PDA

View Full Version : Sand in block

Jetdriver
08-22-2003, 10:25 AM
Whats the best way to get sound out of a block which is installed in the boat? I was thinking about just removing the Petcocks and turning the water on and firing it up. What do you guys think? I cleaned it out over the winter while I had the motor out of the boat, but I have a feeling there maybe a little more in there now. Just a question!

Blown 472
08-22-2003, 10:29 AM
I used to run ball valves for the petcocks and then open them after I pulled the boat out of the water and ran a wire up into the to clean it out.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-22-2003, 10:39 AM
I pop out the freeze plugs one at a time moving from the front of the block back running the hose and use a toothbrush and screwdriver to 'sweep' it out. I usually do one side then put new plugs in and repeat process on the other side. I don't think the petcocks are big enough to get anything out of. I found a pebble in mine last time I cleaned it out. Wonder how that got in there??? :confused: good luck. not as bad as it sounds. at least on a ford anyways.
Omega

Jetdriver
08-22-2003, 10:45 AM
I pulled the petcocks and used compressed air last time. By the time I was done I had a pile of sand 1' tall on the garage floor. So I just figured since I had been at the river alot this year that I would clean it out once again.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-22-2003, 10:49 AM
I try to do it once a season. If you wait too long the chit is like concrete. I know it can really screw up a block good too. Just be careful if you do the freezeplug way. I had a 'good buddy' knock one down inside the water cavity at the front of the block. oh well I guess I'll get it back if I can ever kill this Ford. You know that the 'freeze' plugs are actually casting plugs and are there for doing exactly what you are talking about. they use it to remove the sand during casting.......
Omega

Wet Dream
08-22-2003, 11:01 AM
OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET:
I try to do it once a season. If you wait too long the chit is like concrete. I know it can really screw up a block good too. Just be careful if you do the freezeplug way. I had a 'good buddy' knock one down inside the water cavity at the front of the block. oh well I guess I'll get it back if I can ever kill this Ford. You know that the 'freeze' plugs are actually casting plugs and are there for doing exactly what you are talking about. they use it to remove the sand during casting.......
Omega True dat. There are alot of people that think they are there and designed to pop off to avoid damage.

wet77
08-22-2003, 11:31 AM
I to remove the freeze plugs but I use the fix-it ones instead, they have a nut and washer on one end and install like your drain plug for your boat hull, just pop em out clean out the sand and put em back in!
only $1.25 at your local auto store.
just my 2 cents!!

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-22-2003, 11:38 AM
wet77:
I to remove the freeze plugs but I use the fix-it ones instead, they have a nut and washer on one end and install like your drain plug for your boat hull, just pop em out clean out the sand and put em back in!
only $1.25 at your local auto store.
just my 2 cents!! I have thought about using those. I take it you have had good luck with them??? do you put any kind of sealant on them? I often worried about the water pressure pushing them out.
Omega

Taylorman
08-22-2003, 11:45 AM
I have used them when my freeze plugs rusted through last year and sprung a leak. They are easy to install without removing exhaust. They do not leak and are hard to take out after they have been in a while. I would use some anti seize on them to prevent them from sticking to the block.

Jetdriver
08-22-2003, 08:09 PM
So would a wire coat hanger work as a good tool?

Moneypitt
08-22-2003, 08:22 PM
Those rubber quick fix plugs, are just that, a quick fix in a pinch.. I have blown one out of a BBC, (rear of block) and damn near sunk the boat. When I saw all the water in the boat, I turned to the beach and hammered it. Guess what, the harder I ran it, the worse it got, I beached it and saved it. How about a shop wet/dry vac. to draw the sand out without messing with the soft plugs...Use brass....not steel, and certainly not rubber......Moneypitt

Taylor LP
08-22-2003, 08:28 PM
If you are going to the trouble of taking out the freeze plugs, go to an appliance parts supply and get a few feet of 1/8" aluminum tubing. The stuff used to feed pilot lights on stoves. Get some compression fittings to connect it to pipe and whatever you need to connect it to a garden hose adapter.
It's real flexible, and if you smash the end of the tubing flat it makes a nice fan spray you can root around inside the block with and bust loose all the crap thats been hiding in there. Works Great!

Doug H.
08-22-2003, 11:51 PM
What happens if you left it alone, where is the sand going anyways ? will it hurt anything if you never do this proceedure ? :D

Ray Hamel
08-23-2003, 12:59 AM
Had one of those rubber plugs in mine for eight years (from previous owner) and never had it blow out or leak. In fact when I reamoved it, had to drill holes through the rubber in order to get it out. For the sand in block, at the end of each season just pulled the drain plugs, poked the sand bar with a small screwdriver to start a flow, hooked up a garden hose at the pump and lit the engine up. I just pulled the engine to replace the casting plugs and flushed the block out. Had very little sand come out. So, for me, that method seemed to work OK.

sleekster
08-23-2003, 03:23 AM
i run a sea strainer to sift out the pebbles,weeds and some sand. i am amazed sometimes at the stuff that would have tried to pass thru.

sleekster
08-23-2003, 03:23 AM
i run a sea strainer to sift out the pebbles,weeds and some sand. i am amazed sometimes at the stuff that would have tried to pass thru.

Elk Chaser
08-23-2003, 05:21 AM
Not sure what a "sea stainer" is but has anyone ever thought of using a simple Y Stainer with a fine mesh screen? Just a thought. Fairly cheap at any pumbing supply or home improvement place.
Any thoughts on that??

Sangster
08-23-2003, 07:01 AM
If your getting SAND,MUD,ROCKS & STICKS in the motor you should try runnin' your deal in some deeper water....What do you think is going thru the jet if your getting that in the motor.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-23-2003, 07:10 AM
Doug H.:
What happens if you left it alone, where is the sand going anyways ? will it hurt anything if you never do this proceedure ? :D the sand prevents adequate cooling to the bottom of the cylinders and can develop hot spots where the metal actually becomes tempered like if you heated with a torch. the metal becomes weaker in that area and stands a much better chance of developing stress cracks. sand in a block is not good....that's why I recommend this procedure at least once a season if you run in water 3ft or shallower at any time. especially if you beach your boat.
Omega

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-23-2003, 07:12 AM
sleekster:
i run a sea strainer to sift out the pebbles,weeds and some sand. i am amazed sometimes at the stuff that would have tried to pass thru. the only problem I see with this approach is if maybe you sucked up a lilly pad or something and the strainer was to become blocked. I guess as long as you watched the temp guage real close you would be alright.
Omega

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
08-23-2003, 07:14 AM
Sangster:
If your getting SAND,MUD,ROCKS & STICKS in the motor you should try runnin' your deal in some deeper water....What do you think is going thru the jet if your getting that in the motor.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: if you are running in water 3 ft or less you are sucking crap off the bottom also. usually the ramp is a good place to suck up all kinds of crap. When I beach my boat I usually cut if off in about 3 ft and let it coast into the beach.
Omega

Jetdriver
08-23-2003, 07:42 AM
Yeah we play on the Kings river and depending on what time of the summer we go there the water in some places is only 6" deep. You have to stay in the middle of the river as summer comes to an end and by October its dryed up. So we have on occasion run over sand bars that are only a couple feet below the surface.