PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Color???

67weimann
03-12-2006, 09:26 PM
Hey guys, I'm in the process of redoing my interior and want some input on carpet color. What color do you think would look best with my exterior colors. I have narrowed it to two choices...
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c283/Roll_me_over/000_0216.jpg
also, how clean does the hull need to be to glue the new carpet down and what is the best way to do it?
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c283/Roll_me_over/000_0214.jpg

Focker
03-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Blue On The Left Of Pic

77charger
03-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Color i seem to like grey for carpet.(but my opinion)
As for gluing it contact cement has done the trick for me.Make sure the floor is degreased and clean before carpet install

HBjet
03-12-2006, 09:51 PM
What color(s) are you doing the seats? I know for my boat I went with dark charcoal. The seats are a light grey with darker greys and blue. I had blue carpet before, but I think the charcoal is better..
HBjet

El Prosecutor
03-12-2006, 10:19 PM
I think the blue might clash or stick out unless it coordinated perfectly with the color of the boat. Gray is unobtrusive and might also be cooler on bare feet. Therefore I vote gray unless the blue is a perfect match.

TRG
03-12-2006, 10:38 PM
I personaly think you can never go wrong with some sort of grey! regardless what color of the boat!
just some more worthless change!

67weimann
03-12-2006, 10:49 PM
What color(s) are you doing the seats? I know for my boat I went with dark charcoal. The seats are a light grey with darker greys and blue. I had blue carpet before, but I think the charcoal is better..
HBjet
you know, i never thought of that too much. I was thinking doing the seats white with some blue piping and blue stitching. I will most definately do the seats in white to keep them cool on bare skin when the sun is beating down on them.
Do you have some pics of your interior?

kp216
03-12-2006, 11:40 PM
also, how clean does the hull need to be to glue the new carpet down and what is the best way to do it?
I'm not sure if the hull needs to be spotless, but you might want to move that air cleaner and carb before you start laying the carpet. :D

Red Horse
03-13-2006, 02:07 AM
I wouldbnt use contact cement. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get some waterproof or resistant carpet adhesive. Read the back of the label and make sure it is compatable with your carpet backing. Then install. The carpet adhesive is tacky enough to hold on vertical surfaces, but allows enough work time to straighten it out and get it right. BYW, go with the grey.
I also have a Weimann. A 69 model. Damn good little boat!!

SmokinLowriderSS
03-13-2006, 02:49 AM
Recarpeting Lowrider as soon as she is off her back (hull gel).
Bought my red carpet here, adhesive too:
http://www.boatcarpetbuys.com/
The glue:
http://www.boatcarpetbuys.com/boatcarpet-type/325-Marine-Carpet-Adhesive.asp
I'm having to use paint stripper to get all the old contact cement off (circa 1978) and it raises hell with the fibreglass. Resin recoat needed after stripping & washing clean.

SmokinLowriderSS
03-13-2006, 02:51 AM
Oh, I prefer the blue, but every point about the grey is entirely valid. I just like the blue with the bow coloration pic you showed.

GUGS102
03-13-2006, 03:46 PM
I redid the carpet in my sea ray last year. Over 21 yards. Cost a fortune in materials from Phoenix trim. For my jet I go to Lowes and pick up the marine backed carpet, many colors, looks good and to redo it (twice now), I'm only out $40.
Use contact cement and buy a $15 spray gun at harbour freight, works excellent and you have total control of the glue coverage and thickness.
Gugs

Tom Brown
03-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Gray.
3m waterproof contact cement has worked for me. I've done a few and they've turned out perfect but you have to be careful. Once it's stuck... it's stuck.
Get a gallon. You'll need it.
The only problem I've had with the contact cement is one floor that had about a gallon of gasoline spill on it the day after the carpet was glued down. The carpet lifted where the gas soaked in. I had to dry it out and re-glue it but then it was fine. The oldest one is about a dozen years old.
- Tom :)