PDA

View Full Version : Possible Project...is this Jetboat worth it?

76Sleek
10-10-2002, 06:53 PM
found this sitting in a field and I am interested... a 19-20 foot 1978 Sleekcraft tunnel...460 D1VE with D3VE A2A heads...Berk 12JE-A...Eagle racing headers...Holley 750...engine frozen sitting 14 years...gelcoat cracked in several locations...a few chips in glass (nose)...bottom looks ok...interior trashed..trailer included...last registered 1984. the owner is asking $2000.00...
I would appreciate some input on the value of this potential hot rod and/or would it be worth the initial investment?
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/project.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/project2.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/project3.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/project4.JPG
[ October 11, 2002, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: 76Sleek ]

atomrotten
10-10-2002, 07:12 PM
http://www.aimooimage.com/atomrotten/img4.gif I bought this boat in river running and excellent condition a month ago for 3100.00 its a 72' Regatta with a 454 and runs perfect! I have ran her 8 times all day long! I think 2000.00 is steep.
Later Atom RoTTeN

atomrotten
10-10-2002, 07:16 PM
I take it back, I didnt look at the hull close! That hull is cool as hell. Might be worth the money. Offer him a grand and see if he bites.
Later Atom RoTTeN

sdba069
10-10-2002, 07:20 PM
I like those old Sleekcraft tunnels but I'm thinking more between $500 and $1000.I've restored a couple of those old jets and 1 with an outboard.

SPECTRABRENT
10-10-2002, 08:08 PM
I offer $500.00 maybe go up to $1,000.00, thats it. The pump looks like an "E" not a "G", big difference.
Brent

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-10-2002, 09:00 PM
I love that hull style. No more than a grand because you dont know the condition of the jet. You have most of the parts. All you need is some love and a little $$$$$. I am really diggin' on that tunnel hull. I like the "e" pump. I have one and I love it- handhole out side,more interior room and a rideplate to modify! I would try to bargin with him if I were you. Do a little trading here and there and some cash. Just my .02
396-- :D :D :D :D

hack job
10-10-2002, 09:09 PM
well it is a fast hul and nothing more its more than likly a "C" not a "G"
as for the motor there is nothing wrong with the motor as longas he will let you take it apart and diganose it for your self! :D he should have no problem with it seeing as how it dosent run! as long as you know your going to have a lot of work in front of you i would say no more than 1500 i would shoot for 1250 its a good hull and its different! thats always cool! wink

PipesClean
10-11-2002, 08:58 AM
I would buy the frikkin hull for $2000. It also has a Roadrunner trailer. Looks to be an E pump also, see the steering arms on the right, and the view hole looks to be on the outside! If you enjoy fixing hotrods up, I would pick it up.

burbanite
10-11-2002, 08:59 AM
Well, you can definitely put horsepower to that hull so no problem there. It all comes down to condition and how much you want it. Check the ID plate on the jet unit, it will tell you what it is (G, C, E...).
See what it will take to buy it, you might be just get a bargain - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

HavasuDreamin'
10-11-2002, 09:09 AM
A boat that has been sitting 14 years......definatly bargain with the man. Obviously, you want to get it as cheep as possible. I would say no more than $1,500. If the seller is at all motivated, he will jump on that.
If it were me, I would go back and check the pump. Is it an E or C? I would say that the boat is an awful lot of work and start metioning some of the things you will need to do. Then offer him $1,250 and see what he says? If he says he can't go that low, then give him your name and number and tell him that if he changes his mind in the next few weeks to give you a call. If he doesn't call within a week, call him up and make a final offer of $1,500.
Another way to think of it is.......that boat in "good" running condition, fairly clean would sell for about $6K or so in So. Cal. If you buy it for $2K, can you get it into good running condition for another $4K? Just food for thought!
BTW......those old Sleeks are bitchen. I would love to own one, but then again, there aren't may boat I wouldn't love to own! wink Good Luck! :cool:
PS.....if you do pick it up.......depending on how far away you live, I would bring dirty clothes and plan on going through the wheel bearing before towing it ANYWHERE!
[ October 11, 2002, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

mrgoslow
10-11-2002, 10:42 AM
my bro has that sst bottom with a different top, called an aristocrat, his loves chop, handled great and is built well. its kinda heavy though. runs in the 60's w/an olds. i would highly recommend you buy the boat. it should love some horsepower. price would depend on condition of trailer, stringers, floor, etc. btw, on the transom next to the id # does it say "Patent Pending"?

