turning when you lose power at that speed. I'll never run without one again. Wasn't it you that almost ran into someone at Tower Park last year because the rudder broke and it was flopping around? :p
I like it without one. I also like docking much better without the rudder, just go straight at the dock at about 2mph until you're about 5ft away, crank the wheel, toss it in reverse and give it some gas. Butt end swings around for a nice easy dock job. It takes a little practice but it works great.
[ June 29, 2003, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: Cas ]

Havasu Hangin'
06-29-2003, 07:25 AM
roostwear:
Havasu on a holiday weekend.
http://home.online.no/~lawford/xrl/images/44363-44393-b.jpg Parker every weekend:
Can't see the wakeboard boats in the pic, though...

SCUBA STEVE
06-29-2003, 07:47 AM
lmao HH. That was too funny.

victorfb
06-29-2003, 08:42 AM
oh cmon now... i think havasu and parker both get bigger chop than that on the weekends. dont they?

bp
06-29-2003, 10:04 AM
at the last njba race, i noticed pete mcconnel has one on his texas tunnel. i didn't get a chance to ask him about it. he runs in the 110-115 range, 9:30ish. his rudder was much smaller than others i've seen, and quite thin. if it helps make the boat go straight, it's probably a good thing. wink

Havasu Hangin'
06-29-2003, 03:58 PM
SCUBA STEVE:
lmao HH. http://home.online.no/~lawford/xrl/images/44363-44393-b.jpg
Steve- there's three more things you can't see in this Parker picture:
1. Hustler's rudder off his jet is at the bottom of the river...compliments of Riverdave.
2. That boat just got cut off by a PWC.
3. Boatcop is (just out of the picture) pulling that boat over for a "safety inspection" (breathalizer in hand).

manuel
06-29-2003, 05:07 PM
I have a Jacuzzi Y and the rudder is mounted with it sticking out past the end of the nozzle, but in the diagrams they have it going foward,
I don't see many of these so I don't have anyone who could tell me which is best so I'm hoping you guys know the answer,forward or backwards ? Thanks, Manuel

Back Forty
06-30-2003, 04:25 AM
TOOMNYTOYS, what is an Munsen aluminum?
This pic is of a 44' MLB off of La Push Wa.
Steel hull, and about 39,000 lbs.

CoastGuardSteve
06-30-2003, 09:07 AM
Did you know Matt Schlimme? He was a good friend of mine from school at Yorktown.
Steve

Back Forty
06-30-2003, 10:29 AM
Ya. I was stationed with him. I was a fireman in the opposite duty section. He was a good guy and a great friend. I visited the cemetary shortly afterwards on my way across country to the Dallas in Charleston. He had 13 days If I remember correctly before he went on terminal leave.
12 Feb 97

CoastGuardSteve
06-30-2003, 01:15 PM
I went to Sta. HumBay and he ended up at La Push...we were supposed to drive across country together taking turns with the lead. Great guy and a terrible loss for anyone that was lucky enough to know him. It was numbing to hear what had happened. While I was at StaHumBay we had to recover two of our own helo's and the crew of a USAF C-130. I had enough and called it quits. It still hurts...

Back Forty
06-30-2003, 01:26 PM
QUOTE: "I had enough and called it quits. It still hurts... "
I know.

hydro-KC
07-07-2003, 09:17 AM
I need to change part of my rudder answer.
This 4th of july weekend i ripped my rudder off.
Just cruising along nothing in site , BAM , felt it , didnt slow me down.
When pulling the boat out of water i noticed it.
Damn its gone , snapped it clean off, pin is still there. Did not hurt my steering nozzle at all.
But i still will run one, ordered another today,just for the safety of the "NO ENGINE POWER"
steering ability. For example bad gas , going fast , motor craps out you can still steer yourself into a safe stop, without thrust. It has happened to me, and probally will again since i buy fuel on the water at many small crappy marinas.