PDA

View Full Version : drain gas tanks

SB
05-28-2002, 11:40 AM
What's the best way to drain the water and crud out of the bottom of built in gas tanks?

txboatnut
05-28-2002, 05:12 PM
do not know if this is a option for you. I had to have a hole welded in mine but had the tank steam cleaned by a raidator shop

lakesmodified
05-29-2002, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by SB:
What's the best way to drain the water and crud out of the bottom of built in gas tanks?
SB, I bought a cheapie electric fuel pump, the kind AutoZone/Pep-Boys sells for approx $25.00. I installed two hoses, one to place in a sutable container, the other, I included a section of copper(or aluminum, etc) tubing at the end of the hose. I crimped on two wires with alligator clips, so that you can hook it up to your battery. I mounted the pump on a piece of plywood, and just use the copper tube to place into the tank and move around the bottom. I place a gallon of fresh gas into the fuel tank after sucking out all the old fuel/water, jump up and down on the trailer/boat to slosh the fuel around, and then suck it out also. Do this as many times as needed in order to clean out the tank. Ivan

SB
05-29-2002, 06:49 AM
Thanks, that's kinda what I was thinking. I was just wondering if I could effectively maneuver the tube to vacuum the whole bottom of the tank.

Licketty Split
05-29-2002, 10:43 AM
Wet dry vac..... On second thaught NO better not.... scrach scrach http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif