PDA

View Full Version : SPECTRA HEAVEN!

BUSTI
08-12-2003, 03:54 PM
If all goes well this weekend I will be the new proud owner of a 1974 Spectra 20 rebuild project boat! It is a jet and I can hardly wait to get started on this project. It has a trailer and the hull is outfitted with a pump. The hull will be in need of a new gel or paint job (also probably some glass work on the stringers I suspect). Who do guys recommend for the job? The boat doesn't have any upholstery or motor. I have a 468 inch bbc 9.5 to 1 motor that I am going to use.
By design did Spectra put a hook in these hulls? Who has experience with refurbishing these classics? I am looking for at least 65 mp if possible. What mods should I start to plan on right away pump wise? I just got a new digital camera so i will post pics as the project takes shape. Any vendor suggestions for redoing Spectra's? Somebody told me Jim Brock was a good place to start? This boat will be my new primary ski boat at Parker and will see serious time there all year round including 10 days per year at Laughlin on the lake. My budget is substanial yet I obviously want real value but I want this deal to be top notch.
Your advice will greatly appreciated! :D

BIGAMIST
08-12-2003, 05:03 PM
Jim should be one of the first people you call!
(818)890-1867

flat broke
08-12-2003, 09:33 PM
65 in a 20 is going to require a little HP. With a solid 550hp and good pumpwork, I'd say you'd be pretty close. I have one of these boats and can tell you that they are heavy pigs, but handle well and have stood the test of time. If you're boat isn't a full stringer model, now might be a good time to make the changes. I don't know you're budget, but substantial in my mind is around 20k not including the initial price of the boat.
A quality gel coat job will run you upwards to 7-8000. (I would check with Toddnjuzz here on the boards as he has done some nice re-gell jobs). A good interior with 2 buckets, a rear bench and hatch, could cost up to $3500. I would then take the time while the hull is getting worked out to have the pump setup for a shoe/rideplate setup and have the pump freshened. My preference for pump work is Jack at MPD, but check around and see who else's name gets tossed in the hat. If the 468 you currently have is a solid mill with good parts, I would check into dropping the compression, changing the cam, and setting it up for a blower or turbos. All of this stuff costs $$ so you have to figure out where to make your trade offs, but if it's any consolation I had my 20 (was spectrabrent's family's boat since new in 76) running 61mph/4700RPM with a JG-A at Laughlin last year with a 468 single carb setup breathing through a set of Stainless Marine Manifolds. With a raceaero twin turbo setup with just under 10lbs of boost on the gauge, she was running right at 70 with 5200 RPM.
Since you're just starting your project, definitely get in touch with Spectra Brent and check out spectramarine.com.
Good luck and congrats on picking a great starting point for your project.
Chris
[ August 12, 2003, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: flat broke ]

spectratoad
08-13-2003, 04:57 AM
Havasu Barney does good gel work. I have seen pics of his work and read posts from several on the boards who are very pleased with his work. When I am ready to gel my 77 Spectra 20 that is who I plan on hitting up for ideas and quotes. :D I just did the interior on mine. Built the seats and had them upholstered.

revndave
08-13-2003, 06:25 AM
BUSTI
I'LL SELL YOU A CLEAN 19 CARRIBEAN COPY THAT RUNS 90MPH FOR 16,000

malcolm
08-13-2003, 07:54 AM
I don't really have any advise for you, except to agree with the heavy pig comment. My 18 is still stuck at 50. My rebuild turned out 100 hp shy of my estimates. :(
Anyway, just had to post in the Spectra thread. :D
[ August 13, 2003, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: malcolm ]

BK
08-13-2003, 12:42 PM
spectratoad:
Havasu Barney does good gel work. I have seen pics of his work and read posts from several on the boards who are very pleased with his work. When I am ready to gel my 77 Spectra 20 that is who I plan on hitting up for ideas and quotes. :D I just did the interior on mine. Built the seats and had them upholstered. Damn that boats only a 20? Seems ALOT bigger than that, rides real nice though. What did it GPS at on Shasta, cant remember?

