PDA

View Full Version : Adressing hook and rocker?

sidewound
01-20-2003, 04:32 PM
I think I understand hook. Flat is better than hook. :D I have recently talked to someone who adressed rocker in the bottom. I'm assuming this would give you a smaller wet area. Anybody know anything about it? eek! The Dirty sock get's rolled over to adress the hook next week and paint. If anyone knows anything about this please post mail or message me. Thanks :p Peace Man
Cesar

Jetty 468
01-20-2003, 06:25 PM
sidewound:
I think I understand hook. Flat is better than hook. :D I have recently talked to someone who adressed rocker in the bottom. I'm assuming this would give you a smaller wet area. Anybody know anything about it? eek! The Dirty sock get's rolled over to adress the hook next week and paint. If anyone knows anything about this please post mail or message me. Thanks :p Peace Man
Cesar Hook is like a huge brake , 7-10 mph gain's are possible when removed in the older heavy hull's . I gained 8 . It's one of the biggest bang for your $$$$$$$$ ! Try to gain those mph in the motor and the $$$$$$$$$$ goes through the roof .At least in my case it has and I see no end insight yet ! :D

Jetty 468
01-20-2003, 06:30 PM
Needed 1 more post to make a 100 eek! Also go back in the page's here, hook has been addressed many time's here and some of the pro's explain it in black and white for you .

sidewound
01-20-2003, 06:37 PM
Jetty,
I tell ya what, The cost on the mill is already past my wildest dreams. I must be keepin honey happy. argue The funds have been flowing. :confused: I,m hopin for 5 mph from cleaning up the hull. It's a sidewinder so it's no dainty hull. Without the motor in it I bout dropped a nad trying to pick up the trailer. If I get that 5 plus the expectations from the new mill perhaps the $$$$$$ thing will not feel so bad. Free speed is GOOD :D Peace Man
Cesar

Jetty 468
01-20-2003, 07:06 PM
If honey ain't happy , nobody's happy!! burningm My 75 Tahiti is one heavy muther also and had a 1/4" of hook jawdrop

sidewound
01-20-2003, 08:23 PM
I'm worried about layin the straightedge to her. eek! She's been on an ez loader with rollers for 30 yrs. burningm Peace man :D

Marlin455
01-22-2003, 07:30 AM
Hey Sidewound- I have pretty much the exact same hull and motor combo- I have the boat in about 1000 pcs right now- The motor pump and interior are being rebuilt, and I also am going to do the hook removal thing- I know that you (and I) will have to address the trailer(mine has carpeted bunks) to make sure the bunks are right, cuz it will ruin all the work fixing the hook if you put it back on the same roller bunks! They have to be set-up perfect before the boat is put back on it. Just my .02 Stan

sidewound
01-22-2003, 04:03 PM
Hey Stan,
Thanks for the reply. Yes The trailer needs work. I,m not sure exactly how to set up the bunks but am hoping to gain info. I've looked at a lot of pics of trailers and will run with that.
Any clues you can give me on how to set the bunks? Peace Man
Cesar

corlish
01-22-2003, 07:58 PM
Sidewound,
Hook and Rocker are somewhat related...they are opposite of each other. Hook is a concave bottom (depending on your perspective) and rocker is opposite, you could think of a rocker on a rocking chair to visualize rocker in the hull.
I believe that you and I have the same hull basically. I have a '71 Rogers Cyclone, it's bottom and yours I believe are both splashes of the early 60's Glastron Aqua-Lift. They are known as "deep-entry" hulls and under the right conditions are prone to severe bow-steer and even spinning the boat out. The good news is that they can be made fast, you just have to be careful! I was given some advice by an old racer of this style of hull that about 1/8" of hook is actually desirable in that it helps the rear of the boat set and not chine walk as badly. Chine walking and the genreally loose feeling can convince the driver to let off of the throttle suddenly...down comes the bow...it knifes in and around you go...
I believe that there was an extensive thread on here about Diggler's boat chine walking that may also be worthwhile to read.
Here's a picture that kind-of shows the deep-entry bow. I believe that yours is very similar
http://rap.midco.net/corlish/graphics/boat/new_home_garage.jpg

sidewound
01-22-2003, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the reply Corlish, :)
After looking at your and my pics I'm pretty sure the hull is the same. :D (Decks are different).
I was under the assumption that it was a tahiti "splash". With everybody splashin everybody back then who knows. Once I get it "downright" i'll probably have lots more questions. I'd like to get the max. lift out of the hull but I have also experienced the bow steer at throttle off. (Guess I won't back out like that again). I still want to get a good solid feel for the contact with the liquid. cry I'm just a whinin. Do your best and give it a shot. A freind of mine told me "It's only money". Ain't that the truth. Peace Man
Cesar

Marlin455
01-23-2003, 06:25 AM
Sidewound- I too have experienced the bow steer- scared the hell out of my wife! eek! (and me)! Like was said above- Diggler has the same hull, and had some serious chine walking problems at mid 70's- not sure how he deals with it, other than maybe NOT go that fast?! :D Anyway- I would be interested to know what the cam specs are that you put in your 455- I am still undecided for mine. I started to port and polish the heads yesterday- Very tedious and slow, but I don't wanna screw up my Ka heads, ya know? Any help you can give me would be really appreciated! Thanks, Stan

corlish
01-24-2003, 09:47 PM
Sidewound,
The hull is a Tahiti splash, but Dick Schuster splashed the Glastron for the old Tahiti '16 I believe. This was stretched out for our '18's.
If I am not mistaken, Dick Schuster (Tahiti) and Roger Weiman (Rogers) worked together and were the first to successfully put a jet in a v-bottom hull. Our hulls are direct descendents of that first one...a bit of trivia for ya...
Corey

sidewound
01-25-2003, 05:43 AM
Hey Corlish,
So I'm sombody. I have a direct descendant to the throne. Interesting info. What's the rod with the roll bar in the photo. Is it a 50 somthing chevy? Peace man.
Cesar

Jake W
01-25-2003, 04:00 PM
Most of this knolage came from OldRigger in a post in the Banderlog board if you are lucky he will grace your post with his great stories and facts of Tahiti's and Rogers past.Jake

corlish
01-25-2003, 10:45 PM
Sidewound,
The other "pile" in the garage is a '66 Fairlane with a tube chassis, 4-link and etc., I started working on that car in about '91...joined the military in '92 and it sat until my cousin starting robbing pieces and parts off of it in 2001. Way back it was going to be a Pro Street car but since I have started fooling with it again, it's going to be a race car this go-round. Funds being what they are though, the Rogers is getting priority :-).