PDA

View Full Version : jet boats get a thumbs down in parker.

victorfb
09-22-2003, 08:57 AM
last week, (thursday), my girlfriend and i drove out to parker AZ, to look at an old rogers 18 that was for sale.(was advertised 19) we didnt like the condition of the boat, so we didnt buy it. so since we were in the area we thought we would look around at a bunch of areas for next seasons trips. after spending hours all around parker and up to lower havasu, we decided to have lunch back at roadrunner. ( a floating bar in parker). we got just to the stairway when we were greeted by a very cool yellow labrador retriever, (there was about 4 of em running around) the owner of the dog was just walking over and we started talking. for a good 10-15 minutes. he was a friendly gentleman and we were having a nice conversation. i told him we were there looking at the rogers and he mentioned that there were alot of really nice boats doing a regatta just up river. i told him that we saw all the awsome boats on our way back down, and this is were the conversation stopped abruptly. see, i mentioned i loved seeing all the cool flatties ( V-drives) but i was looking for a jet. well the smile fell from his face and all he had to say was "OH". he then informed us that he had to go. i felt like i just told him i was infected with lepracy. now i know there has been alot of competetion between the two drives and even alot more sh*t talking, but to take it that seriously? i mean i love both style boats. i for one NEED a jet, as i am disabled and cannot just jump out the boat if i see the water getting too shallow and ready to ruin the prop. ive got nothing against V-drives. i am just partial to jets. i just am. but to be ostracized for the fact seems very rediculous. i understand all the locals at parker being into the fast alcohol burning, blown big block V-drives, its a great place for them.(when the water is flat) but i go all over the river and in some areas a V-drive just wouldnt be wise. does this sort of thing happen to any of you jet owners? do the V-drive owners ALL hate jets? to say the least, i was pretty bummed out after that. i love going to parker, but not if im going to be hated there just for owning a jet boat.

BIGAMIST
09-22-2003, 09:56 AM
**** EM!!!

King Kuracz
09-22-2003, 10:11 AM
WELL PUT!

Liberator TJ1984
09-22-2003, 11:56 AM
Should have turned tail and hosed down the F'n place with a rooster they would never forget devil but thats just me :D give e'm a reason not to like jets
more likely I would just not go there again and recommend everyone else who hasa jet avoid their business wink

victorfb
09-22-2003, 12:08 PM
well, for one, i didnt have the boat. i was planning on buying one while i was there. cant tow two trailers. besides, the roadrunner bar was not at fault for having a dumb ass visiting their establishment. im sure they need all the buisness they can get. i have had alot of good times there, and have nothing against the place. and i do love the parker strip. i just wish and hope it doesnt become some fueding grounds for a bunch of simple minded idiots. there may be some jet lovers out there that like to do the same thing to V-drive lovers, but as of now i havnt met any. and im hoping i dont.
when i see a nice boat runnin past me i dont first look to see what drive it has. i think of all the care and time and pride they have in their ride. i may have to rethink going up to these guys and talking to them about boats. id hate to get my ass beat for owning and loving jets.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
09-22-2003, 12:30 PM
UP HERE IN THE NORTHEAST THEY DON'T SHUN ME, THEY JUST LOOK AT ME LIKE I JUST ARRIVED FROM ANOTHER PLANET. "WWWHATTT A JET BOAT, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT" OR "YOU WANT PARTS FOR WHAT"... "30 YRS OLD"?...BILL

BK
09-22-2003, 01:39 PM
As far as the dude you were talking to, sounds like a lame ass and he doesnt reflect the attitude of most the v-drive guys ive been around. I went to Camp Far West for New Years last year and Fathers day this year (both huge v-drive get togethers) and everyone I met or was around got along great no matter what type of boat you had, a real good group of people.

sidewound
09-22-2003, 01:46 PM
Maybe he owned jets before and was just thinkin to himself "OH" this guy desn't know what he's in for! Maybe he just felt bad for ya! hehehe :D
Peace Man :cool:
CESAR

