PDA

View Full Version : OK Jet boat Guru`s

Jet Hydro
09-09-2003, 01:03 AM
I have a 19ft Taylor SJ that I installed one of my race motor`s in and it`s not working like I thought it should.
When I get up to 80 mph and let off the gas it wants to take a hard right, WHY?
It has a small fin on the right rear corner of the boat, is that why? It`s about 1" long and hangs down about 1".
What in the hell is this fin for?
Is it to make sure it takes a right turn?
Does anyone else have an SJ that has this little fin?
I don't like taking a turn at 80mph. Who in the hell would ever put a fin on one side and not the other ?
Damn near spit me out last night, I think I might be better of playing with the Earl Smith boat than this SJ????

MAXIMUS
09-09-2003, 06:14 AM
My friend has a liberty circle jet that used to have a turn fin just in front of the intake. We sawzalled that thing off after a few hair raising passes that resulted in major hunting & uncontrolled turns! Now it handles much better for a river boat!

flat broke
09-09-2003, 08:08 AM
That little fin wouldn't happen to have a tube connected to it would it? :D

Taylor LP
09-09-2003, 09:02 AM
Thats the first thing I thought!

Moneypitt
09-09-2003, 09:11 AM
At that type of speed the impeller blade angle will act as a rudder if the boat speed and the impeller speed are grossly different. Water is still being forced through the jet, but now the impeller is acting as a brake, and all things inside the bowl are not equal,(square) to the direction the boats going,(forward). If you let off gradually does it still want to go it's own way??.....Just my .02......Moneypitt

Jet Hydro
09-09-2003, 10:25 AM
No it`s not the speed O tube pick up. Just a small fin that I`m going to take off. :mad:
Yes, if I let off easy it still wants to turn just not as hard. Even at 60mph it pulls to the right (a little) if you lift any at all.
Maybe it`s just a bottom problem, I don't know because I`v never had a boat act like this. this is my first time with a Taylor maybe it`s just the style of boat.
I sure wish I wouldn't have gotten rid of my old Sunkist now cry

Hustler
09-09-2003, 10:32 AM
I dont know anything about the Taylors but just be safe out there. Hows the Hydro coming along?

HM
09-09-2003, 10:34 AM
Sounds like a loose nut behind the wheel. wink

BigJetDaddy
09-09-2003, 10:54 AM
I have a Taylor SJ and I don't have any fin on the bottom. Do you have a picture?
As far as letting off hard at 80. Be prepared for a hard right turn everytime. I have to let off of mine pretty slow to keep it straight.
If you are running a lot of HP (which you are if you have an 80mph SJ) you need a ratchet release. Period. Unfortunately, you will have to lose the back seat (if you still have it)to run one.
The SJ will run fast and stable if it is set up right. The setting of the ride plate makes a huge difference in the handling on that hull. I had a friend years ago who had a blown chevy that went 90 in the same hull.
The SJ is a quality built boat (in my opinion). I have had my 78 Taylor since 1983.
Enjoy
bjd

Jet Hydro
09-09-2003, 01:34 PM
Hustler:
I dont know anything about the Taylors but just be safe out there. Hows the Hydro coming along? The Hydro has been working great. At our last race it was running low 11`s and running straight. We have a few plan`s for next year, should see 10`s real soon. ( I hope ) ...lol...

Jet Hydro
09-09-2003, 01:46 PM
BigJetDaddy:
As far as letting off hard at 80. Be prepared for a hard right turn everytime. I have to let off of mine pretty slow to keep it straight.
The SJ is a quality built boat (in my opinion). I have had my 78 Taylor since 1983.
Enjoy
bjd It must be a Taylor problem then? My old Sunkist would go straight just like my Hydro does. I built a motor for a guy 2 years a go for his SJ and don't remember it having this problem but that`s been to many boat`s a go.
I also thought that the SJ was quality built boat. After riding in that boat that I built the motor for, I told my self I need a bigger heaver boat like the SJ for the good ride.
The lake we play on is one windy rough SOB most of the time and a boat like this works better than most 18 foot boats.
Who know`s I`ll ether figure it out or just slow it back down.

roostwear
09-09-2003, 02:08 PM
If you want Taylor info, try posting on the Classic Boat Board. There are ALOT of Taylor owners there.
Roostwear Classic Boat Board (http://roostwear.com/cgi-bin/plugins/BBS/roostboard_ubb/Ultimate.cgi?)

matt1
09-09-2003, 03:41 PM
Hey Slowly do you have a place diverter or jet avator.I had 2 SJ's an 83 which had a SBC in it and my current one '77 w/BBF .The 83 had inside lifting strakes that went all the way to the transom,and my 77 the inside lifting strakes stop about a foot before the intake of the pump.The 83 came w/ the place and would hook to the right when you let off,I thought it was the boat but when I put the place on the 77 it started to do the same thing also put the jetavator that came on my 77 which stayed pretty straight,on the 83 and it started staying straighter,donno mabey its the rudder on the jetavator that helps.Also no little rudder on either of the boats.I do know that Taylors were laid up with monster hook in the hulls mabey one side has more than the other. Sure wish Oscor(sp)was around to let people know,I think Daune w/ HTP Knows alot about Taylors.

sdba069
09-09-2003, 08:25 PM
Hey Steve......Make sure there is no excess slack in the steering.I wouldn't think in a jet that would be much of a problem.It's weird that it would go right since it unloads the torque to the left and would normally drop the left side of the boat first.You would think that if anything it would pull left.By the way, if you remember I have 2 Taylor SJ's.You saw one of them when you were here to pick up that Earl.They are both late 70's boats with pretty good BBC's with divertors.Both run mid to upper 60's and do nothing stupid when backing off.Let me rephrase that....I own one and keep another here for a friend.See ya Steve.......We'll be in Bryan this weekend with the blown alky Placecraft......Come on down.....

Duane HTP
09-10-2003, 05:43 AM
Steve,

Duane HTP
Steve,

Duane HTP
Steve,

Duane HTP
Steve,

Duane HTP
Steve,

Duane HTP
Steve,

Duane HTP
Steve,

Duane HTP
Steve,

Duane HTP
Steve,

Duane HTP
09-10-2003, 05:44 AM
Steve,
Bring that Taylor over here. I've got the fix for your problem. Duane HTP

Duane HTP
09-10-2003, 05:46 AM
Somebody please tell me, what the hell is causing these multiple posts??????????????? Duane

MAXIMUS
09-10-2003, 05:59 AM
Duane HTP:
Somebody please tell me, what the hell is causing these multiple posts??????????????? Duane LOL!!!! maybe an age thing :confused: wink

Duane HTP
09-10-2003, 09:30 AM
Thanks, I'm glad someone figured it out. Duane

Snorider
09-10-2003, 01:21 PM
you arent clicking "add reply" more than once are you duane? You gotta click it once and wait - if you keep clicking, it is possible to keep adding the same reply. Just a thought.

Jake W
09-10-2003, 02:50 PM
Whats the fix for that old Taylor Duane, a match and some gas idea .I do not think you can find a heaver low pro jet to make go fast :p !But really I do want to know the fix. :confused:
Jake :D

Duane HTP
09-10-2003, 07:04 PM
We've made several of them run in the eightys and a couple right at 100 mph, but they didn't handle worth a S$$$. That's the boat that we developed the e-shoe and ride plate system for origionally. That helps them a lot. Once you get above 80, they also need the snoot to help stabalize them. Even then they are still a v-bottom boat and are fairly dangerous at those speeds.