PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Please

Jet 460
07-14-2002, 03:35 PM
Finally got my CVX (460/berkley JE) running good (new heads,carb) and after a few hours of running fine i decided to open it up a little and it ran fine, I slowed down past the marina then went to get back up and it felt like there was a stick in the pump or something (at least thats how it was described to me by the previous owner) well i stopped, checked the pump and found nothing inside. I then went under, checked the intake grate and it also was fine. Now when you throttle it to get up on plane it almost acts like a clutch slipping and when I came in to load up I got a small kinda knock/vibration at idle (from the rear, not the motor). The engine is spot on, starts/runs excellent. This is my first jet and while i love the thing its starting to get the better of me, also i looked in at the impeller and it looks fine, thanks, Cal

Hotcrusader76
07-14-2002, 03:44 PM
Sounds like your pump needs some TLC...
Bearings? Get them checked...
If you need some carburetor advice or recommendations please email me tdlofstrom@tpcracing.com .
www.tpcracing.com (http://www.tpcracing.com)
Ty

sandsucker
07-14-2002, 06:04 PM
two things to look for a small stick or rock in one of the impeller openings look in all 4 or fish line around shaft in front of impeller.

Infomaniac
07-14-2002, 08:56 PM
I bet the shaft bushing is worn out. Sorry man. Easy fix if the shaft is not worn also.

J-P-JETTER
07-15-2002, 06:25 PM
I had the same problem once or 3 times before. It was a small rock stuck inside the impeler. Check it real good, I could bearly see this rock more like I felt it poped it out ran great. Hope this helps

Oldsquirt
07-15-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Jet 460:
.....well i stopped, checked the pump and found nothing inside. I then went under, checked the intake grate and it also was fine.......also i looked in at the impeller and it looks fine.........
460, when you say you looked inside the pump, are you saying you removed the handhole cover to check the shaft and front of the impeller? As far as the "looked in at the impeller",if you are referring to looking in through the nozzle assembly, that is not the impeller you are seeing, but the outlet vanes of the bowl. To inspect the backside of the impeller, you must remove the bowl/nozzle assembly.
Start by removing handhole cover. If no debris is seen, look for damaged impeller blades. Also reach in and grab the shaft. Try to move it up/down or side to side. This tests for worn tailshaft bushings(they are located in the bowl assembly). If youstill haven't found anything, you are looking at removing the bowl to inspect for debris stuck between impeller and the front side of the vanes in the bowl, or damage to back side of impeller.
A very good reference for all jetters(particularly new ones)is "Seloc Marine Jet Drive". Shows step by step assembly and disassembly.
Good Luck and let us know what you find.

Jet 460
07-16-2002, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the replys, it must have been a rock or something because after looking it up and down i put it back in the water and it was back to normal. Thanks for the help, Im a previous prop owner and while I've enjoyed every bit of getting this thing back to respectable, it is a learning curve. I cant tell you how much ive learned just reading everything from this site, THANKS
(rare upstate NY Jet Boater)