Unchained
09-22-2003, 02:00 PM
I'm sure the dynosaurs didn't like it when other animals started taking over their turf either.
:D

victorfb
09-22-2003, 04:19 PM
wow. its starting here aswell. ok ok, i didnt mean to suggest that all the V-drive folks hate jets. nor that they are mean people. cmon guys, relax! i understand the shit talking deal. kinda like a favorite football team. everyone has their own team and argue that its the best team ever, but you all still love the game, right? and if that guy at the bar would have made some sort of gesture or a smerk, but all in fun, i wouldnt have even givin it a second thought. but as soon as i said jet, he basically shunned me out. now do you guys do that when your watching a game? do you only watch with other fans of the same team? NO. you enjoy the game and the company with you.
this guy didnt want to have anything to do with me at that point. and just because i prefer to own a jet. hey. i dig all boats. especially the older ones. and for my personal reasons i want a jet. it has nothing to do with which one is faster, quicker, better handling, or even looks better. its just what i want. and im not going to say to anyone that a jet is better, nor am i going to say that a V-drive is better. i just want to enjoy the game!

Cas
09-22-2003, 04:54 PM
ah heck, you need to just let it go and just feel sorry for a lot of the v-drive people. The ones that bitch the most are the ones that are really jealous of the jet guys. They just get all upset they can't go the same places we can without fear of wiping out a prop.....or worse. They're also jealous they can't throw a rooster or back-up.

sidewound
09-22-2003, 05:12 PM
Hey Vic!
No harm meant by my comment.
I'm like BILL, all I ever hear is "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT"? Mine's 30+ yrs old.
Can't imagine being shunned over the kind of boat I own. It's rather an oddity here. The jet I mean.
Maybe that guy had "JET ENVY". Yha know, fast flashy boats, good lookin chicks, big rooster tail, wish I had one type of deal.
Just hoping I can ease your pain.
Peace Man :cool:
CESAR

DogHouse
09-22-2003, 07:07 PM
well, ya know, f'em if they can't take a joke! wink
definitely don't need attitudes over what kind of boat/drive a person has. i like all kinds of boats and appreciate the good points about all of them. hell, i have an i/o, hope you guys will still talk to me! :D

Havasu Hangin'
09-22-2003, 07:12 PM
Maybe ParkerDave was in a bad mood that day...

DogHouse
09-22-2003, 07:17 PM
Havasu Hangin':
Maybe ParkerDave was in a bad mood that day... it's tough giving up the v-drive dream...
:D

GottaJet
09-22-2003, 07:17 PM
burningm I'm gonna have to go with F'em as well. argue

Cs19
09-22-2003, 07:40 PM
i have appreciation for all types of boats. However i will fight the jet/v-drive battle to the end.

TRG
09-22-2003, 09:29 PM
hey vic!! I would'nt own anything other than a 18 rogers "JET" http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45toddsboatdriverside-med.JPG by the way,... its for sale!!!

victorfb
09-22-2003, 11:34 PM
Awwwww... there we go, now my family is getting along. :D well most of it anyhow. :p
jets - V-drives - I/Os - O/Bs whatever floats your boat, or in this case, moves your boat. there all a part of our great sport/hobby/passion. and we all share it. and it is one hell of a cool gig.
Toddnjuzz: thats a real nice ride you got there. i too am partial to the rogers. though i do like the 19s aswell. but an 18 would suite me just fine. were was that pic taken? looks like the ocean up north. i sure hope your cleaning all that salt from her real well. id hate to see it go bad.

09-23-2003, 09:58 AM
Personally I like all fast boats, jet, v-drive or I.O. If its fast I like it. But I have one question, what is it about the roostertails that you jet guys are always braggin' about? To me its like the low riders that jump their cars, a totally worthless display of......? Us V-drivers like the speed, hell if we didn't we would own Gayliners or something like that. But you guys do too otherwise you wouldn't spend big bucks on speed parts and custom built engines. Our V-drives will make a roostertail too but its from the prop under the boat and its a result of big power and speed and not something we live for, brag about and take pictures of to whip out and show like proud parents of children. Perhaps this is why SOME v-drivers do not take you jetters as serious boaters. I know its all about fun but you guys are just as guilty of sturring the debate pot when posts are put up like "All the reasons jets are better than prop boats" and others like it, and they have been numerous. I am a flatbottom owner and I like driving them as they are more of a challenge to drive and unless you guys have ever driven a flat you are not qualified to speak to which boat is better or worse. I have owned and driven both so I can speak to the issue.

