PDA

View Full Version : Whos gonna be the fastest / Heatwave !!!

carbonmarine
09-30-2003, 10:46 AM
I heard that therw will be some heavy equipement showing up..... Whos gonna be the fastest & dont give me this shit that " Its not a race "...
** we all know that already.....
Rick32 :cool: :cool:
[ September 30, 2003, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: carbonmarine ]

Havasu Cig
09-30-2003, 11:03 AM
I say Predator. There should be some more boats that give him a run, but my money is still on him. I heard he has some new power. :cool:

Mr.Havasu
09-30-2003, 11:30 AM
Me! eek! eek! eek! eek!
Of course I'll need about a 45 min head start! :D

JC
09-30-2003, 11:52 AM
The morning run to the first stop, my pic's 1) B'yond Reason 2) Lickity Split and 3) Predator (this should fire Gary up).

roln 20s
09-30-2003, 11:58 AM
I'm gonna go with Predator- not too familiar with the others. Whats Bob Teague driving? That has to be another boat that will be near the front!
I'm gonna be between Havasu and The damn- so I will get a close view as they blow by at 150+- hehe!
Roln 20s

hd&boatrider
09-30-2003, 12:18 PM
What about that Anaconda boat?

unleashed
09-30-2003, 12:58 PM
Bob Teague will not be there from what I hear. Should be an interesting run. I think Predator will still be tops but who knows theres supposed to be some real competition this year.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) devil

Steamin' Rice
09-30-2003, 01:00 PM
hd&boatrider:
What about that Anaconda boat? Do you mean the Motion cat with quad outboards? If I remember correctly, that boat flipped a while ago...
I think Predator will still be #1..... :D

Rivertoys
09-30-2003, 01:17 PM
I thought some 200mph Turbine powered Skater was signed up.?.
RTJas :D

Havasu Cig
09-30-2003, 01:18 PM
Anaconda is a 32 Skater that Savage Marine built. It was the bad boy in havasu for a while, but not top dog anymore. I think it ran in the 140's.

DogHouse
09-30-2003, 01:23 PM
I'm gonna have to go with the Gary & Larry show. Just chatted with Larry about some motor stuff and also asked how the boat's running. Predator has fresh motors and is ready to rock... eek!
Of course if they ever do actually get outrun, you can bet that there will be "changes" in the works for next time!
:D
ps: But it's not a race. wink
[ September 30, 2003, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: DogHouse ]

Craig
09-30-2003, 01:35 PM
Yeah Brian, I spoke with him yesterday as well about my drive and asked the same question! :D He said, "They really didn't change anything, just some prop tuning." He said, "They could go faster, but they have the reliablity to run hard the whole way all day!"
Craig

DogHouse
09-30-2003, 01:49 PM
Last time I saw the boat at the shop, I made some comment like "you know, you guys really should put some decent hardware in a boat like this"... He thought that was pretty funny considering all the $$$ bling bling under that hatch. :D

Chris Winn
09-30-2003, 03:59 PM
i heard that Tbob was coming with a new DCB 29 with some 1000+ motors under the hatch. if this is the case, he could run 140-50 or so easily.

skater40
09-30-2003, 09:03 PM
This will be the toughest competition that PREDATOR has ever faced.Three of the fastest boats in Texas-all at 150 plus along with Mike Defreezes DCB and Al and Dave Burns skaters should make for a exciting morning run to the 3 card stops.Remember,it's not how fast you are thats important,it's who finishes first. wink

C-2
09-30-2003, 10:41 PM
Like I've said before...
Hey, you're only going 100 mph faster than me!
Geesh, :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
My money is still on Gary, followed by Mike/DCB
Leaving in about 9 hours for the fun.

Charley
10-01-2003, 12:22 AM
mmmmmmmm hmmmmmmm hmmmmmmmm Predator would be a good bet but Iv'e always rooted for the under dog...plus i gotta fly the DCB colors wink I gotta go with Mikes 34 ... if he's runnin good there is an aweful lotta power in that boat.. if he can keep it runnin hes got a good shot.

