PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Bashers

checkmate76
08-21-2003, 12:21 PM
burningm Whats up with you "chevy guys" always bashing other FELLOW jet-boaters engine brands???!!! What, if its not a chevy it won't run. or you can't get any poontang on your jet if its not powered by chevy? I see nothing wrong with an Olds motor, Ford, Mopar, even Pontiac.
Telling people to ditch their ford or olds and put in a chevy, they might as well have the same hull, pump, and chick too. Thats what makes the jet-boat world exciting is the different variations and combinations.
Hell, what if everybody drank the same brand of BEER - OH NO!!!! :p

cyclone
08-21-2003, 12:23 PM
i like 455's but i've never been accused of being a rocket scientist either. :D

Oldsquirt
08-21-2003, 01:16 PM
cyclone:
...rocket scientist... :D :D :D :D :D
[ August 21, 2003, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: OLDSQUIRT ]

Squirtcha?
08-21-2003, 01:36 PM
I bought my boat with a BBF in it, at least in part because it was something different. I almost bought a boat with an Olds in it prior to that. Kinda glad I didn't though........someone I knew bought it and a week later it threw a rod (not bashing em, it's just what happened). I have an appreciation for the guys that can build a quick Olds, Ford, Mopar or Poncho and make it hold together. I also enjoy handing out a Chevy whooping occasionally. Only downside I can see is the higher cost of parts.
I reckon this post was aimed primarily at the Chevy guys though, eh?
[ August 21, 2003, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

MoparSanger
08-21-2003, 02:25 PM
There is nothing wrong with Chevy's and Bud Light beer wink
I Just like Mopars and a good pale ale.
It would have cost me more to put a chevy in my boat then a mopar.
[ August 21, 2003, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: MoparSanger ]

LakesOnly
08-21-2003, 02:59 PM
***boat, as in Hotrod, as in CUSTOM.
That's what it's mainly about for me....
LO

Hotcrusader76
08-21-2003, 03:06 PM
LakesOnly:
***boat, as in Hotrod, as in CUSTOM.
That's what it's mainly about for me....
LO He said "***boat, as in Hotrod, as in CUSTOM" as in I OWN A FORD :D

oldphart
08-21-2003, 04:17 PM
Guys I gots a Ford in ma boat, a ford pickup, a ford hot rod, a ford in ma sprint car, and a ford in ma old ladies pickup. If ford made a cycle i wouldnt be riding ma BMW. I'd rather eat WORMS than own a chevy, but I can appreciate any hot boat, hot rod, race car for what it is and the work and imagination put in by the owner. In the immortal words of that great statesman Rodney King, Wha caints we all jus lives together?

Omega21
08-21-2003, 06:09 PM
Hehehe...I've got a 455 for the boat, the 350 in my pickup, the 318 in the jeep and the 460 in my cube van. All different brands, 2 small blocks & 2 big blocks. Wanna know the difference I see so far?
The big blocks can drink serious volumes of gasoline....and that's about it. I will admit the 455 isn't together at the moment..but that was no fault of the engine itself. A previous owner dropped the engine on the 3 point mount & decided to run it that way. He just didn't notice it pushed the pan into the crank & sold it cheap cause it had a hurrendous knock..
Todd

TX Daytona
08-21-2003, 10:05 PM
I used to tell folks "I'm a chevy man myself" then my wife grabbed me by the ear one day and said, look out there in the drive way and tell me what you see. Hum, a 56 Chevy, 69 Chevelle, 91 Le Baron conv., 92 Buick roadmaster wagon, 96 Ford ext. Cab Pick up, and a (really old)76 Ferrari Dino. Now, she says, go back in there and tell the truth. You want every damn car & boat you see.
I think I'll keep her.

skeepwerkzaz
08-21-2003, 10:57 PM
All loud things are cool!
I like airplane, boat and car noise. I also however am a pontiac, chevy nut. I have been there with the olds boys and know those heartaches, and care to spend my $$ on my two favs. Can I respect the others???? Hell yeah. If it turns MONEY, and hard work into fumes and acceleration I DIG IT. BUT.....if it doesn't have wheels or a motor, F^%$# it.

victorfb
08-21-2003, 11:25 PM
any good running motor, is a good one in my book.
it just seems to be easier to find and afford chevy HP. (for most of us)
build em all i say.... :D

beached 1
08-22-2003, 06:06 AM
skeepwerkzaz:
All loud things are cool!
Amen

rmclague
08-22-2003, 06:58 AM
I have suffered at the hands of an olds in ajet boat for the last time! I have have 455 that was done right come apart rebuilt even more right only to fail again. Truth is they can't handle the RPMs. We have all heard about the guy whose olds is the original motor in his 25 year old tub and it still runs great, well to that I say either you have a deal with the devil or you don't know how to use the skinny pedal!
I am still with a 350 rocket olds in my boat now (which has actually suprised me compared to the big block) I am sure it will fail before to long. When that happens as much as it pains me in goes the BBC. I know of ten times the number of fast reliable chevys than any other on the water. So in closing Dodge makes trucks, Ford makes hot rods, Harley makes motorcycles and unfortunately Chevy does boats.
Rob

Jet City
08-22-2003, 10:41 AM
What a boring world it would be if EVERBODY built only Chevrolets. I have nothing against them, in fact I currently own 2 Chev powered vehicles (454 and LT1 350). I just usually find the "other brands" more interesting when it comes to Hot-Rods and such. With guys like Edelbrock, Mondello, Kaase, Butler, Landy and others paving the way, theres no reason a guy can't make good power with a non-Chev brand mill. At higher power levels (over 600HP) the BBC will make more economical sense IMO, but for the power levels I'm after the 440 or 460 would be just as good a choice, and from my experience these 3 engines all offer excellent durability.

