PDA

View Full Version : Information on California Performer ?

jetboatbob
07-01-2003, 06:53 PM
I have a 1979 19' California Performer, does
anyone have info on where they were made, did
anyone take over the mold under a different name, how are the boats rated on quality and performance, does anyone know what the hull weighs and what type of power plant was originally ran? Value of this type of boat now or original cost, how many were built or how long they were in business. Basically any and all info about this boat would be greatly appreciated!
[ July 01, 2003, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: jetboatbob ]

77charger
07-01-2003, 08:19 PM
Do you mean california performance?If so they are very fast jet boats.some can be as light as 275lbs-335lbs.Which are very good for racing and only for that.There is a gullwing and a tunnel
Similar hulls are the tx19 and the youngbloods

wrightnow
07-01-2003, 08:19 PM
I have a 1986 18" California Performance gullwing that has been a great boat.
The owner of the molds is a guy name Bill Scotten and the boat are still being product in Lake Havasu. There are several other company that make pretty much the same hull (texas tunnel is one)not sure which one was copied.
Bill makes three type of hulls, a tunnel (strickly a race boat), a 18" gulwing (used alot for racing) and the 19" gullwing (more of a famly boat).
As for quality Bill only builds a few a year and usually as a perfomance boat, never heard anybody complain about the quality of the hulls.
Weight wise, The tunnels come in pretty light 275# or so, The 18" gullwings start around 350#, 19" gullwings are usually not a light layup, but under 700#
Power plants range from mild big block to blown, just depends on what the customer wanted. There was no such thing as a standard package. All where custom build.
Value - To quote someone "They are worth what you can get for it". The CP's normally sell for a hight price that any other boat of the same year. Maybe because most are still in great shape. What was the cost original no idea.
Check you pm, I gave you my number if you want to know more, fell free to call anytime I'm always willing to talk about my boat....
Mark
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1370cp.jpg

Taylorman
07-02-2003, 06:57 AM
Those california performance hulls are so nice. What the difference in the 18 and 19 gullwing other than weight?

SoCal Power
07-02-2003, 07:12 AM
The 18' is narrower. The same deck mold is used on both the 18' gullwing and 18'tunnel. Since JetBoatBob's is a 79 it was probably rigged at GS marine in the early days. Bill and Greg had an arrangement then. Now CPs are built mostly at one-off shops, GS still rigs some and Bill has been known to sell a blank here and there if he is confident the the owner will do a quality job on the installation and upholstery.
I am building a new 19' for a guy out of Aha Quin. I'll post pics of the progress if anyone is interested.
Dave Batista
[ July 02, 2003, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: SoCal Power ]

wrightnow
07-02-2003, 07:25 AM
SoCal Power:
The 18' is narrower. The same deck mold is used on both the 18' gullwing and 18'tunnel. Since JetBoatBob's is a 79 it was probably rigged at GS marine in the early days. Bill and Greg had an arrangement then. Now CPs are built mostly at one-off shops, GS still rigs some and Bill has been known to sell a blank here and there if he is confident the the owner will do a quality job on the installation and upholstery.
I am building a new 19' for a guy out of Aha Quin. I'll post pics of the progress if anyone is interested.
Dave Batista Dave, I love to see the progress and any detail you can give about the one your putting together..thanks

Cs19
07-02-2003, 07:38 AM
i also would LOVE to see some pics.

SoCal Power
07-02-2003, 05:46 PM
I'll be out for a few days (unfortunately not at the river).....I'll post some pics next week.
Have fun, be safe
db

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
08-18-2003, 01:49 PM
STILL NO PICS?? LOVE THOSE BOATS

Bense468
08-18-2003, 02:05 PM
Socal I want to see what 60 grand in a CP looks like. Show us whats up bud.
[ August 18, 2003, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Bense468 ]

