PDA

View Full Version : One of my carborators is spitting out fuel

Give Me Some Slack
08-15-2003, 07:00 PM
The back carborator is leaking fuel. It is the first bowl on the back carborator. We also put new spark plugs and wires on. When we first fired it up it ran great but then we started it again it leaked.

Hallett19
08-15-2003, 07:05 PM
The bowl or one of the barrells ? the bowl is considered the pieces on each side of the carb, front and back, the barrells are the 4 holes with the boosters in the middle and what not. If those boosters are leaking fuel, you have a stuck needle and seat, I had the same thing happen lastinght. There is a BIG flat head screw on top of each bowl, take that off. Make sure you know where the needle and seats are set, which are the brass things you see when you take the screws off. Take them out, they un-thread like a normal screw. Pull them out and blow them out with air, you just have some crap stuck on them and it will HEMORAGE fuel into the carb even with the motor off if those are stuck, easy fix ! :D
[ August 15, 2003, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Hallett19 ]

Give Me Some Slack
08-15-2003, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the information! I will have to try take that screw off and do that. That sounds like it will work.

Snorider
08-15-2003, 07:12 PM
it will HEMORAGE fuel into the carb even with the motor off if those are stuck, easy fix ! Exactly what happened to me that forced me to get towed off the water... ruined my whole day!
Do yourself a favor and get the rebuild kits, which should fix most of your problems.
[ August 15, 2003, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Snorider ]

Give Me Some Slack
08-15-2003, 07:22 PM
How much and where do I get rebuild kits? My brother bought the 750 carbs from HBjet. They were running great for two weeks and now they are doing that.

Floored
08-15-2003, 07:57 PM
i carry spare needle and seats with me in my boat toolbox. spare power valves,jets,gaskets,clamps,fuel filter, etc. sometimes it saves your day or sometimes someone elses day. they never break when convienient

Give Me Some Slack
08-15-2003, 08:08 PM
That is a good idea. I think we will have to do that. Your right if you bring extra tools and parts it seems that things don't break down. We always bring tools!

Moneypitt
08-15-2003, 09:06 PM
If they ran good for a couple of weeks, the problem MAY be dirty fuel. Where do you buy your gas,docks,(lake/river marinas)have some of the dirtiest gas!!Their tanks are rusty, full of moisture due to the temperature differential, and clog good fuel filters quickly. If you are truly getting dirt into the needle/seat area, upgrade your fuel filter. (Another possible reason for flooding is a leaky float.)A quick fix for dirt in the needle, if you have any rubber fuel line before the carb,with the engine running pinch off the flow, bring the idle up to use the existing fuel, until the fuel level in that bowl drops, then when you release it, flow pushes the dirt out of the seat because the needle is out of the way.(float dropped due to no fuel suppy) Try it, it works!!.....Moneypitt