PDA

View Full Version : DO YOU THINK I COULD REBUILD MY PUMP??

MarKist
02-27-2003, 07:12 PM
I have built engines and I'm mechanically incline but I've never rebuilt a pump :( :) so do you guys think I could do it!!thx Mark

malcolm
02-27-2003, 08:19 PM
Just tear into it! They're fairly simple inside. The only problem is the parts that just don't want to come apart. Just resist the urge to grab the hammer!

JetBoatRich
02-27-2003, 08:22 PM
Give it a shot and let us know how it comes out. I probably wouldn't do it, it is critical to keep the proper measurements.

MarKist
02-27-2003, 08:50 PM
damn eek! jetboatrich don't scare the shit out of me :rolleyes: thats alot of money, :p and would I be better off letting a pro do it!!how much is that going to set me back? :D :D thx Mark

BrendellaJet
02-27-2003, 09:39 PM
I just took mine out of the boat, not difficult, but it took a little bit of time(about three hours) Im going to rebuild it after MPD details my impeller. Doesn't look difficult at all to rebuild. Im going to have the case powder coated black, got a brand new diverter for it too! Cant wait to see how well she performs with the rebuild. I say you should go for it.

MarKist
02-27-2003, 10:12 PM
i've already tore it apart and its at the powder coaters ,its suppose to be ready Monday, dosen't look to hard Ijust don't won't to **** up ya know :D :D :D thanks guys Mark!!

Eric455
02-27-2003, 11:52 PM
hey halletdave knows has a buddy that used to do that kind of work, and ohhhh man did he do a good job, (@ least thats the way dave explained it to me)
come on dave give the guy ur #
eric

ezstriper
02-28-2003, 02:47 PM
Hey just remember Columbus took a chance, I'd rip mine apart if I had to(probally will sooner or later) I don't think it's a big deal just to
rebuild, but to do the RIGHT shit to make it faster another story, keep us posted inquiring minds want to know Rob...
[ February 28, 2003, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: ezstriper ]

HalletDave
02-28-2003, 03:03 PM
MarKist,
If you are going to just replace bearings and packing, I would say go for it. I would definitely check all the clearances in the pump. If you don't have any machinist experience then I would find someone who has experience with the type of pump you have and have him help you or have him check all the tolerances in the pump. If everything specs out acceptable and you are not looking for more performance or efficiency, then put it back together. If something is out of tolerance, get it fixed by an expert.
HD

spectratoad
03-02-2003, 08:48 AM
MarKist,
I just had mine done last season. But for me it was just easier to pull it out myself and take it to have it done. I may have overpaid but it ran me $1,100. New Impeller, wear ring, shaft, detailed, blueprinted etc... Had a bearing go out and pretty much toasted the impeller. I could tell the performance difference though. Just my .02
[ March 02, 2003, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: spectratoad ]

MarKist
03-02-2003, 12:20 PM
Hey guys,thanks for your replys!the pump is gonna need a new impeller and wear ring the impeller has big groves in it :mad: it work fine !but its time for a rebuild !so I sould have it done or could I do it in my shop the wear ring is probley my most worry eek! how hard is that I hear the ultimate ring is the shit :D :D any imput on that?thx Mark

ChetCapoli
03-03-2003, 07:02 AM
hey markist go to the "wear ring" thread for more info. If your a mechanic of some sort it should be real easy for you.
CHET

miller19j
03-03-2003, 10:04 AM
Yes you can rebuild it! Go for it. It is not all that hard.
I have a post on HavasuDougs that outlines how I do it. Here is a link. Jet pump rebuilding (http://www.havasudoug.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?s=c2f21c766caacf64de6652b3a21c7b23;a ct=ST;f=3;t=8)
I did not post it here because everyone will debate my methods to death.

MarKist
03-03-2003, 06:03 PM
thanks CHET,I read alot of the threads and man you and HBjet go at huh! argue well thanks for the info! :) hey Miller19j, thanks dude thats what I needed! :D :D idea what about the wear ring do you epoxy it or what? :o I have access to a lathe and bridgeport so thats not a problem !thx Mark

miller19j
03-04-2003, 08:43 AM
MarKist:
hey Miller19j, thanks dude thats what I needed! :D :D idea what about the wear ring do you epoxy it or what? :o I have access to a lathe and bridgeport so thats not a problem !thx Mark The wear ring is pressed in. Put it in the freezer overnight before you do it, this will make it contract. Then lube the insulator ring with WD40 and go at it. It can be a pain to put in. but if you are patient and careful you won’t have any problems.

Blown 472
03-04-2003, 09:01 AM
Prior to installing the wear ring and liner, take a propain torch and warm the housing to get it to expand, if you have to drive it in use a wooden punch or something that wont ding the ring.