PDA

View Full Version : oil spraying from breathers!

Q-ball
05-29-2002, 11:41 AM
Not alot, but enough to make a mess. I have a 455 olds, moroso valve covers, and push in K&N breathers (2 of them) so I am NOT running a PCV valve. Is this my problem? The oil started spraying out on a long cross-lake 3000-3500 rpm trip to another beach. The valve covers are unbaffeled. Ideas????

superdave013
05-29-2002, 12:58 PM
You need a different breather set up.
My boat came with those when I bought it. Made a big mess when running hard. I just swaped valve covers with some that I had on another engine and all was fine. The one's that worked out for me were tall al. breathers with the foam baffles.

BowTie Rick
05-29-2002, 01:43 PM
Get some risers that are baffled and use different breathers. I run the kind designed for a puke tank system with K&N clamp-ons on the ends. I don't know how to post a picture here, but e-mail me direct and I'll send you a picture of what I have. I am at richardb@knfilters.com
-BTR

project-speed
05-29-2002, 03:52 PM
I had that same problem this weekend. I've got a 455 brand new from mondello with mondello valve covers. The thing shit oil all over the place so I put a pcv on one valve cover and left the breather on the other valve cover. This cut the oil problem in half. So i'm still working on the problem. Q-ball is your motor stock? Mine has high compression.

SLO POKE
05-29-2002, 08:00 PM
I have the same problem. I would like a photo of someones fix! Iam so tired of cleaning up oil after all the work I have done! thanks

waterfn
05-29-2002, 09:00 PM
Hey Project speed if I can ask, what did you get from mondelo and for what price? I just tanked my block so I need block, crank and pistons, so I was looking at mondelos kit. Thanks dan

beached1
05-29-2002, 09:14 PM
I had the same prob last summer. I had one pvc going into the base of the carb and one breather cap. Obviously it was the breather that was puking everywhere. So my engine builder just ran another pcv from there and punched it into the bottom of my K&N filter.
Now my engine is just like a crack smoker. Gotta suck that sh*t in then blow it out.

riodog
05-29-2002, 10:01 PM
The best, easiest, and CHEAPEST fix for an "oil all over the place" problem,(providing it's not MASSIVE), is the pan-vac system from Moroso. From each breather run a line (I use -12) to the collector on the header on that side. On the header,attach the one-way valve to the BUNG that Paul(Bassett) will weld on the collector ( $50.), then attach the line to the valve. All done! Moroso Pan-vac system, is about $30., if I remember correctly.

INFINITEJJ
05-29-2002, 10:17 PM
Sounds like ring blow by, check your compression.
JON

JETBOAT BRIAN
05-30-2002, 12:52 AM
Puke Tank=...no more mess!!
http://www.havasubarney.com/iB_html/uploads/post-5-47998-DSCF0001.JPG

Q-ball
05-30-2002, 08:00 AM
What if each valve cover had 1 breather and 1 PCV, this could be done with a hole saw easy enough. Or would 2 PCV (1 in each valve cover) be better? Anyone see a problem with either of these ideas? Thanks

HOSS
05-30-2002, 01:43 PM
Uh, PCV? What is that? Is that some emissions item for smog motors? I`m new to this so any replies are helpful.
Thanks,
BRF`s

Licketty Split
05-30-2002, 02:11 PM
I put a PCV in this weekend, but my new headers are setup for a crankcase evacuation setup does any one know how much vacume wet headers can generate?

brazosjettin
05-30-2002, 05:28 PM
you said your valve covers are not baffeled go to your local performance shop and get you some baffeled breather grommits about a 1.75 each should slow your problom down if not fix it . brazosjettin

riodog
05-30-2002, 08:31 PM
LS, the crankcase vent system is the best one of the bunch. The headers provide more than enough vaccuum to get rid of any pressure ( moisture, oil blowby, etc) and you don't need a pcv( besides, why put that stuff back down your motor?). Also, no puke tank to mount, polish or just get in the way. Just another bit of trivia, if you are really bothered by the mess, spots, etc on the back of your boat, Paul will make you a set of headers with a collector to your specs.
Riodog aka MW Fulton