BUSTI
08-13-2003, 01:44 PM
FlatBroke et al thank you so much for the advice and tips. My 468 has a Kola steel 4 inch crank, H beam Manly rods, studed bottom end. Pfaff has done all the machine work. Coincedentaly I have been thinking of a blower. My son is willing to sell me (still in the box) at a good price a polished 671 B&M marine kit blower deal with manifold, belts and several pulleys as well as twin 660 holleys preped by BDS IN Whittier. I also have a set of J&E's at 8.75 from my other sons race car...brand new .060 over. My heads are LS 7's hogged out and with all the extreme parts.
My budget is right around 23,500. I have had this dream of owning a Spectra 20 for a long time. The lines are just so classic and the ride of my uncles jet boat when I was a young man was like riding in a Caddy.
Thanks guys!!!

flat broke
08-13-2003, 03:18 PM
I'd say you should have no problems getting what you want out of the boat. You have a realistic budget which I'm sure you'll come in just a tad under, and it sounds like you have a great mill to start with. With a blower package on the 468, and the right cam to compliment the boost, you'll be one happy camper.
Again, on the Gel, I would really check out Todd from the boards (see Cyclone's boat(s) for examples of workmanship), as well as Israel at OC boat repair. Israel comes highly recommended, and I understand has been in the biz since the glory dayz of Tahiti. There are good deals, and then there are good gel coats. Never mistake the two for the same animal. Make sure that whoever you go with, you hit up customers that have had re-gel's done to see what the long term results were.
Feel free to keep us posted on the progresso with your project. It will definitely help when winter sets in and everyone gets a little stir crazy.
Chris

BUSTI
08-18-2003, 01:37 PM
Well I bought RiverDaves Spectra 20 with two trailers..I am so happy! It should be a great project boat for me this winter! Dave thanks for delivering it to me. By the way I have the original Photographix trailer availibale for sale. It is all original, as I dont need it. My neighbor has a friend from Tucson that already called me on it for $1,600 but he wants me to wait till next month. I am so ready to start on the project that I'll let the trailer go for less than that if somebody is intrerested in making me a offer for the trailer. I'll keep you guys posted with picks as I get started. Thanks for your advice last week.
Thanks RiverDave! :D

flat broke
08-18-2003, 03:52 PM
I know this is going to sound like Blasphemy in this forum, and especaily so comming from me, but have you thought about making that 20 a V'drive? Before you cut that hole, think long and hard. In fact, I would have the gel done bfore it is cut, so you have even longer to think about it :)
If after searching your soul, you find that you still need to cut that boat for a pump, call Jack at MPD to have your intake machined for the ride plate, while you're having your pump worked, and have him set the intake while he has it. From there, Stitchcraft or Stratton interiors would be good places to look for new threads for the boat.
Bolt that new mill in with a nice custom fabbed rail kit, and then take the ride out to the Avi next year for the 3rd anual Classic Boat Beach Bash.
I have personally seen the hull that you bought, and it is a SOLID piece. You should have no problem making a strong boat that will serve you for a long time to come. Oh, and you'll love the ride in the rougher stuff. :)
Congrats,
Chris

BUSTI
08-19-2003, 10:50 AM
My wife loved the boat so much! As she is tired of getting pounded in my Sanger Super Jet( and before that it wathe s ol Litchfield flatbottom). Your right I am really searching deep with in my soul as to whether I want to cut the transom out again and make it a pumper. The boat is a rock solid hull capable of handling mega horsepower! I have a 12 degree v-drive c-400 split case in the garage. Would need to cut out that forward bulkhead and do some fiberglass work there. What do you think fo shoving the v-drive far forward and running 8 or 7 degree strut? Sounds like heiracy on this side of the boards. If I make it a stern drive I definitely think
If its a stern drive I need to fiberglass in at least a 2 inch transom and add it to the already existing 1/2 inch transom that is de-void of any wood glassed in. The least expensive option would be to make it a jet again.
Now the motor is finished from the acquisition stand point except for the roller cam and exhaust...468bbc with 671 blower (just bought it from my son originally thought it was a 871) and two 750's. What to do now that is the question. For those of you that may have seen the boat what do you think? RD will encourage the v-drive option...I'm pretty sure. But my budget is at 23,500 and I still have to finish the motor and the triple axel trailer...with that in mind ....I am going crazy thinking about it and I have only owned it 5 days!!!!! I'll keep you posted. smile_sp
Once again RiverDave thanks I know it must have saddened you to sell such a great project boat.