Hotcrusader76
08-22-2003, 11:04 AM
I thought I would share this story with ya'll since the topic suits it well.
As some may know I sold my F-350 Diesel powered 1986 model Ford. I LOVED THAT TRUCK but it was a time-bomb ready to go off. It never gave me problems other than not wanting to start when you drained the tanks dry :rolleyes:
After it's sale I purchased a newer 1999 version Z-71 :::::coughing"Chevy"coughing:::::....
Ya know....ever since I bought it I have been to the dealer nearly 4 times already for warranty repairs; drivers side window stopped working, leaking front diff, noisey transmission, A/C shit the bed (sounded like a pop-corn machine).
The funny thing is everytime I visit Bob Baker Chevrolet I roll in with spirit sporting my Ford Racing hat and they always give me shit for it. Don't get me wrong...this truck is very hard pulling with it's 5.3 Vortec and nearly pulls harder than the other truck, but it seems to be a POS lemon or is it just this line of 1500 4X4s?
Moral of the story...I love them all and represent many! My next project if the Merlin falls through...a 514! :D

Terrible Buddhist
08-22-2003, 11:08 AM
I love the 'other motor' guys...its more fun going back to the beach and saying...hey whipped another Ford today. Of course...like you guys said...the same thing over and over is not as much fun :)

Blown 472
08-22-2003, 11:10 AM
Terrible Buddhist:
I love the 'other motor' guys...its more fun going back to the beach and saying...hey whipped another Ford today. Of course...like you guys said...the same thing over and over is not as much fun :) yeah, I hear that all the time from the guys with two chivvys in their boats after I hand them their ass's. :rolleyes:
[ August 22, 2003, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Blown 472 ]

Jet City
08-22-2003, 11:34 AM
Hotcrusader76:
I thought I would share this story with ya'll since the topic suits it well.
As some may know I sold my F-350 Diesel powered 1986 model Ford. I LOVED THAT TRUCK but it was a time-bomb ready to go off. It never gave me problems other than not wanting to start when you drained the tanks dry :rolleyes:
After it's sale I purchased a newer 1999 version Z-71 :::::coughing"Chevy"coughing:::::....
Ya know....ever since I bought it I have been to the dealer nearly 4 times already for warranty repairs; drivers side window stopped working, leaking front diff, noisey transmission, A/C shit the bed (sounded like a pop-corn machine).
The funny thing is everytime I visit Bob Baker Chevrolet I roll in with spirit sporting my Ford Racing hat and they always give me shit for it. Don't get me wrong...this truck is very hard pulling with it's 5.3 Vortec and nearly pulls harder than the other truck, but it seems to be a POS lemon or is it just this line of 1500 4X4s?
Moral of the story...I love them all and represent many! My next project if the Merlin falls through...a 514! :D Sorry to hear about your luck on the new rig, I went the other way, last truck was a Z/71 now driving a Ford F150 S-cab 4x4 Offroad Lariat. My experience with my '91 Z/71 4x4 ex-cab 350 TBI was positive, I sold it with over 190K on the clock and it never let me down, other than a starter, regular wear parts were all that it ever needed, best truck I've ever owned. Even with the high miles it didn't use oil and out towed my new Ford. I have no complaints about the new Ford so far either, it is an improvement in ride, braking and comfort. I hope the dealer stands behind the truck, once you get the bugs worked out I'm sure you won't regret your decision.

LakesOnly
08-22-2003, 12:28 PM
oldphart:
...I can appreciate any hot boat, hot rod, race car for what it is and the work and imagination put in by the owner... Here, here.
LO

Squirtcha?
08-22-2003, 02:32 PM
Terrible Buddhist:
I love the 'other motor' guys...its more fun going back to the beach and saying...hey whipped another Ford today. Of course...like you guys said...the same thing over and over is not as much fun :) What he fails to mention is that he has to run a twin turbo setup to beat the BBFs. Aint that right TB? Hang a set of those turbos on a BBF, then let's see what happens.
How ya been anyway? Haven't heard from you in a while.
[ August 22, 2003, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Squirtcha? ]

Kurtis500
08-22-2003, 03:52 PM
Throw the chevy in the garbage and put a HEMI in it!! :D

UBFJ #454
08-22-2003, 04:11 PM
Kurtis -
We're currently investigating the new "Chevy" Hemi for use in our capsule boat.
Give me a call when you can, I'd like to talk to you about composite fabs.
jak

Back Forty
08-23-2003, 04:11 AM
No Chevys here. :D
Just a small block Olds for ya.
Well into the sub one second sixty foot times.
http://home.att.net/~oldsranch4/norwalk2003/DCP04080.JPG

1slowboat
08-23-2003, 11:42 AM
the way i look at it, i'm an american and stay american....460 in my boat(501 stroker), 350 chevy in my 89 jeep.....piss on imports!!!!!!! :D :D

dossangers
08-23-2003, 12:36 PM
BOWTIE OR DIE!!! 1 merlin 1 496 1 454 1 401 amx in a jeep that i cant blow up in the sand drags http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/167Dsc00176-med.jpg

Kurtis500
08-23-2003, 02:04 PM
Blackbear, is that the Fontana stuff or something newer?
My 24x30ft shop is being framed up tommorow. Maybe a few weeks to wire, drywall etc and then I am BACK! (finally) I would like to see what you have in mind. I picked up a few more items for composite construction that should expand my abilities a little more.
I'll give you a call soon.