PDA

View Full Version : cv-23 windsheild

hoolign
04-01-2003, 01:45 PM
who can hook me up with a windsheild?I saw someone on here last year who made one,anyone remember who that was?
p.s hmmm, avatar is a tad big, he he,cant seem to shrink it,any suggestions/
[ April 01, 2003, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: hoolign ]

thedroid
04-01-2003, 05:44 PM
Dude,
I called glastron cause my local dealers were so lame they couldn't crack a book to see if the windshields were even still available. Turns out they are and I was given the name of a dealer out west, (I think it was Mt Vernon, Washington) but the cost was 380 bucks per side jawdrop plus about $80 in freight. SOOOO I got a hold of a plastics company, Cope plastics, and found out a sheet of .250 polycarbonate sheet 48x96 in bronze was about $240. Haven't bought any yet but still may. I have done some plastic forming in the past and the most critical part is to keep moisture out of the piece when forming. if you don't it will create bubbles. I may still give it a shot. Let me know if your interested to help defray some costs. IF you find something cheaper or better let me know.
What year is your Carlson? Mine is a 78 with a 429 CJ that I just rebuilt this winter. Cool old boats. Send me a shot for my file if you've got one.
:)
Good luck

Hydro-Thunder
04-01-2003, 07:11 PM
Could'nt you make it in 4 pieces? if so I think it would be pretty easy to make one.
Jesse
76 CVX 20'

phegan
04-01-2003, 08:28 PM
i made one for my sanger,it has three panels and its about 18 " high.
it wasnt that hard to make.

Boomer
04-02-2003, 05:28 AM
I had a cv23 I had a company in New York make me one. It was ccmi as I remember they were cheaper than Glastron. Look on Todds classic Glastrons on the net, they have listings for windsheilds. Also a freind of mine went to Tap plastics and bought a sheet of plastic that could be bent by hand to get the curves you need,it is the same as they use for motorcycle windsheilds and was alot cheaper but not as thick.

hoolign
04-02-2003, 07:15 AM
Thanx for the tip..(said the hooker to the leoper) :D
Im going to have to do some searching,380 per side USD is like 8000 CDN... eek! .Droid it's kinda a mystery as to the year,the hull is stamped 79, but the paperwork says 89, it came from a boat show in CA. So I'm trying to find some info on it,with no luck so far!I have to get some pics put onto disc first,then I'll send ya a few.

spectras only
04-02-2003, 11:10 AM
Hey Jeff , walsh plastics [mark walsh ph; 604-430-2371 fax; 604-430-0030] in burnaby could make you one if you give them a template made out of cardboard :) .They made a windshield for my spectra for 360 CDN + change.I've seen pictures of glastrons in their albums :) .

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
04-02-2003, 02:29 PM
I'M LOOKING TO REPLACE MY '72 SIDEWINDER WINDSHIELD BUT NO LUCK YET. I GUESS THE PROBLEM IS THAT IT IS 1 PIECE AND FROM BOTTOM TO TOP IT HAS TO BEND OUT A LITTLE TO FORM A KIND OF HUMP,BEND BACK IN AND THEN BEND BACK OUT AGAIN FOR THE ALUMINUM FRAME. ANY ONE EVER BUILD A WINDSHIELD MOLD? HOW HOT DOES THE OVEN HAVE TO BE TO BEND IT? DOES THE MOLD HAVE TO SANDWICH(INSIDE AND OUT) THE PLASTIC? THERE ARE A COUPLE PLACES AROUND BOSTON FOR THE PLASTIC SO THE STOCK ISN'T A PROBLEM. ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE?

hoolign
04-02-2003, 04:01 PM
hey Atilla, hows it goin down there? good I hope!
I'll givem a call tommorow,what are your summer plans,think were gonna do the Kelowna thing again,poker run? I'll need some company in the back of the pack :D been a long bloody winter, I need some water under my ass...heres somthing to brighten your day,,,IT'S SNOWING RIGHT NOW!!!!

spectras only
04-02-2003, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hoolign:heres somthing to brighten your day,,,IT'S SNOWING RIGHT NOW!!!! ,WTF , you guys had springlike weather last week ?!it's nice and sunny here :D . Getting my seats reupholstered and a bench and hydraulic hatch made for a fresher look .I'll be at the Kelowna pokerrun for sure and possibly the vancouver one too.They moved the vanc date from sep to august .

jeffro
04-04-2003, 09:25 PM
hey guys -
there's no forming to a cv 23 windshield - you cut it flat and it bends around to fit. :)
mine was gone, too. i made a new one out of polished aluminum. put it on polished side out so it faces down as not to blind anybody.
looks really kickass, if i do say so myself. :D
i'd post pics, but my camera took a shit. :rolleyes:
laters
:cool:

sidewound
04-06-2003, 09:23 AM
Hey B.S.
L&L marine made a windsheid for my Sidewinder. It was peicey but the only place anywhere I could find. Just under 7 C's. Let me know if you want more info.
Peace Man
Cesar

thedroid
04-06-2003, 02:31 PM
Hey jeffro,
Hate to break the news to ya but bending around to fit is a forming process, and with a bronze polycarbonate like the original windshield is produced from it does require preheating the material to remove the moisture from the sheet and then heating to form it. But since I have only operate a fully equipped sheetmetal shop/ fabrication business I'll just go with that tasteful polished aluminum you seem so fond of. Thanks for the tip

Tom Brown
04-06-2003, 02:47 PM
Hey Hoolign, I didn't know you were a Carlson guy. You've got excellent taste. :D
Mike Strunk had some CV-23 windshields made. There may be some left. You can get hold of Mike on the CGOA main forum or the Glastron/Carlson photo site.
-- Tom

hoolign
04-06-2003, 03:11 PM
Hey Tom ...good thinkin, I almost forgot about Mike,I'll check him out! he answered questions for me before, does he still come to this board?

Tom Brown
04-06-2003, 03:25 PM
I don't know if he still comes here. I do know that he checks the photo site and the CGOA daily.

jeffro
04-06-2003, 06:39 PM
sorry droid -
i was referring to lexan. :rolleyes:
i don't know shit about plastics, i'll admit that.
again, sorry if i gave the wrong info.
:cool: