PDA

View Full Version : WR426 Question?

Caribbean Jet
04-23-2003, 11:07 AM
I'm looking to add to my Toy collection. I'm interested in a used WR426. I have been told that the YZF426 and the WR426 are harder to start than the other four strokes when they are hot. Do any of you have any feed back on these bikes or any others. Thanks

DickDanger
04-23-2003, 11:45 AM
I dont know about the WR, as that is more of a trail bike, but I do know about the YZF. With the introduction of the YZ450F, Yamaha effectively solved the "hot start" problem, but for the 426, there is a drill that you must follow to a "T". Put the bike in neutral, pull the hot start button (this lets cool air enter the carb), bring the piston up to TDC, hold in the compression lever, keep your hand off of the throttle, and give it a good kick. Get to know this drill well. Practice it until you can do it in your sleep. Yamaha MAY have made an electric starter that you can put on the YZ426, but I dont remember. Hope this helps. -DD Out

TOBTEK
04-23-2003, 11:51 AM
I've owned a few 426's in the past few years. They are not hard to hard ATALL, I would start mine in the garage with ugg boots on! BUT you HAVE TO LEARN the starting process...If you try to start it like a two stroke you will hate this bike in 5 minutes. NO MATTER WHAT you have to use the comp release and bring it to top dead center, then first kick almost every time. Ofcourse use your hotstart button. And if you try to rush it, it will not work. NEVER, NEVER pump the gas, they have a excellerator pump and will flood the carb in 1/2 a second. BUY IT its a great bike. Good luck......tobtek
BTW: after you get it, go to DSP RACING on the internet and get every carbonfiber piece you can get to lighten it up....they are a little heavy compaired to the new YZ450F...the 426 on a diet is a better bike in my opion......

TOBTEK
04-23-2003, 11:53 AM
DickDanger:
I dont know about the WR, as that is more of a trail bike, but I do know about the YZF. With the introduction of the YZ450F, Yamaha effectively solved the "hot start" problem, but for the 426, there is a drill that you must follow to a "T". Put the bike in neutral, pull the hot start button (this lets cool air enter the carb), bring the piston up to TDC, hold in the compression lever, keep your hand off of the throttle, and give it a good kick. Get to know this drill well. Practice it until you can do it in your sleep. Yamaha MAY have made an electric starter that you can put on the YZ426, but I dont remember. Hope this helps. -DD Out oops...you beat me to it! yes, I have seen a electric starting kit for these bikes in some of the mag's. KINKA "G-A" to pull up at the track with that staped on though.

DickDanger
04-23-2003, 01:32 PM
DSP is great to deal with. I have gone there several times in the past, and dealt directly with Willie Amaradio, and he is a good guy. I couldnt believe the first time I rode the YZ426 out at Elsinore back to back with my YZ125. Since I was already used to the way Yamahas feel and flex, hopping on the 426 was comfortable. I couldnt believe how much better the back end tracked around that slick track. My only concerns were starting and keeping the gas on up the face of jumps due to the compression braking. The jumps were no problem, although the suspension wasnt set up for me, and was too soft, and the starting? Well, I needed some more practice!!! -DD Out
[ April 23, 2003, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: DickDanger ]

Caribbean Jet
04-23-2003, 01:40 PM
I have been going been trying to decide if I wanted to go with the YZF or the WR. I won't spend alot of time at the track, but I would like to go there sometimes. Most of my riding will be at the desert and trail riding. Thank you for all of the feed back so far.

DickDanger
04-23-2003, 02:22 PM
I would say in all honesty, that both bikes are very well built, BUT, the WR is designed more for the trails, and the YZF is more of a motocrosser. This is not to say that you cant use either or in a different environment, just that there are differences in their powerbands, fuel tank size (I think), gearing, etc. -DD Out
[ April 23, 2003, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: DickDanger ]

DEEZ NUTTS
04-23-2003, 03:19 PM
I had '98 400 and an '01 426 both YZF. Once you get the drill down you can start them without lifting your butt of the seat. I am now ridding a KX 250 and sometimes miss my 426. As far as the WR vs YZF debate I feel that the best trail bike is a motocross bike. The most versitile anyhow.
I have seen many people buy the trail bike(any type) then spend money to make it more like a motocrosser. WTF put a skid plate on the YZ and gear it how you like and your done. Then you are still good for moto. Both my '98 and '01 I geared taller to mellow the nasty for tighter trails.
Go YZF.

beached 1
04-23-2003, 07:26 PM
DEEZ NUTTS:
I have seen many people buy the trail bike(any type) then spend money to make it more like a motocrosser. WTF put a skid plate on the YZ and gear it how you like and your done. Then you are still good for moto. Both my '98 and '01 I geared taller to mellow the nasty for tighter trails.
Go YZF. I have seen many try to take their MX bike accross narrow rocky trails and get flats, run out of gas, oops! got to get home b4 dark. Blah, blah blah. It can go both ways. If ride mostly on a trak, get a YZ, if on trails and hill climbs, get a WR.
I have a 00 WR400F. All stock except for YZ cam timing and a few other things. Just like everyone said so far. Follow the starting rules and you won't ever get stranded.