PDA

View Full Version : WOW I am so happy now- olds running strong now!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-27-2003, 07:11 PM
I finally laid on the pedal today with my dad in the boat and................She held together! I was showing 4500r's untill the popping in the carbs(lack of fuel). Oh and the rooster tail is hangin up there too :D :D I had everyone at the docks looking and pointing and let me tell you how good it felt to have a good running engine finally. I only have 2 problems to work out.
1. secondaries arent opening all the way at wot(i think)
2. oil leak from the rear of the intake manifold(what a mess)
and thats it. i have to thank all of you guy for helping me build and work all of this stuff out. Also, i have to thank all of you guys for keeping my head up when I was feeling like a failure a few months ago wink I will be posting those nasty rooster pics this weekend after I go on sunday wink wink

malcolm
06-27-2003, 07:17 PM
All right 396! I hope to be posting a topic like yours in two weeks! Hopefully minus the oil leak and popping. :D

77charger
06-27-2003, 07:45 PM
right on 396
Hope all works for a long time now :)

Moneypitt
06-27-2003, 08:26 PM
396, Popping in the carb??? Do you mean pop.....pop........pop............pop, or pop.pop.pop.pop.pop.pop.? A steady pop pop pop pop as the r s come up sounds like a valve train problem, a lazy exhaust valve due to an out of adjustment condition, (easily fixed), or....an exhaust lobe going away, not so easily fixed. If it's just a pow every once in a while you are probably right about a fuel delivery problem, and if its a holley, replace your power valve. hope for the best... Good luck.... Moneypitt

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-27-2003, 09:44 PM
Well I shouldnt have said popping. I meant to say that it lays down. Off the line its smooth all the way untill 4500r's then it starts to cut out. I am leaning twards the secondaries. I will be checking on sunday. I will update you guys this weekend.

Moneypitt
06-27-2003, 10:52 PM
Much happier description!!!! Just a couple of things to LOOK at: 1st, fuel filter? 2nd, Sec. float level and 3rd, fuel pressure (you do have a fuel pressure gauge, right?) What type fuel pump are you using? Fuel pres. should stay above 5 lbs. under cruise conditions, and MAY drop to 3-4 lbs under high demand, but should recover quickly even at top speed.(7lbs.perfered)Remember, mechanical pumps suck, and electric pumps PUSH. Also, new, soft fuel hose will suck closed under extreme demand using a mechanical pump. Another quick test, fuel pres. should remain on the gauge after stopping the engine/pump, for a little while at least. If you've still got the filters inside a holley, take them out and put in a remote throwaway in the line, after the pump, before the pres. gauge port... Again, good luck.. Moneypitt

Rexone
06-27-2003, 11:57 PM
396 you need to fix that fuel problem before we read another "blew up my olds thread". Don't keep running it that way. My .02 :)

Back Forty
06-28-2003, 07:33 AM
396 did you get that oil cooler installed. What is the scoop?

Cas
06-28-2003, 07:36 AM
Congrats 396! that's what everyone wanted to hear. I agree with Rex though, fix that fuel problem asap.
One other area to look at that is often overlooked is your gas tank venting. Make sure it's venting properly or the engine will act like it's running out of gas at higher rpms and in essence, it is.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-28-2003, 07:57 AM
Good ideas guys wink As far as fuel filters goes I have a set that came off my fathers olds flattie. They are made by special marine and I am pretty sure that they have no restriction! There are no filters in the carbs. Fuel bowls are full(I installed clearview sight plugs. Fuel pressure is about 6lbs. I have a mechanical pump that came off a 442 but I am thinking about an electrical. I just dont like electric and water(that worries me). Although the gas tank venting is a good idea! How do check this?
As far as oil cooler goes I didnt need it. I changed the oil galley plug and oil pump and oil pressure is great now(75lbs cold idle and 55lbs running hot)!
here is a pick of my fuel filter and water seperator.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/239seperatorwkfinish-med.jpg
[ June 28, 2003, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: 396_WAYS_TO_SPIT ]

Cas
06-28-2003, 08:24 AM
If your tanks are vented through the caps, just loosen them up and go for a ride. If the bog is gone, it's likely the vents are plugged.
If you have a vent line connected to your fill tubes, check the vent cap at the end of the line. That type of vent line is usually routed to the rear and tucked up under the transom. With that, just pull the cap off and again, go for a ride.

victorfb
06-28-2003, 08:31 AM
wow. that is great news. im glad you are starting to enjoy your ride. its no fun to be so frustrated and put all that time and hard work into something that just wont get right. but it sounds like you got a handle on it and will have a great season. way to go man...