BIGAMIST
09-23-2003, 10:51 AM
058:
Personally I like all fast boats, jet, v-drive or I.O. If its fast I like it. But I have one question, what is it about the roostertails that you jet guys are always braggin' about? To me its like the low riders that jump their cars, a totally worthless display of......? Us V-drivers like the speed, hell if we didn't we would own Gayliners or something like that. But you guys do too otherwise you wouldn't spend big bucks on speed parts and custom built engines. Our V-drives will make a roostertail too but its from the prop under the boat and its a result of big power and speed and not something we live for, brag about and take pictures of to whip out and show like proud parents of children. Perhaps this is why SOME v-drivers do not take you jetters as serious boaters. I know its all about fun but you guys are just as guilty of sturring the debate pot when posts are put up like "All the reasons jets are better than prop boats" and others like it, and they have been numerous. I am a flatbottom owner and I like driving them as they are more of a challenge to drive and unless you guys have ever driven a flat you are not qualified to speak to which boat is better or worse. I have owned and driven both so I can speak to the issue. Like I said **** EM!!!

HalletDave
09-23-2003, 11:02 AM
Like I said **** EM!!! Jeff,
How do you realy feel? :D :D

superdave013
09-23-2003, 11:11 AM
victorfb:
do the V-drive owners ALL hate jets? to say the least, i was pretty bummed out after that. i love going to parker, but not if im going to be hated there just for owning a jet boat. Now vic, come on brah. Don't let one turd ruin it for ya. I mean, I'm a hard core v drive guy but did I look like I hated jet boats when you met me at CBBB? Hell I towed a jet boat out to that event. (and had a blast riding around in it, don't ell anyone. haha)
To me any boat that gets you out there to have fun is all good.
BTW, there is way more old jet boats runing around out at Parker then V Drives.

victorfb
09-23-2003, 11:13 AM
my intentions of the post had nothing to do with the debate of which boat is "better". but more of why did i get shunned for wanting to own a jet boat. i would own a V-drive aswell if i could afford it. but it would be a certian use boat. i feel the jets are a bit more versital. safer for my application and use. and your right, (some)jet owners are just as at fault in the hole debate thing. i just dont get it, and refuse to be a part of it. as for the rooster deal on a jet... i for one love to see the water shooting into the sky, especially right before sunset. i guess you can say the same thing about a fireworks show. Whats the point? right? well it looks cool. and to have the control of it whenever you want is a cool deal. useless? well if all your after is speed, then yes. its a cool factor thing. nothing more. why do we all want all these awsome graphics in the gell coat? its cheaper and easier to maintian a plain white boat. but you want it to look cool. yes V-drives make a rooster, but like you said, it takes big HP to do so in a V-drive. not so in a jet. maybe thats why SOME prefer the jet. i dont know. not everyone is after speed. if i was, id probably go with the V-drive over any other.
be happy with the boat you have. wave hi to other fellow boater. be safe and have fun. isnt that what its all about?

victorfb
09-23-2003, 11:29 AM
hey superdave...
your absolutly right, and i am not letting this one guy ruin it at all. as a matter of fact i am completely over it. i just opened up a can of worms by posting it and now realize i should have kept it to myself. oh well.. :D
i very much enjoyed meeting you at the CBBB. your my kind of boater. we seem to share the same passion for nice boats. (any of em) i had a blast meeting and talking to everyone there. what a great group. i even got to stay for monday and did some way cool boating. met up with oldrigger and floated a while. and he didnt even mind a jet boat that won worst gell coat floating next to his way cool flattie. did you get to see that thing? AWSOME!!! :D
i bet you were going through withdrawls being out there without your boat. but it sure seemed like you were having a blast anyway. i know i did. cant wait to hook up with all of you guys again. hopefully my boat will look alot better next time. but hey, it still runs hard and is fast enough for me. :p

HotHallet
09-23-2003, 11:57 AM
**** Em! Jets are perfect for all water! Roost on Roadrunners.