HOSS
10-11-2002, 11:17 AM
Looks like a SleekCraft GT. Not many made.2G if nothing is rotten. Gotta lot of good stuff on it. I`d try to go lower but in my opinion if you like to restore, its worth it. The only problem is few a few grand more you can get a hell of alot more with NO work. And maybe even blown! Sometimes projects just aren`t worth the effort or the cash!

mud duck
10-11-2002, 12:15 PM
I would go for it. That hull is great. Go ahead and dicker, charm, squeeze, wheel & deal with the guy and you might get it for less. But it is a cool hull design. A good washing might really help that old boat. In it's prime I bet it moved out very well. Do it, yhou know you want it, just do it.

Tahiti Owner
10-11-2002, 12:17 PM
Just for comparison...this is what $1900.00 got me. Boat,motor, and trailer. It was in the condition you see it in now. http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/Boat_11.JPG http://http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/455_olds1.JPG http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/1boat_rearview.JPG

STROKER ACE
10-11-2002, 02:01 PM
1250 tops

Apollo
10-11-2002, 03:14 PM
Hey Sleek, I bought a 78 Dimarco about 2 months ago. I payed 800 bucks for it. The paint job was in good to fair condition. The bottom was in good condition as well. It didn't have a engine and the upholestery was shot. This boat had been sitting under a shed for 2 years.

AZKC
10-11-2002, 04:20 PM
Damn I'd buy it just for the salsa bowl on the carb..... :D who's bringing the chips?
If you like the boat and have the time. it looks kewl, not many around, nice not to be a clone. but I'd say around 1000 to 1500 max.
KC

Tahiti Owner
10-11-2002, 05:02 PM
looking thru the newest Auto Hunter Magazine there is a Sleekcraft in here that looks exactly like the one in your pic...this one looks complete and in good condition, the ad reads...Sleekcraft 20' Jet Boat, boat,jetdrive,trailer $3000 978/683-6907 in Methuen Massachusetts.
Just incase anyone might be interested

1tricky1
10-11-2002, 05:44 PM
I have a 79 exactly like that one. I love the way it rides. It's a pretty fast hull too. I GPS'd mine @ 75 with a fresh pump and approx. 525hp. BTW that is an "E" pump. Mine is an "F". The only differance is the jetovator. That one doesn;t seem to have it. If it did you would see the cable connected to the rudder. I also didn't see the toggle switch on the dash for the jetovator. That steering wheel is so funny! I had the same one when I bought mine....also the first thing I took off. I would definitely try and get that hull, they are a rare find and such a bitchin ride! Negotiate!!!!

1tricky1
10-14-2002, 07:22 PM
Hey Sleek, Did you get the Boat? Is he Willing to negotiate? Keep us posted!

76Sleek
10-15-2002, 07:30 AM
first off thanks to everyones reply....i am still negotiating with the guy....would make a nice winter project...will keep ya posted

hack job
10-15-2002, 10:33 AM
well if the gell is toast i would go see havasu barney i saw him over the weekend and he had one he was doing some work too! wink

Cantrip
10-16-2002, 10:32 AM
I say between $500 and a $1000, pull the motor and have it freshened up, set the pump back and get a diverter, send it to havasu barney, get the gel and cracks fixed, bring it back and get the interior done, re-carpet that thing and BAM!! i say you could get all that stuff done for under 4000.

superdave013
10-16-2002, 10:50 AM
Cantrip:
I say between $500 and a $1000, pull the motor and have it freshened up, set the pump back and get a diverter, send it to havasu barney, get the gel and cracks fixed, bring it back and get the interior done, re-carpet that thing and BAM!! i say you could get all that stuff done for under 4000.Under 4k you think? You don't even what to know what it cost to redo my boat. The gel coat and glass work alone was over your budget.

hack job
10-16-2002, 10:54 AM
iam with dave on this one the boat is going to go way over 4000 i thought you were kidding cause most good motor cost over 4000 and then there is alot more in the pump than you think too! but i could be worng! wink :D

HotHallet
10-16-2002, 11:00 AM
Sleek Crafts are laid up cheap and have never been considered very good boats. I like the fact that it is a tunnel and that it is running a Ford. No more than 1,000 and fix it up to sell it.

Cantrip
10-16-2002, 11:48 AM
superdave, who did your work ? Isnt havasu barney pretty reasonable for gel coats, I heard he has done some new ones for around 700.

superdave013
10-16-2002, 12:00 PM
Cantrip:
superdave, who did your work ? Isnt havasu barney pretty reasonable for gel coats, I heard he has done some new ones for around 700.Mine was done by Barney. Lets just say one thing led to another and it needed lots of glass work. Way more then we thought. He is reasonable but I don't think you will see many 700 gel jobs out of him anymore. It's alot of work and he has to eat ya know. I will say that my schiada looks brand new. He did a great job on it.