XTRM22
10-01-2003, 06:16 AM
Charley:
mmmmmmmm hmmmmmmm hmmmmmmmm Predator would be a good bet but Iv'e always rooted for the under dog...plus i gotta fly the DCB colors wink I gotta go with Mikes 34 ... if he's runnin good there is an aweful lotta power in that boat.. if he can keep it runnin hes got a good shot. This is a tough call, I gotta agree w/ Charley on flyin my DCB colors, but Predator is the hometown favorite, Hmmm I could live w/ Predator finishing first and Defreeze a close second. I'll be down past SteamBoat wearing my DCB hat, and Larry's Engine and Marine T-shirt! gotta cover my bases :D
Chuck
[ October 01, 2003, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: XTRM22 ]

Havasu Cig
10-01-2003, 06:35 AM
I still say Predator, but if not it will still be a Skater. wink

hd&boatrider
10-01-2003, 07:17 AM
Steamin' Rice:
hd&boatrider:
What about that Anaconda boat? Do you mean the Motion cat with quad outboards? If I remember correctly, that boat flipped a while ago...
I think Predator will still be #1..... :D I don't know but when I dropped off my boat for service at Savage last week Anaconda was there and did not look like it had flipped. It is a pretty bad-ass looking boat though....

Tom Slick
10-01-2003, 09:01 AM
Like Havasu Cig said earlier, Anaconda is a 32' Skater with blower motors. I seriously doubt that you will see that boat on the water this weekend. The cat that has the 4 outboards is a 35' Motion. This boat barrel rolled at Lake Pleasant last year and has not been seen since.
As for my pick for this weekend, I would have to go with Gary Smith in Predator. Although there will be some serious hardware out there, Gary seems to have a pretty good handle on the Havasu events.

hd&boatrider
10-01-2003, 09:38 AM
Tom Slick:
Like Havasu Cig said earlier, Anaconda is a 32' Skater with blower motors. I seriously doubt that you will see that boat on the water this weekend. The cat that has the 4 outboards is a 35' Motion. This boat barrel rolled at Lake Pleasant last year and has not been seen since.
As for my pick for this weekend, I would have to go with Gary Smith in Predator. Although there will be some serious hardware out there, Gary seems to have a pretty good handle on the Havasu events. Just got off the phone with Kelly at Savage. Anaconda "may" be running this weekend. She told me 156 was the top end and thinks Predator is definetly the one to beat. She also mentioned their will be a DCB 34 out there they have worked on. Anyhow, my boat will be ready at 3P on Friday and I am anxious to see all these massive engines running full throtle.

DogHouse
10-01-2003, 09:42 AM
I could tell y'all what Gary's motors dyno'd at but then I'd have to kill ya.
:D

565edge
10-01-2003, 10:11 AM
Hbjet by a long shot!

Windy
10-01-2003, 10:42 AM
RiverDave:
You will literally ruin any good thread just to try and take a shot @ HBjet.
Seriously

Steamin' Rice
10-01-2003, 10:47 AM
Havasu Cig:
Anaconda is a 32 Skater that Savage Marine built. It was the bad boy in havasu for a while, but not top dog anymore. I think it ran in the 140's. Thanks for the correction.....I had forgotten about the bad ass Skater..

Goodtime$
10-01-2003, 11:03 AM
Does anyone know what time the poker run starts, and what would be the best spot to watch it from if you were driving up to see it?
thanks for the help, Did Roger Bourget get a new MTI, or is he using one of 3 boats he has,had. I think he sold the 46 skater.

Slick
10-01-2003, 11:11 AM
Anyone got pics of these big guns?

jackpunx
10-01-2003, 11:17 AM
Goodtime$:
Does anyone know what time the poker run starts, and what would be the best spot to watch it from if you were driving up to see it?
thanks for the help, Did Roger Bourget get a new MTI, or is he using one of 3 boats he has,had. I think he sold the 46 skater. About 10 am is when the first group will take off

Mr.Havasu
10-01-2003, 12:06 PM
Slick:
Anyone got pics of these big guns? I'll Post them Monday! wink

roln 20s
10-01-2003, 12:33 PM
thanks for the help, Did Roger Bourget get a new MTI, or is he using one of 3 boats he has,had. I think he sold the 46 skater. Bourgett did get a new MTI- as far as I know he sold all of his other boats, including but not limited to a 38 Awesome, 46 Skater, and 32 Skater. I've heard this thing runs 150 with no problem. I think his new one is the 42 MTI, but not sure. Either way, its gonna be fun.
Roln 20s

