PDA

View Full Version : Droop or no Droop?

RiverReady2
05-13-2003, 11:00 PM
Anybody had any luck with a Droop snoot? i have a stock 330hp motor and i was wondering if anybody has had any luck with stock hp and a droop snoot. My pump is a set back Dominator and my boat is a 21'Ultra. Thanks for any help.
-Justin :p
[ May 14, 2003, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: RiverReady2 ]

HBjet
05-13-2003, 11:17 PM
I'm sure there are a few people in here that have the same boat/power and they will be able to help you out better, but I do know some droops act different with different hulls. Do you have a Place Diverter?
HBjet

RiverReady2
05-13-2003, 11:57 PM
Ya I have a diverter and also any suggestions on Loaders would be great.
-Justin

Taylorman
05-14-2003, 07:54 AM
Check with Dwayne at Hi-Tech, he has a new part he calls a snoot. It does what a droop does but does not create drag like a droop does. I hear its suppose to be a good piece. Check with him before you buy.

mud duck
05-14-2003, 12:52 PM
I put a droop snoot on my 18' Taylor and got some mild porpoising & an increase in speed. I put a droop snoot on my 21' Ultra and got a solid ride. Ultras are heavy boats, ride like a Cadillac. I might want to try one of Duane's "snoots" but there is very little chance a 21' Ultra will porpoise with 330 hp.

HBjet
05-14-2003, 12:52 PM
Taylorman:
It does what a droop does but does not create drag like a droop does.A droop with only create drag when the wrong one is installed. When choosing droops, you need to make sure you choose one that will not hang lower then your ride plate. That is if your ride plate is set in the right position too.
HBjet

TIMINATOR
05-14-2003, 08:07 PM
I spent the big bucks on my last boat(205 Carrera Elite open bow 330hp Berkley), Place divertor,Place Droop Snoot,ride plate.MPH before:54 MPH after:57 also cut off the steps on the log manafolds and went to 3.5" exaust and Rexmarine SS tips. Never spent more money to gain almost NOTHING! Cut the impeller from AA to A, result: used more gas,raised the cruise RPM,NO MPH GAIN! Spend your money on ported oval port heads,Comp Cam 268 Jetboat cam(the 224 deg..525 lift one)Performer RPM intake, and 750 AFB by either Carter or Edelbrock. Those mods were good for 6-7 MPH and less cost.Then I got smart and quit trying to make that combination go fast and put it in an Eliminator 21 Daytona and gained 11-12 MPH and BETTER FUEL ECONOMY! Then I got crazy and built a 572 w/AFR heads,roller cam and all the cool stuff. 93 MPH and I STILL use less gas than the Carrera! Food for thought.......

ChetCapoli
05-14-2003, 08:27 PM
HBjet:
A droop with only create drag when the wrong one is installed.
HBjet That's interesting HB....i didnt know droops are so different that you could install the wrong one. Unless you talking about the real long one that is not made anymore???
Hey taylorman,
I'll let you spend the $500 big ones first on "the snoot" and if it doesnt work i'll buy it from you ok?? :D
CHET
P.S. HB your spending alot of coin on your boat i see.....gotta feeling 87mph isn't going to be too far away for ya. I wonder if i have anything to do with it. :D

yamakazi
05-14-2003, 09:41 PM
I added a droop to my 230 Eagle with the same HP as your Ultra. It didn't add any top end, but gave a great hole shot and a little better ride. Lets you throw a bigger roost too.

HBjet
05-15-2003, 12:18 AM
ChetCapoli:
I'll let you spend the $500 big onesI have a droop I'll sell you for 475 bucks Chet! Let me know and it's yours!
What I was talking about is if you have a ride plate, and you know it's set at the correvt level for that hull, and if you add a droop that lowes the end of the nozzle below that angle that you have your ride plate at, then it would cause drag. Damn Chet, I thought you would have at least known this! Let me guess though, the Aggressor droop will never be the wrong one, so that's why you think I don't know what I'm saying!
HBjet

HBjet
05-15-2003, 12:20 AM
ChetCapoli:
I wonder if i have anything to do with it. :D Don't flatter yourself! What I'm doing has been planned for 2 years! Now I'm finally doing it!
HBjet

Taylorman
05-15-2003, 08:29 AM
I'll be the first to admit im no expert on droops, just going off of what Dwayne told me. He added a ride plate and shoe and the straight nozzle extension which he calls the snoot and gained 10 mph on a 19' Taylor which is what I have. Thats the direction im going. Ride plate and shoes are already on and will test that pretty soon.

