PDA

View Full Version : Sea Strainer

gstark
10-28-2002, 12:39 PM
Anyone run a sea strainer off their pump ?
I don't know if the models I've seen (Stainless Marine) are pressure rated to the static pressures a pump can generate.
I've seen several blocks full of sand after years of service - something to avoid.

spectras only
10-28-2002, 01:01 PM
Gstark, never ran a strainer,instead I've removed drain plugs/cocks and drilled, tapped the block for a garden hose brass fitting [much cheaper than a strainer wink ] and cap them with the plastic caps for easy removal in case the sand grinds in and cease the threads,so it's easy to break them off and replace afterwards.After you encounter extremely shallow operation ,just hook up the garden hose to this fitting and reverse flush the block to dislodge the trapped sand.

HammerDown
10-28-2002, 03:36 PM
I've been using a strainer by Perco...one for the block and one for the headers...never any sand in the block and also never had any issues with blocked Header water lines.

gstark
10-28-2002, 05:19 PM
I'm particularily interested in what Rexone has to say about this. You really don't see these items (strainers) advertised for pump boats.
Years ago, I pulled the heads off my 455 and the block was 1/2 full of sand.
Today,I'm not interested in fixing the problem by flushing the block using petcocks. I'd rather eliminate the problem by filtration.
I'm toying with designing my own. Doesn't look like a difficult task. May even add a built-in oil cooler to it, as a tubular heat exchanger. Temp regulation would be the only issue.