spectratoad
08-19-2003, 08:06 PM
Hey Byron, What's Up? Looking forward to Tower Park. I am in the middle of moving but going to take the weekend off to go to the lake.
Yep, its a 20. I think I GPS'd @ only 52. She is getting tired I think but I had the top end off last season and everything was still shiny and clean and it starts everytime so I am not rushing into a rebuild.

flat broke
08-21-2003, 01:50 PM
Busti,
My vote is V'drive. PERIOD. You'll go faster with the same HP and have much greater range if you use a TH400 and set your gearing up for cruising in 3rd.
Mine is a jet and I love it, but knowing the hull and the fact that the glasswork has been done by a VERY competent individual, I wouldn't cut up a great opportunity. If you wanted a pump boat, they are around and cheaper than the V'drive setups. I would bet the Spectrabrent could point you to a Spectra 20 jet project today that would save you some hassle if you opted to go that route because it might have a donor pump. All that being said, I don't think setting up the boat as a bad ass V'Drive would be that much more expensive than a jet considering you already have the V'drive.
There are folks here that can help with the cav hardware at fair prices. Above and beyond that your running gear and tranny would be your cost directly associated with a V'drive setup. Relocating that bulkhead is relatively easy work and if it something that you wouldn't want to tackle on your own, it could get handled when the boat goes to gel coat. As far as the strut angle, its too important to the ride of the boat to compromise that dimension for the convienence of not moving a piece of plywood. :)
If you were to go I/O (it just don't seem right wink ) you'd be looking at around $$8500? or so for an XR drive that would handle the HP of your motor day in day out. Then you have issues with making the boat idle down to 700-800 RPM to keep the drive together when shifting. You'd still have to come up with the bellhousing etc for the drive and even going with take off parts, its going to add up.
My best advice would be to look at what the family plans to do with the boat and then pick your propulsion accordingly. It doesn't matter how fast or bad ass looking a boat is if you never get to take it out and use it.
Chris

BUSTI
08-23-2003, 01:00 PM
Chris and others that have posted re my project,
Thanks for your suggestions, I have been thinking about what you have suggested re a v-drive installation and such all week. Let me ask you this... the bottom where cav plates would be bolted through the bottom of the boat where it needs to be recessed is not recessed. Ya know like 1/4 inch across the entire stern from chine to chinefor the plates. Who could do that sort of work...Havasu Barney or is that more like something the v-drive installation guy I pick would handle? I am trying to hook up with Gary Teaque at GT performance and get info on the project. I am leaning towards the v-drive now. One of my partners owns a transmission rebuilding business and I can aquire a turbo 400 tranny cheap if I want it.
Next week I am going to GT Performance. What I'm going to do is do a buget and compare the v-drive vs the high dollar done right pump deal with Jack and then decide. Either way I can't wait to get started. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for your interest.

flat broke
08-23-2003, 10:28 PM
Busti,
Gary would be a good starting point, don't forget Tom over in the V-drive form and of course Jim Wilkes. I would guess any of those three would have what it takes to shave your hull for the plates. I'm pretty sure that the cost is going to be higher with the V'drive than the Jet, but we'll see where the bids come in. You've got the right guy for the job in Jack if you go the pump route. BTW, I'm not trying to talk you out of doing a pump, I was just pointing out that you had a lot of things already favoring the V-drive setup which would probably cruise at lower RPM and have a potentially higher top speed and longer cruising range.
Chris