Max_182
05-15-2003, 08:55 AM
A droop snoot lowers the centerline of thrust, which will in turn cause lift at the bow. As far as drag, that depends on how much hull there is below the pump. If your boat is cutting water way forward on the hull at top speed, a snoot will usually lift the hull somewhat. This will usually cause an increase in speed simply because there is less hull in the water. Of course, YMMV.
Rick

RiverReady2
05-15-2003, 10:02 AM
Thanks for all the help you guys are giving its great, and keep it coming.
I've had my Ultra for about 2 years now and haven't put any money in it so my wallet has been brewing i just wan't to spend wisely!!
-Justin

HBjet
05-15-2003, 10:18 AM
Max_182:
As far as drag, that depends on how much hull there is below the pump.I don't understand this statement. Can someone pls explain to me! Thanks!
HBjet

ChetCapoli
05-15-2003, 11:46 AM
HBjet
[quote]I have a droop I'll sell you for 475 bucks Chet! Let me know and it's yours!
It was a joke..joke?? If you remember i have a droop(care to guess which one and it was only $185.00) I was stating that $500 smacks is ALOT of money for a gamble. I'll let him try it since he is so confident and if by chance it doesnt, he just might sell it..cheaper of course....geez randy, gotta spell it out for ya!
If you add a droop that lowers the end of the nozzle below that angle that you have your ride plate at, then it would cause drag.
hb i wonder about you sometimes...for the record ALL droops are the same length back (5in), same drop(1inch)and pretty much the same built in angle(7deg), the aggressor has (8in). Aside from that extra long droop berk doesnt make anymore, what other droop is going to fall "below" the rideplate?? If you remember the rideplate extends back almost as far as the droop does to eliminate that...or it should anyway. Besides, that's why the even have wedges.
you think I don't know what I'm saying!I WOULD NEVER SAY SUCH A THING BUDDY! All those donuts have to account for something dont they?? :D
CHET
[ May 15, 2003, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: ChetCapoli ]

HBjet
05-15-2003, 01:36 PM
Chet, I know the droop will not be lower then the ride plate, and your asking me to re-read....
Here's what I said
If you add a droop that lowers the end of the nozzle below that angle that you have your ride plate at, then it would cause drag.
What part don't you understand?
HBjet

ChetCapoli
05-15-2003, 06:56 PM
HBjet:
If you add a droop .
HBjet If you "a droop"....is what i dont understand. You seem to be implying all droops are different.
CHET

HBjet
05-15-2003, 10:23 PM
ChetCapoli:
HBjet:
If you add a droop .
HBjet If you "a droop"....is what i dont understand. You seem to be implying all droops are different.
CHET Damn, did you get smacked in the head with a baseball bat?
Droops are slightly different, and some will place your nozzle lower then your ride plate (granted if you have one and if it's at the proper setting for that particular hull)
Chet, you seem to be implying all droops are not! Do you have proof?
I know a place droop on my boat would not work because it did cause the nozzle to be lower then my ride plate angle, but my AT droop doesn't. How do you explain that Mr. Aggressor?
HBjet

Max_182
05-15-2003, 11:38 PM
Sorry, that was rather ambiguous. What I meant to say was this: If, while at cruise or WOT in your boat, you have enough "air" or "free space" so to speak under your nozzle such that a droop won't be largely dragging in the water stream coming from beneath the boat, then the drag issue is a non-event. To view it from the other extreme, if you have a PT boat or large V-bottom that stays fairly buried in the water, adding a droop snoot might amount to a drag-chut effect and the lift it offers is all but nullified by the mass of the hull. What kind of hull is it? If it's a 16' low profile boat, you'll likely see a considerable improvement. If it's a 24' V bottom, you'll probably see no improvement or worse.
Hope this helps.
Rk

RiverReady2
05-16-2003, 08:10 PM
My boat is a 21 foot and from what I hear Ultra's are a little on the heavy side. But i still think a Droop will get it out of the water. What Do ya thinl.
-JUSTIN

HBjet
05-16-2003, 10:09 PM
go ahead and get a droop. If you don't like it, it shouldn't be hard to sell!
HBjet

jet496
05-17-2003, 01:32 AM
I installed a droop from Place Diverter on my 2001 21' Ultra Stealth. It gave me a monster ass rooster tail & a few miles an hour on the top end. It does cause the boat to porpoise a bit, but it's controllable with a diverter. My kids love the porpoising, when I choose not to control it. It makes for a fun ride.
Go for it. They're inexpensive & easy to put on or take off if you don't care for it.
Good luck.