Goodtime$
10-01-2003, 12:40 PM
Thank ROLN DUBZZZZ, im cruising up in my car from parker, what area on saturday would be the best place to park and check out the poker run? 9am right?
MTIs= oh my sickkky

Mr.Havasu
10-01-2003, 12:45 PM
If your on land, propably the closest your going to get is cat tail cove. We watched it from there 2 years ago. Bring binoculars the big boys go by about 10:10 - 10:20 am.
[ October 01, 2003, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: warlock25 ]

C-Ya
10-01-2003, 05:50 PM
Just out of curiosity what is the definition of winner?
There are several ways to determine "The Winner" even though I know we are all talking about the drag race here.
There have many fast boats that went no further than the first card station __________ (enter your own broken boat story here). So does that make them the winner if they win the drag race instead of the endurance race.
Also, since I have been handing out cards at almost every one of these Poker Runs since they started in 1999, I have seen another anomaly that makes it hard to determine who got there first. example: several years ago "sorcerer" (approx 46 Skater?) past our card station (north station) at about 120mph to 140mph and we didn't see him again for 10 minutes. 5 other boats got their cards and were out of there before he came back. Did he WIN or LOOSE?
Anyways, just a few questions to ponder!
I guess I will elect myself the "Official Scorekeeper" since I will be handing out cards at Station #1, but where is the "Official Finish Line" since we basically set up at the start of the "No Wake Zone". It makes it hard to call a close race, but when was the last time we saw that!
Predator (Gary Smith) is the favorite because it would be difficult to call the un-official winner of the last umpteen poker runs anything else! But, I do hope that, not just one, but several give him a run for it, so the rest of us will something exciting to WATCH!!!!!!
C-Ya

slowinhavasu
10-01-2003, 06:11 PM
winner = the one who outran the rest of the pack....the one who had no one in front of him, as he went past the first card stop....

Tom Slick
10-01-2003, 06:56 PM
I agree with slowinhavasu. I feel the winner, or baddest dude running is the guy that is just flat out running the pack. The guy that gets to the first card stop and holds up the #1 card. It has been pretty easy to tell the last 2 years who the man was. Gary Smith would pull into stop #1 without another boat in sight. I would assume that he was first at all of the stops.
I know that there will be some boats there this year that should be able give Gary a run, so it would me nice to see some of these guys step up at the start and give him a race, like a few years ago when Paul Tracy, Chris Kellogg and a couple others ran hard to the first stop. Either way it should be a great show.

STVBOY
10-01-2003, 08:06 PM
I thought that there was a 33ft daytona with twin turbines and Goes by "Flash Gordan" that was the man to beat.

Craig
10-02-2003, 03:32 AM
Gordon Mineo was there but from what I heard, never got the boat running right and wasn't a threat to Predator :)

burtandnancy
10-02-2003, 12:37 PM
HOW ABOUT THE V's? Everyone has handicapped the Skaters, but who'll be the first V down river? I'll go with the IMCO Hallett this year driven by Freddy jr. If he decides to start with the pack instead of waiting for lunch, he should be be 1st V and in the top ten. Bucks Up not far behind...

burtandnancy
10-04-2003, 10:15 AM
Shouldn't someone have said something by now, mid=Saturday...

hd&boatrider
10-05-2003, 08:51 AM
I was down a little south of the Palms and Predator was in the lead down and back. There were a ccouple of boats trying their best to keep up but I don't know if they could. Maybe Predator was just keeping em close :) . It was awesome to see. A boat called 24/7 (a huge Baja) broke down right in front of us. I saw the guy later in the channel. Nice guy who owns a limo business in Vegas. He said a belt came off but it is fine now. That boat looked massive turning around in the channel. I have lots of pics of boats that were going thru the channel and also on the lake but I won't know how they came out for a few days. I missed the front runners going down lake because they came up so fast and I wasn't ready :(. Anyhow....

