PDA

View Full Version : Squaw Lake, Palo Verde, Senator Wash??

Mandelon
12-29-2002, 12:23 PM
Among my many wonderful X-mas gifts was a book on Camping in California. It had a map and some descriptions of some places on the South end of the River. I've been to Martinez but usually go to Parker, Havasu, or the Avi (with trips to Mohave).
Do any of you guys know much about these places? I've got a slide in camper for the truck so roughing its no big deal. I know Havasu and Parker are going to more happening, but the family likes trying new places too.
These Places are listed...
Squaw Lake
Palo Verde
Picacho
Senator Wash
Destiny Riviera
Destiny McIntyre
Thanks.. boxed

Her454
12-29-2002, 08:39 PM
used to go shooting at picacho (peak ?) in the late 80's....but i dont think its much for camping, and as for senators wash, great place for senior ditch day eek! , but unless its changed alot lately, i wouldnt put it on my list of favorites.....just my 02.

78Eliminator
12-30-2002, 12:15 PM
Mandelon:
Squaw Lake
Palo Verde
Picacho
Senator Wash
Destiny Riviera
Destiny McIntyre
Thanks.. boxed All of these places are south of Paddle Wheel. Most are pretty desolate. Picacho was my first river experience. It's a lake off the river about 20 river miles North of Martinez lake. Not a lot of people up there so if you want to cut the engine and drift or waterski, it's perfect. There are a couple sandbars just North of Picacho on the West side of the river that you can camp over night on (not sure if it's legal, but nobody ever bothered us). Senator's Wash is just south and it's a little dock off the main river. I wouldn't waste my time there. I guess if you need a restroom or want to stretch you legs, it's cool. Squaw lake and Palo Verde are south of Piccacho (correct me if I'm wrong guys). Like Piccacho, they are just lakes off the river and most boats in there a fishing. Sometimes you'll find some early morning wake boarding boats in there too.
Here is what I would do if I were you: Go to Martinez. Top off the tanks and head North. The first fuel stop is Walters camp which is about 20 minutes North of Piccacho (so about 40 minutes North of Martinez). It's a lake off to your left (West) and if you blink, you missed the channel. Just keep heading North and explore. If you get dry, float down and you'll eventually be back at Martinez. Another option is to hook up with someone like Pete (Screaming Pete) who has a lot more recent time in the area. I'm sure he would be happy to caravan up the river and show you the ropes. Hope this helps a little. Man, I can't wait till next summer.....
**Just a disclaimer here: If you don't want a shit load of people and naked girls and river beads and a bunch of ass holes who chuck their spent bottles in the water, all those spots are cool. Less, if any, "party people" up there. Great for the family. Sometimes, I just want to get away from all the shit and be sort of alone on the river. Those spots are perfect for that.
[ December 30, 2002, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: 78Eliminator ]

Mandelon
12-30-2002, 02:42 PM
Now that's the kind of info I was looking for. :p Like you mentioned, 78. some times just to get away from it all is cool.
The kids like the Bluewater just fine, but sometimes they want to fish and goof off. I don't want to worry about them getting run down by some dumbass jetskier who can't tell his ass from a no wake zone.
The sand bar isn't always the right place for the family. I won't take them on big weekends. That doesn't mean I don't try to go with some friends...
That part of the River just seems really low key. Anybody else have any info??
Thanks....

78Eliminator
12-30-2002, 03:05 PM
Mandelon:
Thanks.... No problem! When are you planning to go? Remember, this time of year it is REALLY low on the lower river.....
Are you a jet or propper?
J

Mandelon
12-30-2002, 06:09 PM
I wasn't planning on going till springtime. We usually go to Borrego for four wheeling and winter camping or snowboarding in Mammoth or Big Bear till its warm enough to go back to the river.
I've got a Carrera Jet, an '01 202XR Open Bow. I got from Wes and John at Ultra. They had it as a trade-in.

rude235
12-30-2002, 08:20 PM
78 was very close on most of it. squaw lake is just off of the colorado river. they do have a boat dock/launch, picnic area, and restrooms but no fuel. if you want to go to martinez, you need to launch at a place called fisher's landing (basically just around the corner on the river). they have fuel there. martinez is a pretty small lake just off of the river. even on busy weekends, martinez is usually not very busy. maybe one other boat pulling somebody wakeboarding. if you go up river from fisher's landing about 2-3 miles there is a fork in the river. if you go to the left it will eventually dead end at a place called ferguson lake, excellent skiing there! if you stay to the right at the fork, you can go up river about 70 miles or so. just be careful of sandbars. the safest lanes to drive on believe it or not is going to be pretty close to the shoreline (unless it's changed in the last couple of years). do not put your boat in at senator's wash. it's basically a pond that is not connected to the river. it's small enough that one or two boats and a jet ski make it feel cramped! there are usually quite a few jet skis/pwc there because you can back your truck up to the water line and dump your jet ski out the back. hope this helps.

Shmoolie
01-02-2003, 09:58 AM
Squaw lake is downriver from martinez/fishers. The whole lake is no wake, so if you camp there you have to cross the lake at low speed to get to the main river.
Senators wash is on the other side of the earth dam at the back of squaw lake. It's a true lake in the sense that there is no water access to the river. They pump water between squaw lake and senators wash through some large pipes through the dam. It's usually overrun with lake lice.
You can also camp at Furgeson lake just upriver from martinez/fishers. It's free, no bathrooms, and it's pretty hard to get a spot there unless you get there early.
Picacho is upriver from martinez/fishers. There is a main campground by the ramp and a couple of more isolated camp sites upriver from the ramp (4S Ranch and "the Point"). It's a decent place to camp. It's worth a try to see if you like it. The dirt road to the main camp area/ramp is usually pretty good. The road from there to the other sites is a bit rough. If your truck is 4WD you won't have a problem but you will want to launch the boat at the main site ramp and run it upriver to the other sites. You can leave your trailer at the main site for a small additional fee. The sites are first come/first serve so if they are already taken you have to go back down to the main camp area. I haven't camped there for a couple of years so this info may be a bit outdated.