PDA

View Full Version : Winter project off to a shitty start!!!

PussyPusher
12-11-2002, 12:40 PM
So I decided to do some work to the ol boat this winter and first on the list was to install soem new guages. Well before you know it I have the motor out of the boat for a list of fixits. I found that the stringers are now just a bunch of bacon bits inside a pretty fiberglass shell. I noticed that the engine was leaning to one side and that is how I finally discovered this wonderful project starter. So the question is how many of you have replaced the stringers before and how did you do it?????
Thanks
SHawn

Bow Tie Omega
12-11-2002, 01:09 PM
I am finishing this project as we speak. What a pain in the ass!!! My hardest time was cutting all of the old shit out. Building the new stringers was actually fun. I am just in the process of starting to fiberglass them in. Pay the money to have them done if you can. If you do it yourself, make sure that you have a skillsaw, jigsaw, belt sander, drill motor( not cordless and with a cutting disk), and I bought a rotozip which was invaluable for those awkward places. They even have a fiberglas bit you can use for cutting. The Philipean Mahogany used as the new stringers was $110 (2-2x8x12), fiberglass, resin and filler was around $350. Im getting ready to start my 5th weekend on this project. It should be done this weekend. Most importantly, take your time and do it right. If you rush and screw up, you will just be doing it over again next year or sooner. Make mental notes as you take things apart of how the water is getting to the stringers. I sealed my stringers with a coat of resin, paying special attention to where I bolted the stringers together. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at jbbrosch@msn.com ........Good luck, Joe

Infomaniac
12-11-2002, 01:14 PM
RiverDave:
Very Simple, for the money and frustration it's going to cause you I would take it over to HavasuBarney.
www.havasubarney.com (http://www.havasubarney.com)
I'm sure people are getting sick and tired of hearing that for every fiberglass question, but the reality remains for the prices he's charging, and the quality of the work I don't think you could beat it even doin it yourself unless your in the industry somehow.
RDThis is good advice. It will be done correctly and in a timely manner. Set your engine back in and it is a done deal.