PDA

View Full Version : Dominator jet rebuild?

squirtboat
11-08-2002, 06:49 PM
Does anyone know how to tell what kind of dominator jet I have? It has never been rebuilt since it was new. Where do I start and what do I do or look for?

squirtboat
11-08-2002, 07:55 PM
I guess no one knows anything about Dominators???? I damn sure dont. I was born in a v-drive and fell down between my moms legs and trimmed it up.

miller19j
11-08-2002, 08:04 PM
Try the book “Marine Jet Drive” by Seloc It has a dominator section and should tell you how to identify yours and rebuild it.
I do not know anything about dominators myself so I cant be of much help. But the book is worth the $11.00

jweeks123
11-08-2002, 08:06 PM
one way to tell is read the nane plate. there's info there like model, part no. and date of mfg. lacking a name plate? Where is the inspection cover for the pump? inside the boat or outside? if the inspection opening is inside, the jet is usually a removable model. if the opening is outside the hull, then it's often a non removable insert pump.
jw

squirtboat
11-08-2002, 08:09 PM
The isp. plate is on the inside stuffed in a hole. I havent found any numbers on it. I bought it from the dealer that sold it new in 88 and all he told me was it had never been into. How can you tell if it needs repair?

jacuzer
11-08-2002, 08:38 PM
Squirt,
3 things to try.
1. crawl under the boat and look into the intake.
Look at the leading edges on the impeller. Are they all dinged up?
2. remove the inspection cover and try to move the shaft up and down. Lots of play means the pump is loose. Fore and aft movement is VERY bad, the bearing is shot so don't run the boat
3. Drive the boat. Does it come out of the hole hard?
If the pump is 14 years old it probably needs at least a little work. A good blueprint will be well worth the money.
Kevin

squirtboat
11-08-2002, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the advice. It comes out of the hole fine. It seems like it is slipping like an auto trans tho. It lets the rpm come to the top coming out. When I bought it the guy said I might want to change the wear ring. Im a mechanic by trade, is this something I can do myself?

disco_charger
11-08-2002, 11:17 PM
Sounds like a wear ring to me. 1988, off the top of my head, I think Dominator called it a 12S, but it doesn't matter. It uses Berk shit anyway. Tell your shop you have the "new" Dominator. They'll hook you up. If you're doing it anyway, look at a stuffer grate and having your impeller cleaned up. If you're twisting to low an RPM for your motor go to the next size down. If not keep it as big as your motor will stand so it still hammers out of the hole.