PDA

View Full Version : Dyno What???? Where is the tradition????

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-26-2003, 11:54 PM
Why is it all I read is about dyno's :confused: ?? Why cant it be like the good ol' days when people just built a good looking motor that was turnkey?? Not to stir up anything but I am happy with just having a sweet looking ass ride thats TURNKEY wink If everybody is so big on hp/torque then why dont I see that many people from here out racing at the drags? All I see with big hp/tq numbers is a nother reason to spend time bent over a boat fixing and tuninng! All I want to do is general maintance and cleaning thats it.I dont see how people get fun out of always fixing something :confused: Just a little something to think about guys. I just plain love all jets........Slooowwwww(like mine) and fast wink wink wink !!!!!!!!

Floored
06-27-2003, 05:07 AM
glad to hear you are up and runnin. my 455 isn't the fastest or slowest but it fires off and runs every time. this is year 4 on my motor and I dont run anything but breathers and still don't even mist the valve covers on hard passes. only problem with my Biesemeyer has been that "T" valve and not enough water time. If anybody has had it tough with a boat it been you, and my hats off to you for your hanging in there and not just jumpin in front of a weed wacka and ending it all.hope op6 was fun for ya.

Taylorman
06-27-2003, 05:26 AM
whats the problem with your t valve?

cyclone
06-27-2003, 07:58 AM
dynoing my motor had nothing to do with not wanting to maintain it later on. If it did, i wouldn't have gone with a mechanical roller cam that requires me to perodically adjust the valve lash. I did it because i knew that my baseline tuneup would not net the hp and torque gains that a precise tuneup on the dyno would. I was right and small things like readjusting the valve lash, timing and carburetor jetting meant the difference between droppping a motor that only made 580hp in my boat (1st and 2nd pull dyno figures) and dropping a 740hp motor in (22nd, 23rd, 24th dyno pulls after adjustments). The dyno session was worth every penny to a guy like me who isn't an engine builder or mechanic.

cyclone
06-27-2003, 08:04 AM
Here's a couple of things that i learned from the dyno.
1. An extra quart of oil in the pan can cost you 10-20hp. I filled my 10 quart pan with 9 quarts of oil which put the oil up past the windage tray where the crankshaft was able to grab it and sling it all over the inside of the block. On the dyno the motor is mounted level. In my boat, i think its at 4 degrees. In the boat, the oil level at the rear of the pan would be even higher. This cost me power. We drained 1.5 quarts of oil out of the motor and picked up 19hp. I wouldn't have known this without the dyno. So now i run 7-8 quarts of oil in the pan plus 1 in the filter and whatever is in the oil passages.
2. Switching from straight 40wt oil to a 5w30 oil was good for another 5hp.
this was just a small sample of what the dyno session taught a non-engine builder like me.

Floored
06-27-2003, 08:17 AM
Was breaking spring but they sent me the new style valve seat and its working ok now. I still carry 2-3 extra springs with me for in case. went out last wed. and it was perfect all day so maybe I'm winning.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-27-2003, 03:19 PM
Floored:
glad to hear you are up and runnin. my 455 isn't the fastest or slowest but it fires off and runs every time. this is year 4 on my motor and I dont run anything but breathers and still don't even mist the valve covers on hard passes. only problem with my Biesemeyer has been that "T" valve and not enough water time. If anybody has had it tough with a boat it been you, and my hats off to you for your hanging in there and not just jumpin in front of a weed wacka and ending it all.hope op6 was fun for ya. Damn floored, where have you been bud? I havent heard from ya in a long time. Thanks for the compliment. I want to prove to myself and others that an olds is a very good engine with some dedication,time and $$$ wink Now its time to finish my 454 Big Bad Ass chevy :D wink wink Ya know the one thats going to be fast :D