HotHallet
09-23-2003, 11:58 AM
Hey Todd that scoop looks good on your boat!!!

hboldno7
09-23-2003, 12:22 PM
chicks dig jet boats :cool:

spectras only
09-23-2003, 12:48 PM
victorfb , look at my avatar. They're both jets.Now look at my profile what you see there wink ? .You'll never hear me downtalk on jets :cool:

09-23-2003, 01:57 PM
victorfb:
my intentions of the post had nothing to do with the debate of which boat is "better". but more of why did i get shunned for wanting to own a jet boat. i would own a V-drive aswell if i could afford it. but it would be a certian use boat. i feel the jets are a bit more versital. safer for my application and use. and your right, (some)jet owners are just as at fault in the hole debate thing. i just dont get it, and refuse to be a part of it. as for the rooster deal on a jet... i for one love to see the water shooting into the sky, especially right before sunset. i guess you can say the same thing about a fireworks show. Whats the point? right? well it looks cool. and to have the control of it whenever you want is a cool deal. useless? well if all your after is speed, then yes. its a cool factor thing. nothing more. why do we all want all these awsome graphics in the gell coat? its cheaper and easier to maintian a plain white boat. but you want it to look cool. yes V-drives make a rooster, but like you said, it takes big HP to do so in a V-drive. not so in a jet. maybe thats why SOME prefer the jet. i dont know. not everyone is after speed. if i was, id probably go with the V-drive over any other.
be happy with the boat you have. wave hi to other fellow boater. be safe and have fun. isnt that what its all about? I wasn't bringing up the "Which is better" debate I was just pointing out why you may have been shunned. Not all v-drivers treat jetters with the same lack of respect. About the only thing I can think of for the fellow's poor additude is there was the V-drive get-together at Red Rock and he didn't think jetters should be there. idea

King Kuracz
09-23-2003, 06:34 PM
BIGAMIST:
**** EM!!! Nuff Said

Trailer Park Casanova
09-23-2003, 08:52 PM
I miss my jet drives.
I had them for decades.
Now, the kids are into Wakeboarding so it's a direct drive tower boat for the moment, (same issues as a V drive for direct drive owners), then we'll buy back into Hypo boats when the kids are gone.
I have to anchor a little farther out at the sandbars, a little deeper to mind the prop,,
Can't leave it anchored on the water overnight for fear of the river level dropping to where ya wake up and the boat is sittin on it's bent prop and rocks.
Besides that, no problems really. Goes everywhere.
I loved my jets,, love my direct drive too.
No BFD really.
[ September 23, 2003, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]

HavasuBarney
09-23-2003, 09:21 PM
I still hate those damn hot tun car boats! :D
The V-drive guys aint much better, they too are putting car motors INSIDE their boats, what's wrong with you people! :p

victorfb
09-24-2003, 09:29 AM
About the only thing I can think of for the fellow's poor additude is there was the V-drive get-together at Red Rock and he didn't think jetters should be there. the V-drive "get together" was at red rock, on the water. i was at roadrunner, without a boat. had no intention of getting on the water. besides, wouldnt it make more sense for him to want me to see these cool boats and try to convert me? i would understand if i was pulling up to them with my jet boat and wanted to hang out there. it wasnt my place at the time. but that wasnt the case.

F N Fast
09-24-2003, 10:03 AM
Don't let some prick decide for you what you’re going to have a good time in. I know lot's of V Drivers, lots of Jet Drivers, and I/O drivers, weedwackers, etc. We all give each other a good ribbing now and then.
Part of the fun is giving each other a hard time by overstating the advantages and disadvantages of one type of boat, hull, drive, engine over another. The real reason we do this is to help justify in our own minds (Maybe our significant other's minds too) the reason why we spent and continue to spend all this coin on our "hobby/ speed habit" we have. No matter what we think ours is the best & baddest, but the reality is there's "ALWAYS" someone that's bigger, badder, faster and can out spend you.
It's like the never ending Ford/Chevy debate. Just as many Chevy's have pulled out Fords and vise versa.
Jets vs. V Drives - honestly who cares?
If there's truly assholes out there that would want to beat your ass just because of the type boat you have, we can only hope the asshole jet boaters hang out next to the asshole V Drivers and they'll cancel each other out deciding who's got the bigger penis (This is of course assuming they don't have them pulled back into their ass with duct tape).
So I say run what ya brung, sit back enjoy the T&A, have a good time.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1046post-7-1062465097.jpg
[ September 24, 2003, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: F N Fast ]

victorfb
09-24-2003, 10:55 AM
F N Fast... well put. thanks for helping out.
BTW. very nice boat you got there. jawdrop

