PDA

View Full Version : Engine not firing. 460 Content.

stashtrey
03-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Okay.... I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to engines so forgive me if this post is not a winner.
I just pulled my boat out of storage this week to start going through it. Initiallly my plan was to just replace the carpet and change the oil/plugs etc. The last time I was out the engine ran beautifully.... no problems... fired right up and ran all day long. I put it away back in late October and did nothing to it. It doesn't get cold enough here to freeze. I just tried to start it up and got nothing.... it just turns and turns and turns. It doesn't even attempt to fire. I tried some choke cleaner in the carb to get it going and got nothing. I had seen this done many times in the past so I thought it might work for me.
Well... I pulled all the plugs, everything looked fine. My newbie diagnosis is that it's not getting any spark.... but I honestly have no clue.
Can anyone tell me some things I should be thinking of? It is a points type ignition.... could that need to be changed? I have no clue what to do besides take it somewhere to have it checked... but I'm thinking it might be something simple that I'm just not aware of.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!!

Squirtin Thunder
03-12-2006, 02:51 PM
Give me a call I think I can help.
Jim

obnoxious001
03-12-2006, 02:52 PM
I guess by "choke cleaner" you meant engine starting fluid? I don't like to use the stuff, but it would tell you if you simply have a fuel problem, which might be your first guess after letting it sit for a few months. I guess you just have the mechanical fuel pump?
While you have a spark plug out, put the plug wire on the end of the plug, lay the plug somewhere on the engine that will give it a ground connection, and turn the engine over so that you can see if the plug is sparking. You can pull the distributor cap and make sure the points are opening and closing correctly, perhaps there is corrosion on them? You can also pull the flame arrestor and work the carb linkage and see if it is squirting fuel.

YeLLowBoaT
03-12-2006, 03:10 PM
where are you in Sac??? I can help I am in fair oaks...

Hallett19
03-14-2006, 10:59 AM
I would replace the points with something newer, I had points and they would work one day and not the next, ever since changing to MSD distributor and ignition, I have never skipped a beat.
Change the points for the win !!

centerhill condor
03-14-2006, 11:08 AM
I'm agreeing with H19... however, since you have points and maybe no pacemaker in your chest grab a sparkplug wire.. or have the wife do it and turn over the engine...you'll know in a non-lethal way if you have spark or not. Also, fuel can go bad in the winter months even if not cold.
you can upgrade to a simple solid state (non-breaker point) ignition system for less than $150 used on some internet auction site.
try not to run the starter for longer than 120 seconds. they can overheat!

Hallett19
03-14-2006, 11:59 AM
I had the Petronix non points ignition deal and I still had problems, I think it was my 30 yr old distributor, but as Wes (froggystyle) always told me, just put new stuff on old motors, eliminate the problem of trouble shooting and be reliable on the water... plus an MSD with a soft touch rev limiter never hurt nobody.

Keyser
03-15-2006, 08:30 PM
I think I know the problem. It's that big blue oval thats not letting it start.
Sorry I had to say it. :p Dont mind me, I'll be going now.

Keyser
03-15-2006, 08:31 PM
Wait, did he say if he still had points or not?????

stashtrey
03-16-2006, 06:39 PM
Thanks everyone for responding to my thread. Sorry I didn't reply until just now.
I managed to get it started!
I pulled the distributor cap off, loosened the points, took some sandpaper and cleaned them off. I then did the same to the rotor. I then found the high-point, gapped it at 17 and tightened it up. Put it back together, turned the key and it came to life. Blew black smoke into my garage and house and pissed off the wife but it was running..... definitely worth it.
I'm going to run it with the points for this season and I'm looking to do a full rebuild at the end of the season when I have some cash saved.
Ripped out all the carpet and cleaned it up and I'm installing new carpet this weekend. Should be ready to go when things warm up!!!
Again... thanks to all who responded. I really appreciate everything. One day, when I'm not a complete newbie I'll pass down the information I learn on this whenever I can.
Here are a few pics of the boat... I've since replaced the steering wheel and added a nice matching bimini.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/1093751/B1.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/1093751/B2.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/1093751/B3.jpg

Squirtin Thunder
03-17-2006, 12:30 AM
If you would like an extra Prestolite dist let me know.
Also the Crane XRI point replacement is not that expencive and it has a rev limiter built in. Let me know I am sure I can help further.

centerhill condor
03-17-2006, 04:21 AM
very nice boat... stash.. not a girlfriend burner and has everything you'd need for a nice day on the water!