PDA

View Full Version : Panther Jet rebuild

smokkin
05-13-2003, 11:27 AM
Has anyone rebuilt there panther jet themselves?If so any tips would be apreciated.

Danhercules
05-13-2003, 11:53 AM
Yea, take it in and have it done. I dont think you can do it. It takes a good set of tools.

HOOTER SLED-
05-13-2003, 12:27 PM
smokkin:
Has anyone rebuilt there panther jet themselves?If so any tips would be apreciated. Someone had one on here for sale. I think it recently had a rebuild on it too. May be comparable in price and quicker to get. Panther is kinda slow at getting stuff back. And now is the busiest time to get it done. I had a Jet-o-vator put in mine in March, took almost a month to get it back. Good luck man.

AZKC
05-13-2003, 02:03 PM
Take a look at this thread
panther project (http://forums.***boat.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001951)
And it can be done, just if the suction housing is trashed it needs some special machine work done to fix it right. The guys at Panther are cool and also get a hold of Jim at www.performancejet.com (http://www.performancejet.com)
He did mine and it kicked ass, now I just need to find out what the hell is knockin in my boat so I can use it. all so use the search funtion in the upper right of the forum, lots of good info on Panthers.
KC

Jet City
05-13-2003, 03:23 PM
I have done about everything short of new bearings to mine myself, I think the average backyard mechanic with decent tools could handle the job, you'll be able to tell once you remove the stator housing and impellor if the castings will need anything beyond the standard Devcon fillings. The first thing to get (if you haven't) is the service manual. I can't speak for Panthers service turn-around, but Steve in parts is really cool and responsive with getting orders out, and doesn't mind answering questions. I just ordered the nyliner kit and ride plate last Tuesday and got the parts Thursday.

Cas
05-13-2003, 05:01 PM
I just got through rebuilding a couple of them, one was complete with bearings. They really aren't all that difficult to do but the manual is a must. And as someone said previously, you do need to have or have access to a press if you're going to change bearings.
I'd post a couple of pictures but it seems the Image Gallery isn't working. I have pics I can email though.
BTW, I may have one of them for sale if the person that wants it now backs out. Pretty much everything in it is new including the impeller. The only things that aren't are the bearings but apparently they were replaced a couple of years ago.

Cas
05-14-2003, 11:14 PM
The image center is finally up and running so here's a pic of one of the Panthers I redid. This one is in my 19' boat.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/210Pump-med.jpg

funkytown
05-16-2003, 05:07 PM
My pump is back on the market. The guy who wants to buy it said he needed two more weeks. I can't wait that long. I was totally rebuilt in 2000 has less than 50 hours due to other boat problems. Included with the pump is the panther jetovater custom level, cables and 2 brand new water seals. $60 dollars each. I want $1500 for it and That is a deal. I spent All most $2800 for all of it. Let me know. funkytown