32skater
10-05-2003, 12:26 PM
Actually, Predator did not even run. They blew an engine the day before the run. Byond reason had some electrical problems and did not run the first leg. Dan Zwisler, running a 36' Skater, kicked major butt on the first leg. The second leg was dominated by Byond reason, z 32' Skater, running a strong 160+ backed by an onboatd GPS.

skater40
10-05-2003, 04:17 PM
Predator lost a freeze plug on thursday afternoon and the motor siezed up before it could come to a stop.Dan Zwislers 36 skater took off before the flag was dropped and left the rest of the fleet scratching there heads.The drivers meeting specically stated that all boats were to stay back till havasu palm and he left right at the thompson bay start as shown on the video at dinner.Its a beautiful boat but at 141 mph-Predator will be back.This was a perfect example of a .10 part ruining a good weekend.It wasn't a good weekend for all of the top contenders because 5 didn't start the morning run including Beyond Reason 32 skater and 2 had major engine problems during the run.Oh well-watch out spring heatwave(april 24,2004).

hd&boatrider
10-05-2003, 05:49 PM
32skater:
Actually, Predator did not even run. They blew an engine the day before the run. Byond reason had some electrical problems and did not run the first leg. Dan Zwisler, running a 36' Skater, kicked major butt on the first leg. The second leg was dominated by Byond reason, z 32' Skater, running a strong 160+ backed by an onboatd GPS. Thanks for clarifing that for me...Sorry about the incorrect info. I did take pics of the boats over at Nautical prior to the race and Predator was one of them. While on the water (south of Palms) I did not see the boats close enough as they went by (bad eyes) because we were just a little to far away. I heard someone say there goes Predator so I assumed it was them.

C-2
10-05-2003, 06:57 PM
Gary is being a little modest here….we were with him when the freeze plug let go, and just before that he hit 155 with plenty left to go. Verified by GPS and my photo, check it out:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-1/7704/speedo1.jpg
The Zwisler boat did in fact jump the gun in an unfair manner. Even though he took off on his own, other big dogs continued to stay behind the pace boat; but when they started losing sight of Zwisler they all said screw it and were up to speed by Copper Canyon (the plan and permission from city/state officials was to not release the boats until Pilot Rock). Jumping the gun spread the group out all over the place, making the start very uneventful as far as the excitement factor goes.
Several of the faster boats voiced their unhappiness with Zwisler…and the police department, Mohave County Sheriff and Coast Guard are also pretty pissed, we’ll have to see what happens. It sucks that the actions of a few people might blow it for everybody else.
We also documented several boats that jumped in on the run, again making it unfair for those people who abide by the rules. More on that later, you fockers know who you are.
The afternoon start was more representative of the bad-ass machinery that was there. The 32' Dereberry Skater was moving really well – a lot faster than anything in the morning start. He ended with a 164 verified GPS reading. The Out of Control Skater was first back, followed by Roger Bourget in his MTI.
I think Gary would have been the fastest boat again, the Dereberry Skater seemed really loose.
I’ll put up a more detailed summary when I verify other info.
[ October 05, 2003, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: C-2 ]

skater40
10-05-2003, 07:52 PM
The first "legitamate" boat to the first card stop if you count out Zwisler, WAS Dave Burns in WILDCAT followed by his father Big AL in OUT OF CONTROL.As C-2 said Al Burns was the first back in the afternoon segment.

bohica
10-06-2003, 10:26 AM
I was out in front of Black Meadows landing waiting for the big boys to come ripping down the lake. The boat that was running second at that point had a problem and started to idle back. Took a long while before any V's ran by. I think it was two fountains that were the first V's.
I was heading down the lake in front of Copper Canyon when the Out Of Control Skater came flying by. Awesome to see the rooster tail those big Skaters shoot.

hot_diggity_dog
10-06-2003, 12:19 PM
The first "legitamate" boat to the first card stop if you count out Zwisler, WAS Dave Burns in WILDCAT followed by his father Big AL in OUT OF CONTROL.As C-2 said Al Burns was the first back in the afternoon segment.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/511/55Mvc-088s-med.jpg
HDD :cool: