PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions on insurance?

kphayes
11-21-2002, 02:20 PM
Just bought a '97 25' Daytona with twin 260hp outboards and I am getting raped on insurance.
(with no vasoline I might add) Any suggestions?
The policy is with Markel American. I am paying 5 times more than I am on my other boat. Maybe this is just the price I have to pay to play with the big dogs.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Outboards/Boat43.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Outboards/Boat14.JPG

kab
11-21-2002, 02:26 PM
If your close to 2500 your just about right. I have a DCB mach 22 with twin 2.5 I pay 2200. I used Alliance marine.

HM
11-21-2002, 02:36 PM
I would reccomend calling Gary Cann insurance, except he just left the insurance business. frown

Nubbs
11-22-2002, 07:33 AM
I have progressive. I've also heard of McGraw.

DogHouse
11-22-2002, 08:28 AM
Have you checked with your normal insurance guy that covers your autos, home, etc? My Allstate agent was able to get coverage for my Magic cat for less than half of what you're talking. Are the twin outboards tougher to insure than a single i/o setup? Granted yours is faster but do they know how fast it runs and does that increase the rates? Just curious.
BTW, cool boat!
-brian

kphayes
11-22-2002, 08:56 AM
DogHouse-I tried my reg. ins. guy and he is still looking for me. My folks picked it up for me from Yuma last week so I needed something. I'm guessing that the twins are what's giving me the problems. I tried to stretch the truth about the speed and they came back & told me that it was a 100+ mph boat. "No way", I said. :D I will be out on Pleasant on Thanksgiving Day are you close to there?

DogHouse
11-22-2002, 09:16 AM
Well that sucks. Didn't realize that the insurance guys have figured out how fast these toys really are... Guess that would explain the big premiums. Yet another reason to not add a blower to my rig!
I'm about 20 minutes east of Pleasant. Probably won't be able to make it out on turkey day, too much family stuff (and stuffing!) going on. Good luck with the new ride and let us know how it runs... I promise I won't tell your insurance agent!
-brian

Slick
11-22-2002, 10:18 AM
Pleasent is the perfect lake to stretch the legs on your new beauty. Have fun. You should use the 10-lane ramp on the west side of the Lake. Parking is not as far as the others.

jm2drvr
11-23-2002, 09:23 AM
hey kp, I was along for the ride to deliver your boat in yuma, I was there to sign papers for a mach 26 that I will be getting in a few weeks. My insurance is running 2400 with all the usual coverage. Worldwide is the company out of Florida, and Greg is the guys name. I'm at work so I do not have the number handy. They were the cheapest and believe me I tried everybody! Good Luck!!!

Her454
11-23-2002, 09:29 AM
kphayes:
My folks picked it up for me from Yuma last week so I needed something.Are you from Yuma? Just curious as I grew up there. :D

kphayes
11-24-2002, 07:19 AM
jm2Drvr-Well I don't feel so bad now. My ins. was right under $2100. It is what it is, I guess.
Her454-No, I'm not from Yuma. Grew up in Alpine/El Cajon (SD) then after high school I moved to Pacific Beach.
Thanks to everybody!