1tricky1
10-16-2002, 09:04 PM
HotHallet:
Sleek Crafts are laid up cheap and have never been considered very good boats. I like the fact that it is a tunnel and that it is running a Ford. No more than 1,000 and fix it up to sell it.Hey, what's with the Sleekcraft bashing here? I have a 79 Tunnel, original gel coat (slightly faded) but no stress cracks whatsoever. I would say it was laid up pretty good! I've always heard that they were quality boats. :D
[ October 18, 2002, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: 1tricky1 ]

HavasuDreamin'
10-17-2002, 09:52 AM
1tricky1:
HotHallet:
Sleek Crafts are laid up cheap and have never been considered very good boats. I like the fact that it is a tunnel and that it is running a Ford. No more than 1,000 and fix it up to sell it.I've always hear that they were quality boats.IMHO, they are a quality boat!

Hermosa
10-17-2002, 06:06 PM
Looks like a fun project. I always put too much money in stuff like this, but I always have fun doing it, looks like a great project with a very different looking hull. Go for it!

Hermosa
10-17-2002, 06:08 PM
76 Sleek, what city are you located in? Where is this boat and how did you come across it?

JetBoatRich
10-17-2002, 06:35 PM
I agree start $1250 range, you will need to put some money in cleaning it up. All depends on how much you can do yourself. eek!

uglystick
10-17-2002, 06:46 PM
I THINK IT'S SWEET. IF YOU'RE WILLING TO DO THE WORK. I'D JUMP ON IT IF I WERE'NT SO LAZY!

1tricky1
10-18-2002, 08:51 AM

Hermosa
10-18-2002, 10:12 AM
JetBoatRich:
I agree start $1250 range, you will need to put some money in cleaning it up. All depends on how much you can do yourself. eek! I think you said a mouth full there, if you do the work yourself it's probably fun and worth it. If you have to pay someone to do all this work, it will be an expensive project. I do like that hull!

hack job
10-18-2002, 11:18 AM
superdave013:
Cantrip:
superdave, who did your work ? Isnt havasu barney pretty reasonable for gel coats, I heard he has done some new ones for around 700.Mine was done by Barney. Lets just say one thing led to another and it needed lots of glass work. Way more then we thought. He is reasonable but I don't think you will see many 700 gel jobs out of him anymore. It's alot of work and he has to eat ya know. I will say that my schiada looks brand new. He did a great job on it.call him i know he would love to do the work i really dobout that he will do it for 700 but i could be wrong i belive his pricing is a little more than that! and he still the best price in town! wink :D

Slick
10-19-2002, 07:23 AM
I think that Sleekcraft SST would make a great project. However, you need to be realistic, and so does the seller. I'd offer the least amount of money you feel comfortable with. I know that sounds stupid, but you don't want to insult the owner to the point where he won't talk to you again.
I'd imagine you could make that boat look very good without having to regel or repaint. Sorry, Barney, but let's be realistic. I bet you'd be surprised what a good wet-sand would do for the gel coat. That way you could run it for a season or two and then have it totally redone. Unless you've got $6-$10K for the whole project burning a hole in your pocket I'd rather see the boat mechanically sound first.
Things you need to consider spending money on:
Complete motor overhaul, pump rebuild, alternator, starter, hoses, guages, batteries, cables, wiring, interior, trailer brakes, probably trailer tires, etc., etc. Get a good guestimation of what these things will cost you and add 20%. Notice I didn't mention gel coat.
I'm over the hump on my boat. I'm glad to say I'm starting to put her back together. I didn't even think of half the stuff that I'd end up replacing when I bought her. Mine is a '94 and only sat for three years.
Good Luck
Slick

Bense468
10-19-2002, 10:07 PM
Just to name a few more. Trailer bunks, false floor (if it has it) Not many tunnels do. Bulkhead, glass work inside the boat. You need to think about the gas tanks. I would buy new ones. or somehow have yours cleaned. All your gauges, steering helm and cables will have to be re placed. I know one thing. You will probably have 2 or 3 grand into all the little shit. Nuts and bolts (espically stainless), wires etc, etc. The guy that is telling you 4 grand is way off base in my opinion. I would say your looking at 8 to 10 grand with nice gell and a decent power package. Maybe 450-500 horse. I would scrap that ford and put a chevy in it (unless you are a ford guy and can afford to build it up). I think if it was me I would wet sand the hell out of it. Build it and run it for a season or at least a few trips to make sure everything is cool and you have it set up right and like it. Then invest in the gell. So as far as the hull. I would say a grand to 1250 max. Other things you might want to think about is servicing the wheel bearing before you tow this thing off and you might need to put new tires on it. Good luck