Beautiful Noise
09-24-2003, 02:24 PM
RiverDave
What makes you think I'm giving up my V-Drive dream? RD [/QB]Follow your DREAM RD you won't be Sorry :D :D Sorry I didn't mean to Cross over to the Jet Forum's,My Bad :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D
Steve
[ September 24, 2003, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Beautiful Noise ]

Bense468
09-24-2003, 02:46 PM
RiverDave:
Beautiful Noise:
RiverDave
What makes you think I'm giving up my V-Drive dream? RD Follow your DREAM RD you won't be Sorry :D :D Sorry I didn't mean to Cross over the Jet Forum's,My Bad :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D
Steve Well the Dream is a Speed Ski style cruiser.. This winter just might yield me something a little smaller and "flat"ter though.. wink :D To tie me over.
RD [/QB]A skateboard?

Beautiful Noise
09-24-2003, 03:06 PM
Bense468
A skateboard? [/QB]As long as it's V- DRIVEN I think it still count's :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D
Steve

Beautiful Noise
09-24-2003, 03:17 PM
RiverDave
Beautiful Noise, c'mon now is there anything else?
RD [/QB]Not that I can think of :D :D :D
Steve

Beautiful Noise
09-24-2003, 04:08 PM
Got It :)
Steve

victorfb
09-24-2003, 09:50 PM
you guys are too much...... " A SKATEBOARD "....... now thats funny. :D

Brent
09-28-2003, 03:08 PM
I feel your pain bud me and my many brother jet boaters and hated by all here on lake Corpus Christi in Mathis Texas. So to deal with this minor delema we torment as many fishing,ski and sail boats with loud screaming bassets and big beautiful rooster tails every chance we get.Jet on brother devil

dmontzsta
09-28-2003, 07:44 PM
Brent:
I feel your pain bud me and my many brother jet boaters and hated by all here on lake Corpus Christi in Mathis Texas. So to deal with this minor delema we torment as many fishing,ski and sail boats with loud screaming bassets and big beautiful rooster tails every chance we get.Jet on brother devil ohhhh. Scary!
:)
Pick on someone your own size. :D

LVjetboy
09-29-2003, 01:51 AM
o58, I'm not qualified to speak as I've never owned a v. But I'll be happy to speak anyway. The only v-drives I've seen that throw a decent tail are top fuel. Lake v's all seem to have weak a** tails. Why is that?
jer

dmontzsta
09-29-2003, 06:23 AM
Can you guys correct me if I am wrong. Dont rooster tails take away your power?

09-29-2003, 09:29 AM
LVjetboy:
o58, I'm not qualified to speak as I've never owned a v. But I'll be happy to speak anyway. The only v-drives I've seen that throw a decent tail are top fuel. Lake v's all seem to have weak a** tails. Why is that?
jer LV, you are ALWAYS happy to speak :D I dunno...I can't answer your question. Perhaps is because the prop is under the boat, not on the back. None the less It isn't something V-drivers think about, worry about or even care about so to us it isn't an issue. wink

Moneypitt
09-29-2003, 08:49 PM
When a hot flatbottom v drive with a good power to weight ratio first takes off, the prop will spin in the water, like a drag car spinning its tires. This will create a roostertail, as the boat takes a set, (trims out), the prop speed, and the boat speed even out and the rooster will go away, and the boat will accelerate harder. If you watch a properly set up hot flat, there is very little rooster, or wake for that matter, once the boat trims out,(takes a set). The drag boats that throw water all the way through the 1/4 mile are spinning the prop with outragous power to weight advantages. Imagine how fast they would go if they ever really hooked up...Moneypitt

