PDA

View Full Version : Jacuzzi pumps, engine cooling

Moneypitt
06-22-2003, 02:00 PM
I need some input about the aux. water outlets on jacuzzi jets. The fitting is only 1/4 pipe and won't flow enough water to the engine at idle or low speed (5MPH zones). Once underpower, it works just fine, plenty of cooling, when the boat slows down it starts to heat up and percolate the water in the block. The bowl has 2 outlets, but only one is used. Also, whats the trick to pulling the bowl off the suction piece? It will only open about an eight of an inch using soft pry bars as directed in the book. Any experience you've had in this area would be helpful. The boat is an 80 JJ custom, with a 383 mopar, fresh, with good parts inside and out, runs hard at speed so I don't think the jet is too loose... Help..... Moneypitt

Hal
06-22-2003, 02:32 PM
Here's something I found... (http://www.concentric.net/~Jjlee/boats/WJRebuild.shtml)

malcolm
06-22-2003, 05:55 PM
Are you talking about a YJ pump? My WJ only has 1 water outlet for the motor and it's alot bigger than 1/4 pipe. I had to put a valve on mine just to get it to warm up a little.

Moneypitt
06-22-2003, 06:22 PM
Thanks for responding, Yes, I think it is the Y pump. I've discovered the starboard side of the bowl has a broken off pipe nipple that has been siliconed closed, but they're both 1/4 pipe for sure. I'll use them both into the engine. Right now I'm trying to remove the bowl from the suction piece and it will only move an 1/8 or so. flush it seems loose enough to come off, but then it tightens up and stops..... Moneypitt

malcolm
06-22-2003, 06:46 PM
Hmmm, don't know much about the Y's. They must use both sides off the pump and run hoses up the sides of the motor with water. Sounds like it should work ok. Don't know why the bowl wouldn't come off, maybe the o-ring has silicone all over it?