76Sleek
10-20-2002, 07:15 AM
Update on this possible project and a few more photos......I am still working the guy down in price and looks like i may get it for $1000.(fingers crossed) The owner is not hard up for cash (unfortunately) and one more thing...there is no title or any paperwork for the boat and trailer...DMV is a whole new bag of worms.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/sleekproject5.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/sleekproject6.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/sleekproject7.JPG

bilgewiper
10-20-2002, 07:10 PM
76sleek? So did you get the boat? By chance is it the one sitting off Hazel in the empty field? Drove by it today and it was still there, if thats the one. Trust me, I won't try to out bid you (although a few years ago I might have been tempted), no time for projects now, but that one definantly looks intersting. From my experiance a re-gelcoat is really not cost effective on a old boat. Cheaper to go with automotive paint. But gel has it's advantages if you are suseptable to dock rash or dogs running across the deck etc.
Good luck, Keep us posted
Ethan
Ethan

Hermosa
10-23-2002, 12:10 PM
OK, did someone buy this thing yet?? After seeing hack-job's boat in the beginning stages of restoration, I am getting the bug. I could use a boat to keep at the river for when I'm donw that way (I'm sure the wife has a comment on that). Anyhow, what is the status? If you aren't going to get it, can you tell me where it's at, I have some interest in it. Call me crazy, but this thing would look awesome all lime green with white seats with lime green piping!! I don't know where I come up with this stuff.... Thanks mucho!

76Sleek
10-23-2002, 02:39 PM
yes the price bickering is still going on. he is in no hurry to sell it for a grand and i am in no hurry to give him 2 grand which is what he wants. we shall settle somewhere in the middle i hope soon.
[ October 23, 2002, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: 76Sleek ]

78Eliminator
10-23-2002, 02:55 PM
atomrotten:
I bought this boat in river running and excellent condition a month ago for 3100.00 its a 72' Regatta with a 454 and runs perfect! I have ran her 8 times all day long! I think 2000.00 is steep.
Later Atom RoTTeNI like your kitty, posing next to the boat....

Hermosa
10-24-2002, 05:59 AM
76Sleek:
yes the price bickering is still going on. he is in no hurry to sell it for a grand and i am in no hurry to give him 2 grand which is what he wants. we shall settle somewhere in the middle i hope soon.Keep me posted it you decide not to get it, good luck.

picklefork1
10-24-2002, 06:16 AM
76sleek - give him 1500, wet sand the shit out of it, pull the ford, drop in a chevy and run the piss out of it for a season or two, it's bond to hall ass, if after two season you hate it sell it, but if you like it then worry about the restore.

lakesmodified
10-24-2002, 10:42 AM
78Eliminator:
atomrotten:
I bought this boat in river running and excellent condition a month ago for 3100.00 its a 72' Regatta with a 454 and runs perfect! I have ran her 8 times all day long! I think 2000.00 is steep.
Later Atom RoTTeNI like your kitty, posing next to the boat....You know what they say about Jet Boats, They attract pussy! :D :D :D

atomrotten
10-24-2002, 04:55 PM
My wifes cat COW is more like a guard dog! No rats in my boat!LOL
Atom RoTTeN

Hermosa
10-28-2002, 09:36 AM
Did this get purchased yet? If not, let me know, I'm all over this project.

Hermosa
11-04-2002, 01:51 PM
If anyone knows who owns the Sleekcraft tunnel at the top of this post, please let me know, I'm looking for another project. Someone else was looking to buy before, but it looks like they are nipping over pennies and can't get the deal done. Anyhow, any info appreciated.

Hermosa
11-07-2002, 10:56 AM
OK, here we go again.... is this thing still up for grabs??? Where is it located, I am interested....

76Sleek
11-07-2002, 01:13 PM
yes i am still working the deal. at this point i am the only one offering cash to the guy. he is in no hurry and i would hope that you let me try to get the boat. i didnt have to post anything on this board in the first place....so hold on to your pennies...and look elsewhere.....

Hermosa
11-07-2002, 01:47 PM
76Sleek:
yes i am still working the deal. at this point i am the only one offering cash to the guy. he is in no hurry and i would hope that you let me try to get the boat. i didnt have to post anything on this board in the first place....so hold on to your pennies...and look elsewhere.....Whatever... From what it sounds like, this project might be a little too much for you... cash wise anyhow.

76Sleek
11-07-2002, 02:12 PM
what you don't know won't hurt you bro!

lakesmodified
11-09-2002, 11:39 AM
76Sleek:
what you don't know won't hurt you bro!Hey 76Sleek... Check out what this hull looks like in all it's glory:
Sleek Craft Tunnel (http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/8/0/34796880.htm)

lakesmodified
11-09-2002, 11:51 AM
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/Sleek6.JPG http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/Sleek5.JPG http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/Sleek4.JPG http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/Sleek3.JPG http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/Sleek2.JPG http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/Sleek1.JPG Hey 76Sleek... Check out what this hull looks like in all it's glory:
Sleek Craft Tunnel (http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/8/0/34796880.htm)[/QB][/QUOTE]