Moneypitt
09-29-2003, 09:02 PM
Back to the original "thumbs down" post. The only comments I heard at the Red Rock v drive social concerning jets were complaints about drivers not respecting a low/no wake area where boats were anchored along the shore line. It wasn't the boats that drew the complaints, it was the operators. Jet skis also created large rollers along the beach, and were bitched about. To say that jetboats get a "thumbs down" along parker isn't necessarily directed at the boat! Some deep v barges, and even some of the v drives at the event were also inconsiderate of the boats along the beach.....What I'm trying to say is, Its not the boats fault, its the owners/operators that don't respect others space, regardless of the type of boat. In my opinion, there is plenty of river for all of us to play and have fun. Lets play together, respecting each others space, and above all else, lets do it safely.......Moneypitt

Cs19
09-29-2003, 09:59 PM
I think jetters kind of get a bad wrap. A large percent of first time boat owners own jets, or least used to. Now all the first timers buy cigarette boats. :D Anyway, i have seen so many jetters just blowing it out at the river. Driving up and down the river making more noise than anyone ,while going slower than anybody and sporting a huuggee rooster tail at 65 mph,which is only hurting performance, not displaying any sort of power.Meanwhile doing S-turns all the way up the river like they are on a PWC, i have seen it time and time again.This tends to screw up the water and makes jets look bad. I am not the biggest fan of v-drives nor their owners and will never own a V-drive EVER. but i am even less of a fan of dorks in jets.I heard about some problems at camp far west a while back with some jetters making chop while they wanted to make passes, and i completly understand where the v-drivers are coming from.They are putting it all on the line and some guy pulling a tube could easily cause ALOT of problems for a fast boat. However i think the v-drivers need to understand the jetters with fast boats need flatter water than they do and they should invite the hot jets to their events as we are not going to chew up the water and jeopardize anything.Guys in fast jets do not like chop and neither do their light lay up hulls. .. i think they are scared :D whats worse than being beat by a jet in a V-drive? ..NOTHING..

victorfb
09-29-2003, 10:41 PM
not to keep beating a dead horse here moneypitt, but when you say "lets get back to the original thread" please read it carefully. neither I nor the other gentleman were on the water at all. as a matter of fact, i didnt even have my boat with me , and he was getting ready to go launch his pontoon boat. it had nothing to do with what was going on AT the get together of flatties. he and i were having a conversation and as soon as i said i am into jets, he split. i didnt make any wakes, i didnt get in anyones way, and i didnt put down the v-drives at all. hell, i dig em too. and dont get me wrong moneypitt, i do like your post, this is just to clearify to ALL, EVERYONE, THE ENTIRE GANG, that this was just a conversation off the river. and with just one individual. i over reacted by posting the thread, but hey, it did turn out to be interesting read. :D

Moneypitt
09-29-2003, 10:52 PM
Sounds like he was the type that wouldn't drink free whiskey, because it wasn't his brand!! You can't please everyone all the time. You see, I own a jet and a vdrive, so I can relate to both sides of the issue. Again the guy you ran into, was just that, a guy you ran into. He may be a jerk to everyone except little girls, you just never know!........Moneypitt

victorfb
09-29-2003, 10:56 PM
exactly moneypitt. well said. and by the way, if i could have both jets and v-drives i would too. but for now. i just want a really nice jet that i will enjoy. thanks for all the great posts. EVERYONE!!!

LVjetboy
09-29-2003, 11:41 PM
Victor, don't sweat the posting part. Post your comments then go with the flow. Let the thread go where people's interests lay. Jet's vs V-drives.
That's what forums are about and why it was interesting reading copy?
jer
[ September 30, 2003, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]

LVjetboy
09-29-2003, 11:51 PM
dmontzsta,
Too much tail does slow your speed. Ask Samson. :) Or too little tail. But not by much so no big deal. If you go 65 then maybe 66 with no tail? I personally like a fat low tail, not the high fire hose thing with mist under. To each his own. So I run mine about 4-6 feet above water level. That way all the stuff under is filled in. Also works best with my hull for top speed. Speed rules, but what if you have both speed and a tail? How cool is that? Check my avatar...bow light included.
o58, I'll get back to ya on that.
:)
jer
[ September 30, 2003, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]