PDA

View Full Version : Diverter Problems

foss75
06-07-2002, 11:17 PM
I am having problems with my diverter. Unfortunately, it is not a Place Diverter, but a Barracuda diverter of some kind. It seems to be very slow and often does not work at all under load or at higher speeds (45-60 mph on my boat). What is an average time to go from all the way up to all the way down or vice versa? Right now I am looking at 6-8 seconds out of the water and 10-12 seconds in the water, time increases with load/speed. Also, is there anything I can check, other than the pump? Maybe I am overlooking something. Thanks, in advance, for your help.

riodog
06-08-2002, 12:05 AM
If it's anything like a PD, first check the fluid level. Make sure it's full and the lines are bled. THEN check to see if it's getting a full 12 volts of juice. A PD will not operate on anything less than 12 volts and should be wired direct to a solid power source and not through the key.

BBB
06-08-2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by riodog:
If it's anything like a PD, first check the fluid level. Make sure it's full and the lines are bled. THEN check to see if it's getting a full 12 volts of juice. A PD will not operate on anything less than 12 volts and should be wired direct to a solid power source and not through the key.
Also worth noting, if your 12volt supply has to go any extended distance to the power source, battery, you might consider rewiring with a heavier gauge wire than what is supplied. This was done on my boat and it made a noticable difference...

foss75
06-14-2002, 11:07 PM
Thanks all! I have checked the fluid levels and they are good right now, but the problem is that the pump leaks constantly, so it is never full. The pump has been replaced under warranty twice already, but they refuse to put a better one in. I also checked the distance to the power source and it is onle about 1 1/2 feet. I have also noticed that in a recent attempt to fix the pump problems, the dealership installed a new piece on the diverter itself. To make it fit he grinded it out and then stuck it on so it would have full range of motion. Please tell me this is not normal.