PDA

View Full Version : Seastrainer

Taylorman
02-24-2003, 01:26 PM
Anyone ever use a seastrainer in a jet. I was out this weekend and there was alot of trash in the water because of heavy rain we recently had. I got trash in my Bassett t valve and it got stuck open. Just thinking about what kind of filter I could put on to catch small pieces of trash to fix that. Thanks.

PussyPusher
02-24-2003, 01:33 PM
I was wondering the same thing!
PP

GlastronGuy
02-24-2003, 05:11 PM
Never used one but this is what one of the pros said a few years back on another board. "In a jet, the cooling water from the motor comes in through the pump. If you place something (strainer) between the pump and the motor, what happens to the motor if it becomes clogged?"
I assume you would see the temps rise dramatically but you would have to watch those gauges very closely. Seems like a risky proposition.

sleekcraft76
02-24-2003, 06:00 PM
http://www.***boat.net/image_center/data/521/151DSC00395-med.JPG
just made this one i will give it a try.
it is nice to be a toolmaker at a 24/7 machine shop!
[ February 24, 2003, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: sleekcraft76 ]

Rexone
02-24-2003, 06:07 PM
The whole purpose of a strainer is so the intake hose and fittings "don't" get clogged with weeds and other crap. If you have enough junk to clog the strainer the problem would be far worse without it to catch that stuff. A strainer's purpose is to filter the intake water (in any application, not just jets) so I fail to see the logic in worrying about it becoming clogged beyond what you would normally worry about with a hose or fitting becoming clogged and overheating the motor.
[ February 24, 2003, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: Rexone ]

Taylor LP
02-24-2003, 06:44 PM
The problem I see is that if the strainer became blocked and cutoff the water to the engine you might see a drop in temp as shown by the gauge. This is due to the fact that on most engines the sensor for the gauge is at the top of the manifold. As soon as the water level in the block falls the sensor isn't in contact with liquid, only air. Probably a good idea to mount the sensor in the block somewhere lower down.
Sleek, thats a sharp looking piece. Let us know how it works out for ya.

sleekcraft76
02-24-2003, 07:04 PM
that is why a water pressure gauge in the dash is important to me, no pressure no water

Taylor LP
02-24-2003, 07:15 PM
Sleek......
Where do you tap for pressure, and do you use a mechanical or electrical gauge?

Taylorman
02-24-2003, 07:20 PM
GlastronGuy:
Never used one but this is what one of the pros said a few years back on another board. "In a jet, the cooling water from the motor comes in through the pump. If you place something (strainer) between the pump and the motor, what happens to the motor if it becomes clogged?"
I assume you would see the temps rise dramatically but you would have to watch those gauges very closely. Seems like a risky proposition. A jet is no different from any other boat that would use a sea strainer. All boats get water from the lake and if the strainer gets cloged then it could cause damage no matter if its a jet or any other type.

Taylorman
02-24-2003, 07:25 PM
Rexone:
The whole purpose of a strainer is so the intake hose and fittings "don't" get clogged with weeds and other crap. If you have enough junk to clog the strainer the problem would be far worse without it to catch that stuff. A strainer's purpose is to filter the intake water (in any application, not just jets) so I fail to see the logic in worrying about it becoming clogged beyond what you would normally worry about with a hose or fitting becoming clogged and overheating the motor. Do you sell a strainer that would be suited to a smaller boat like a jet. What would something like that sell for? I look on your web sight today and the rex strainers look pretty big for a jet boat. How much are they?

Rexone
02-24-2003, 10:11 PM
TM, our new superstrainer is about 7 1/2" tall including the top. I have some strainers left using the spun stainless can that measure about 2" shorter. They are $435, superstrainer is $477. Both have the identical late model screw on tops with the stainless nut like on the website. Only difference is the can construction and the height. If you need more info let us know. Thanx