PDA

View Full Version : FUMING MAD OVER FUMES!

ginoj
03-28-2002, 03:32 PM
I have a 2001 35' Motion cat. The raw gas fumes are killing me!! When running in choppy water you actually have to put your head above the canopies to not sufficate. I have had it back to the factory 3 times and they can't fix the problem. They say this is normal and everyone deals with it. I have had about 12 boats and never had this problem. There is no sign of gas in the bilge of around the sending units. I found out these boats don't havr actual gas tanks. What they do is section off part of the hull and put a top on it. (Dosen't sound too safe to me!). Any Suggestions??!!

ratso
03-28-2002, 04:51 PM
Don't smoke. Seriously though, there should be no gas fumes. I can't give you any legal advice but it sounds like that is what you need. Maybe check with another company that builds a comparable boat and see what they say. Those fumes could possibly cause an explosion.

Chestah Cheetah
03-28-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by ratso:
Don't smoke.
Shit, I wouldn't drive it anymore. I agree with Ratso, I don't care what they tell you, IT'S NOT NORMAL! You and your friends are suppose to choke all day in the boat? I would definitely talk to a few other builders and ask them what their thought on it is (keep records) and then take that to Motion. If they decline to fix the problem, take them to court. Should be an easy win.

Skaterfast
03-28-2002, 06:25 PM
I've got a 24 Skater and the tanks are the same way.I love it that way.No aluminum to crack or welds to break.An unatended aluminum tank that comes loose can rub a hole through the bottom of your boat in 2 years.If you haven't taken your builder for a ride yet,I suggest it.Let him tell you"deal with it" as he is passing out in your boat.

propless
03-28-2002, 06:44 PM
Talk to the Coast Guard. This may expose your boat but it save your life in the long run - you have a real problem!!!
Originally posted by ginoj:
I have a 2001 35' Motion cat. The raw gas fumes are killing me!! When running in choppy water you actually have to put your head above the canopies to not sufficate. I have had it back to the factory 3 times and they can't fix the problem. They say this is normal and everyone deals with it. I have had about 12 boats and never had this problem. There is no sign of gas in the bilge of around the sending units. I found out these boats don't havr actual gas tanks. What they do is section off part of the hull and put a top on it. (Dosen't sound too safe to me!). Any Suggestions??!!

Chestah Cheetah
03-29-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by propless:
you have a real problem!!!
All I know is that you just spent a couple hundred grand to choke on fumes and the builder is telling you it's normal. Next time give me 10 bucks and I'll let you sit in my garage with my truck running. Saves you a bucket of cash but I guarantee you'll get the same dizzying affect.

VitaminSea
04-02-2002, 04:43 PM
It sounds to me like the vent is not working, leak in the vent hose, or the fuel cell has a pin point leak. SOMETHING IS DEFINATELY WRONG. Don't drive it. Cliff

euby
04-09-2002, 10:26 AM
i don't care what anyone would tell you that is not only not "normal" but its not even safe. i would try to resolve with factory again and then it would be off to see judge wapner.

25OUTLAW
04-09-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by ginoj:
Where is the gas vent where the pressure is relieved when fueling? If it is happening in rough chop you could be splashing up enough to get significant vapors out of the vent. If it is near where the low pressure area is created by your canopies cutting through the wind then whalla fumes in the cockpit. Same thing happens the a SUV if you drive around with the back gate up and your exhaust is routed straight out the back. You may be able to do some experimenting with creative ducting. If you find out that is the problem then make Motion Cat foot the bill to route the vent in a proper place. Just a thought from an engineering aspect.
Larry