SoCal Power
08-18-2003, 03:10 PM
Thanks for calling me out. Sorry for the delay. Also, Bense, I owe you a response to your PM. I'll get on that soon.
Here is the progress as of a few minutes ago. Pump is set back as far possible without cutting through the transom at the keel line. I cut the wood out of the transom at the bottom but, left the glass. This is going to be a weekend warrior so, I left the lower transom intact for added strength. I will build a T/A with a relief for inspection cover removal. You may have seen something similar out of MPD. Jack did this pump, has stainless A, double drilled bowl, bearing cap and droop. Bowl and impeller have been detailed as well. Engine will be blown BBC.
I plan to epoxy in the intake tomorrow morning when weather is cooler. The epoxy is a little too thin to work with in the heat.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/196MD_CP_Bow_81803.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/196MD_CP_Strbd_Aft_81803.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/505/196MD_CP_Pump_81803.jpg
Droop will get a wedge 3 degree down and the steering will be a one-off dual ss cylinder hydraulic system that I am currently designing. Dana Marine built a hydraulic system for a jet back in the early 90s but I don't think it ever made it to the water. Maybe it did though, not sure. The one I am making uses off-the-shelf components (helm and ss cylinders) and will be approx 1.1 turns lock to lock. I should have the mock-up done later this week and yes, I will post more pics through the progress of this project.
Thanks for the interest
db
[ August 18, 2003, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: SoCal Power ]

Bense468
08-18-2003, 06:15 PM
looks good so far. Who's boat is it? Just a friend? Will we be seeing this at aha? Was this a brand new layup?

SoCal Power
08-18-2003, 07:30 PM
It's new hull. Owner is a friend from Aha. Hope to have it in water late this year.
db

CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE
08-18-2003, 07:47 PM
NICE. I LOVE AHA QUINN. IT IS JUST A LITTLE SHALLOW FOR MY FLAT AND NOT KNOWING THE RIVER AN ROCK BARS.

77charger
08-18-2003, 07:55 PM
dave i hear that their is a blue and white placecraft waiting for it at the aha sand bar :D
Boat looks good though.when will it be ready?

wrightnow
08-18-2003, 10:28 PM
SoCal thanks for the update, keep them coming.
It must of been a challange to get Scotten to lay-up that deck. I know he like nice straight lines on all HIS boats.
Mark

SoCal Power
08-19-2003, 06:48 AM
Did he fix his oil/water problem? What was it? I'm looking forward to seeing them run, should be a good one. Will you guys be @ the sandbar Labor Day? Are you still running the flatty? updates?
Jeff,
Bill gave no grief on the gel design. I was a little surprised. The owner showed him a pic out of a magazine and he said no problem. Alex's crew did the layup. Couple of little things I'm not happy with but they will fix 'em.
db

HBjet
08-19-2003, 07:22 AM
SoCalPower, thanks for the update.
HBjet
[ August 19, 2003, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: HBjet ]

old rigger
08-19-2003, 08:02 AM
I don't know what the arrangement is now, but for years Advantage layed up Bills hulls. He's a very hands on kind of guy when it comes to his hulls, very refreshing to see cause not everyones like that.
And for those who might not know, Dave Batista, the guy who probably rigged the bulk of all CPs ever built, is one of the finest riggers on the planet. His stuff's always first rate.

77charger
08-19-2003, 03:28 PM
SoCal Power:
Did he fix his oil/water problem? What was it? I'm looking forward to seeing them run, should be a good one. Will you guys be @ the sandbar Labor Day? Are you still running the flatty? updates?
Dave the there was a screw that dropped out of the carb went thru and cracked a piston.Made it thru the blower safely(a miracle).A cylinder was cracked(hairline).Motor is being put together at a rapid pace :D (one bolt at a time if you ask steve) he hopes to have it back for labor day weekend though.I dont think i will make it but they will.Motor is being put back to the same set up but with a new block.
As for the flatty our last race was in chowchilla i took another class win :) next race is sept 20 at ming.Still running very consistent though

Jake W
08-19-2003, 04:54 PM
Wrightnow what brand are thoes Short stright headers Bassetts or Rewarders?
Thanks Jake

Bense468
08-19-2003, 04:59 PM
Look like basset shorties to me. Either way they are nice headers.
[ August 19, 2003, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: Bense468 ]

HBjet
08-19-2003, 05:02 PM
There Bassett's!
HBjet

Jake W
08-19-2003, 05:07 PM
Thanks guys :D I was all about the Twisties and have them on mine now but thoes Short strights look way better and I could have more room for my splash guard.
Thanks Jake