PDA

View Full Version : gel coat care

master13
03-23-2003, 09:55 AM
I just got my new boat and I was wondering what everybody did to protect their boat from water spotting and sun damage? I am of course garaging the boat, but do you use any special wax??? Appriciate any help!

bordsmnj
03-23-2003, 10:00 AM
i'd give west marine a call becuase the one in orange has all kinds of wax.but than again so does the local auto part store.
[ March 23, 2003, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: bordsmnj ]

SCUBA STEVE
03-24-2003, 08:58 AM
I use driven marine wax. www.driventoperfection.com (http://www.driventoperfection.com)
I have used it on my car's for years. I just started using it on my boat. (the new one)
This wax does what it says it does, plain & simple.
Also try not to let the water spots bake on in the heat. Use a chamios to wipe down the transom after each stop.
GOOD LUCK

HalletDave
03-24-2003, 09:37 AM
Master13,
You may want to try 3M products Hand Glaze. I use it on the old '77 Hallett. It really makes the original root beer brown metal flake gel shine, plus it lasts a long time. :cool: Over the years, I have found that most wax products will attract dirt, which will eventually make for a dull looking finish.
HavasuBarney, you can jump in on this one any time now. :D
HD

TCHB
03-25-2003, 08:04 PM
A silicone wax will help with water spoting. The water will not beed up and leave the marks.

hd&boatrider
03-25-2003, 08:14 PM
I use wax from West marine and can't remember the name but one of the best things to do is to use a 50/50 water vinegar mix in a spray bottle to spray on and wipe off. It will take all the water spots off. It does eat the wax off but just make sure you keep a normal routine of waxing when necessary. It has done wonders for my boat. My boat is 4 years old and still looks brand new. I know waxing and wiping down your boat will not be a problem as it is new. Turn on some tunes, get some more rays, have a beer and just enjoy it.

Essex502
03-26-2003, 03:08 PM
I use this stuff immediately after pulling the boat out of the water:
Aero Wash Wax
See this (http://www.washwax.com/carcare.html)
Works great! I buy it by the gallon. Doesn't replace a good wax every now and then but keeps the boat looking good between the waxings.