PDA

View Full Version : ROZ or Havasu Hangin I need some sound advise.

Stoked
09-04-2002, 04:00 PM
I was talkiing to boatnam2 and he suggested contacting Roz or Havasu Hangin. Please help. I have a new Stoker 224, with a Kenwood KDC X859 cd/mp3 player in the dash. 2 Boston Rally Series 6X9's in the bulkhead and 2 Boston Rally Series 6.5's in the side panels. The system is powered by 2 Optima blue tops. The 6X9's sound great but the 6.5's are very tinny, the dealer suggested builing boxes around the 6.5's and if I still wasn't happy they would trade them for 6X9's. I want to improve my system but am unclear which route is best for my application: 2 channel, 4 channel, 5 channel with a sub? From what I understand boats are different animals from cars and trucks? Without adding too much weight to the boat I want to build a clean hard hitting system, (The ghetto thump does not appeal to me.) Any sound advise or resources would be greatly appreciated Thank You Steve.

ROZ
09-05-2002, 09:34 AM
Stoked,
First, there is validity to what your installer has said regarding creating an enclosure for your 6.5" speakers. In a car you have a speaker set up engineered to use the door cavity as an enclosure, so to speak, and the cabin space to give you the bass extension you're normally use to. In a boat you have no cabin to "trap" the longer lower frequencies, and you possibly have too large an area behind the side panels(maybe the length of the boat)for the speaker's driver to work with. Result is a floppy driver producing low to no bass and will probably grenade due to lack of woofer control. A lot of guys with systems have their speakers crossed over at frequencies high enough that this is probably not an issue, because low frequencies are not playing through the speaker.
Depending on what you're looking to get from your stereo system, there are several ways to complete it to your liking.
If you like the output the deck provides and it has a sub preout, you can add a 10" or 12" subwoofer with a 250 watt mono amp to fill the bottom end. You can make boxes for the 6.5's, or cross the lower frequencies out. If you decide to build boxes for the 6.5's, contact the mfg. for enclousre specs.
EDIT: Sorry hit wrong button. I'll finish up.
If you want to play a louder, cleaner, and have more system control, you can run a 5 channel amplifier. 1 channel for each 6x9, 1 channel for each 6.5, and the 5th channel for a 10" or 12" subwoofer.
If you want to have screamin mids and highs and good bass response on a budget, you can run a good 4 channel amp in a 3 channel mode. 6x9's and 6.5's all run off the front 2 channels(2 ohm parallel load ea. channel) while the 3rd and 4th channel are bridged to run a 10" or 12" sub woofer.
Reason I suggested one amp and 1 sub is because you say space and weight are a factor, and good sound is to be had with quality gear and installation.
Hope this helps.
BTW, That is a really good deck.
[ September 05, 2002, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

Stoked
09-05-2002, 08:16 PM
ROZ thanks for the info, hope you don't mind but I would like to pick your brain a little more, rather than reinvent the wheel. Will my 6X9's be allright without an enclosure? I am considering the new Eclipse 5 channel amp. (any thoughs?) Would you recomend a 10 or 12 sub? I enjoy bass that accents the system not overpower it. In my dually I have 2 12W6 JL's and they are a bit boomy rather that tight and hard hitting, everything is properly built according to JL specs. I guess I am asking what size sub would best suit my taste? Lastly will the two Optima batteries and a stock charging system of a Merc HP500EFI keep me running. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again Steve

ROZ
09-05-2002, 11:54 PM
Stoked
Will my 6X9's be allright without an enclosure? Since they are mounted on the bulkhead and sound responsive to you, I'd leave them. They should be fine. Generelly made to fit into the rear deck of a car, they use the trunk as airspace behind the driver and are using the under bow in the same respect.
I am considering the new Eclipse 5 channel amp. (any thoughs?) Some may disagree (a guy in our training department included), but I'd seriously look into the Alpine MRVF450. The sub performance should totally out perform the Eclipse.
Would you recomend a 10 or 12 sub? I enjoy bass that accents the system not overpower it. In my dually I have 2 12W6 JL's and they are a bit boomy rather that tight and hard hitting, everything is properly built according to JL specs. I guess I am asking what size sub would best suit my taste? Having someone try to describe bass is like trying to describe a sunset to someone. My interpitation may be a bit different, but I think you're trying to get away from "street bass." Under normal circumstances I'd say go for a good power handling 10 in a sealed enclosure, but we are talking about a boat and placement under deck will make a difference.
I'd probably stick with a really good 10 in an enclosure NOT exceeding specified volume, and mount it on either the driver's or passenger's leg against the gunnel with the cone facing toward the boat's center line. Amp rack on the opposite side would look trick too. We did this in an MTR, and it sounded really good.
If you can't do this because of where the 6x9's are mounted, you could go with a downfiring configuration placing it on centerline foward of your pedal.
Play around with placement for best results.
Lastly will the two Optima batteries and a stock charging system of a Merc HP500EFI keep me running. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again SteveShould be fine.
Hopefully HH or Froggy will have a little input here as well.
Where are you getting this stuff anyway? With the brands you've shot off, it sounds like you're in one of my stores. eek!
Hope this helps,
Chris
You might try installing all but the sub and trying JL's 10 and 12 powerwedge store displays in your boat in the store's parking lot. It may help in finalizing your decision.
If any of this doesn't make sense, look at the post time. Feel free to call or Email if you wish.
[ September 06, 2002, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

Stoked
09-06-2002, 03:49 PM
ROZ Sounds great Thanks for the reply. I left a message on your E-Mail please give me a call
Steve

kcm21
09-06-2002, 07:09 PM
Roz,
If you don't mind I would like to throw in a little also, (correct me if i am wrong) in a boat you need alot more sound because it is all open so boxing the 6.5's would be a good idea. also i know weight and space are key but if this be the case why not buy a base tube......i know i would never do it cause i would box them, but i have heard boats with tubes and they sound good.
this way you could throw in two (go jlw0) they need less airspace than the w6 to sound good. also am i correct in saying that component 6.5's would sound better than 6x9's. 6x9's are alot of sound but as for clarity i think alot is lost.... and quite possibly another set of mids and highs? my personal opinoin but from what i have seen in a boat you need alot more sound for it to carry plus if you want to listen to music while you are cruising you need more speakers. my last piece of advice get at least two amps, very rarely can you actually have too much juice going to your speakers. just my .02
roz please feel free to correct me if i am wrong :D
-kev-
sound systems are like boat motors......you always want to go bigger than what you got :D :D eek!