PDA

View Full Version : steering tube

Big-Tex
07-04-2002, 07:07 AM
I have a berkeley 12jb pump. The tube that goes through the transom has threads on each end, more threads on one end than the other. The cable goes through the tube and a nut from cable connects to the tube on inside of boat. My question is is there another type of nut that connects on the outside of tube, perhaps to seal water from coming in ? I have looked at all the diagrams i can find and no luck. Need help i would like to get my boat wet. Thanks.

Big-Tex
07-04-2002, 07:10 AM
Oh, and this is the steering tube and cable. I always seem to leave some things out.

WetNwild
07-04-2002, 07:35 AM
It sounds like you are missing two nuts. The nut frome the cable housing connects to the threaded tube on the inside, then another nut on the inside with a washer and then a nut on the outside with a washer and a rubber seal.

BBC502
07-08-2002, 09:21 AM
If you are talking about the end of the tube outside the boat most don't come with anything. However you can buy a end nut with a zerk fitting. This helps keep the water from penetrating the cable. Most boat shops have them and your steering rod should be 3/4" dia. Be careful not to put too much grease in it. The steering will get real tight(hydraulic reaction)......Bill