PDA

View Full Version : ANY HELPFUL WORDS, TAKING ON WATER

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
09-02-2003, 06:22 AM
ANY ONE OUT THERE KNOW OF AN EASY WAY TO TRADE OUT A BAD PACKING GLAND? ON MY BBC WITH A BERK JG PUMP I HAVE A NOTICABLE AMOUNT OF WATER COMING IN THE SHAFT PACKING.I TIGHTENED THE BOLTS AT LAUNCH IN JUNE, AND NOTICED YESTURDAY IT IS LEAKING AGAIN. DOES THE ENGINE HAVE TO BE PULLED? CAN I JUST LOOSEN UP THE 2 BOLTS AND PULL THE PACKING OUT? ARE THERE ANY NEW MATERIALS TO DO THIS WITH, OR JUST USE THE 30 YEAR OLD IDEA OF USING FLAX PACKING? EVER HEARD OF SOME STUFF LIKE CARBON FIBER, OR GRAPHITE PACKING? ANY GOOD FOR JET PUMPS SHAFTS? I'M HOPING TO GET MY BOAT BACK OUT ON THE MOOR SOON. IT MAY BE AFTER LABOR DAY, BUT I'M NOT GIVING UP ON THE SEASON YET!THE SEASON UP HERE IN THE NORTHEAST IS WAY TOO SHORT AS IT IS!!!...BILL.

HammerDown
09-02-2003, 06:30 AM
Nope, no need to pull the motor. What you'll have to do and what I did was to use something like a Dental Pick...and reach in there and pull the packing out. I pre soak them with something like WD-40. You can Fab something out of a stiff piece of wire, experement.
When you reinstall, and I would use the Graphite Packing for sure (great Stuff)...just remember to stagger the seams.
Easy Job. wink

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
09-02-2003, 07:15 AM
THANKS HAMMER DOWN! MY BUDDY HERE AT THE MARINA SAYS HE HAS A SET OF PACKING REMOVAL TOOLS, I'LL TRY THEM. I THINK I CAN GET THE PACKING FROM ONE OF MY VENDERS, BUT WHAT DIAMETER SHOULD I USE?THANKS, BILL.

HammerDown
09-02-2003, 08:32 AM
For a Berk shaft 5/16th (Square) GFO Graphite Packing...good stuff, lasts forever and practically needs no water for lubrication.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
09-02-2003, 09:57 AM
THANKS HAMMER DOWN! WE HAVE THAT SIZE AND EXACT BRAND IN STOCK! I'LL TRY IT TONIGHT...BILL.

Taylor LP
09-02-2003, 06:20 PM
Another way to get out the old packings is to run a 3" long drywall screw into them one at a time, and pull on the screw with a Vise-Grips.
And Hammer is right on, the GFO packing is the shit.

sidewound
09-03-2003, 06:55 PM
Bill,
Does your pump have a grease fitting for the packing? Mine does.
Last year I had the same problem and used some
FALK LTG grease that cured the problem. Easy fix maybe. I use it in anything that's a seal.
It's stiff as a starchy turd!
Peace Man :cool:
CESAR

H2OT PURSUIT
09-03-2003, 07:07 PM
Dare I ask how one knows when a turd is starchy?
By the way a dental pick is a right fine tool for removing the old packing. You know those curly picks they like to poke around in your mouth with?

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
09-04-2003, 10:00 AM
SIDEWOUND, IS THAT THE BRAND NAME OF THE GREASE? WHERE CAN I GET IT? IS IT THE SAME AS ANY OF THE MERCRUISER GREASES? IS IT JUST REALLY JELLY LIKE, SOMETHING A BIG TRUCK WOULD REQUIRE? DID YOU GIVE IT DOZENS OF PUMPS OR JUST USE IT SPARINGLY? THANKS...AGAIN...FOR YOUR VALUABLE INPUT!
H20T PURSUIT, THANKS I KNOW, LAST YEAR I BOUGHT A PICK SET OFF THE MAC TOOL TRUCK, I'LL USE THAT. THANKS!..BILL

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
09-05-2003, 03:21 PM
SIDEWOUND, ET AL...I FOUND THE ' FALK LTG' DINO BASED (NOT SYNTHETIC THE REP SAID?), PART PLASTIC VERY HIGH TEMP GREASE. IT'S SOLD FOR INDUSTRICAL MACHINES. THE PLACE I FOUND IT WAS A BRANCH OF A CHAIN ALL OVER THE COUNRTY. HOPE IT WILL WORK WELL FOR ME. (THE LEAK IS KIND OF MINOR, I'M JUST CONCERNED). THE 360 GPH BILGE PUMP COULD KEEP UP WITH IT, BUT IT WAS ALSO SUPPOSED TO RAIN FOR 4 DAYS STRAIGHT. CUST SERV. FOR MOTION INDUSTRIES INC, 800-254-3255.
TO SURE NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD BUY $13/TUBE GREASE!!! WHAT A PROCESS! AFTER AN HOUR OF CALLING AROUND, I DRIVE 2 HOURS IN MEGA TRAFFIC IN BOSTON, ON A FRIDAY, AT 6 IN THE AFTERNOON)! BUT I KICKED ASS, IT'S HERE IN MY HAND. GOING TO USE IT ON MY VERC (SP?) FITTING, LIKE SIDEWOUND MENTIONED HE HAD, RIGHT ON THE TOP CENTER OF THE TALLEST PART OF THE BERK J G PUMP.
I GOT THE GRAFHITE 5/16 SQUARE PACKING, I'LL DEAL WITH IT WHEN IT GETS TOO COLD OUT TO BLAST SAFELY(THE HARBOR HERE GETS PRETTY COLD AND THE SEAS REALLY TURN MEAN)...BILL

sidewound
09-05-2003, 04:33 PM
Hey Bill,
The Falk LTG is a super stiff grease engineered for flexible industrial couplers between motors and drives. Must have an NGLI rating of 10. It's like caramel!
I've been a "Greaser" for many years and their's nothing BADDER! TOUGH SHIT! Got a bearing goin out? Pump some of dat shit in there. Quiet's shit right down.
Hope it helps your problem. Start out with a few pumps and keep goin until you get the desired result. Re-application will be nesscessary depending on the severity of the seal problem. It's a stop-gap measure but an ok one for someone whe wants to go NOW!
CESAR

sidewound
09-05-2003, 04:35 PM
HP! A starchy one will let YOURS know when it passes. YEOW!!!!!
CESAR

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
09-06-2003, 03:45 AM
YOU GUYS ARE THE BESTEST...BILL.

mickeyfinn
09-06-2003, 04:23 AM
I work in a wastewater plant and we use a lot of pumps. We have switched from your traditional rope style packing to a new material called tom-pac. It doesn't score the shaft over time and doesn't ever have to be completely replaced. You just inject a little more to cover the loss as some of it is converted to a lubricant. Don't know of anyone who has actually used it in a jet boat but it is the same function. Here is the web-site Tom-pac (http://www.tom-pac.com/compound.htm)

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
09-06-2003, 05:06 AM
INTERESTING, FROM THE WEB SITE IT LOOKS LIKE YOU CAN MAKE ANY SHAPES YOU WANT.? WOULD YOU JUST MAKE 5/16'S INCH ROPES LIKE THE GRAPHITE STUFF IS ALREADY AND STICK IT IN? ANY OPINIOS? I DEFINATELY WANT TO USE THE BEST MATERIAL OBTAINABLE...BILL