PDA

View Full Version : Bad day at Pleasant

Craig
11-03-2002, 04:35 PM
Well, trying out the new Hydromotive, and naturally it's windy as hell out. Don't want to trim up too much at upper speeds. Running a click over 98 and the motor zings eek! Pulled it back, thought I lost a coupler. Get back to the ramp, prop turns, driveshaft in the boat doesn't (in gear)But there's no tell tale clunking like broken gears. Pulled the top cap off at home, gears are fine. Turn the prop the vertical shaft turns but the gears don't :confused: Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be something simple. Any clues? On the other hand, Donnie was happy with his newly repaired Gibbs prop. Running 105+ without max trim. At least he could tow me in :D
Craig
[ November 03, 2002, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Craig ]

roln 20s
11-03-2002, 04:59 PM
Sorry to hear about that Craig. Hope it is something small, but either way I am sure that Tony owes you some boat help. Call him over-give him a wrench and beer. Keep us up to date!
Roln 20s

Donnie
11-03-2002, 08:28 PM
Well at least the top end of the drive was not full of broken gears,hopefully it will be something simple :)
On the good side of things my boat ran the best it ever has at Pleasant...105.4 mph up from 104 flat last year. :D
Gibbs did an amazing job repairing the prop that Janice tried to puree rocks with. eek!
[ November 03, 2002, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Donnie ]

pleasantcat
11-03-2002, 09:14 PM
hey guys! sorry i've been scarce. busy at work with inventory and house re-mods. real sorry to hear about your drive comin' apart. think its the vertical shaft?? let me know if you want some help working on it.. s

blown23vee
11-03-2002, 09:25 PM
Gee, Pleasant windy?? I can't imagine!! (there's
something new & different)
Sorry to hear about the mystery shit...hope
something simple!! Let me know if I can help!!!
Rick

carreraelite
11-04-2002, 07:41 AM
Mine was like that when I broke the yoke shaft. Motor ran great, just no forward motion!!
[ November 04, 2002, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: carreraelite ]

Craig
11-04-2002, 08:01 AM
What did it cost you to fix?

carreraelite
11-04-2002, 08:24 AM
I bought the shaft from Don, and had Dry Dock do the replacement. I took the drive off of the boat and took it to him,as i remember it was about $200 total. Mine is an alpha drive though,probably a little more for the bigger drives.

Craig
11-04-2002, 10:33 AM
We'll see, just dropped the drive off to Randy at Performance Marine. Man, I'd love to recover from this for less than 500 bucks :( Think I'll go ahead and get some MSD rev-limiter chips for6000-7000 r's. I only had a 5700, and that certainly won't do!!! That prop had some killer mid range, just needed some water I could safely trim her up in to get her on the transom :)
Craig

blown23vee
11-04-2002, 08:12 PM
Hey! Where's my 115+ taxi ride?? When you get the thing back together I want shotgun for the prop test!!
R

kphayes
11-05-2002, 06:25 AM
Hey Craig and/or Donnie- Do you guys know Carter and Suzie Williams? They have a Gray and Purple 22' Sport Cat and live in Peoria and go to Pleasant quite often. (they live about 10 min. from there)

Craig
11-05-2002, 11:16 AM
Yeah, I've talked with Carter several times at the lake :D Nice looking boat!
Craig

kphayes
11-05-2002, 11:38 AM
That's my step-dad and mom. In fact my wife and I are going out there over Thanksgiving to pickup a new boat for us. We bought a '97 25' Daytona (from DCB) and we are going to run it on Thanksgiving day at Pleasant. I hope the weather is nice and not too windy. Sorry to hear about your motor, hope its something simple. Carter says you have a beautiful and fast boat.
[ November 05, 2002, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: kphayes ]

Craig
11-05-2002, 01:50 PM
Well, if I get it fixed here shortly, we were planning on making a trip over to Saquaro the day after Thanksgiving. Run around and then have lunch at the restaraunt, you're welcome to join us if you want to go to Saquaro. We're on the west side of town close to Pleasant, but the lakes real low now and there's no real restaraunt.
CRaig

roln 20s
11-05-2002, 03:50 PM
kphayes-
Did you buy the blue and yellow 25 with the twin outboards? That is one of the sickest 25's I'm seen. I boat at pleasant often, can't wait to see it. Congrats on the boat- enjoy!
Craig-
Hope you get that drive fixed soon..I want a 115MPH taxi ride too if your handing them out :)
Have a good one
Roln 20s

Craig
11-05-2002, 04:47 PM
Still no word back from the shop. More people I talk to the more I expect them to tell me I blew the floor out of the upper gear :( Might look at converting over to XR gears if that's the case. Checked on some other drives eek! IMCO SC about $8000, Complete Max Machine - $7600. Lot of money for a 22' boat!!!
Craig

carreraboat
11-05-2002, 05:00 PM
go with max machine the best out there

Craig
11-06-2002, 04:02 AM
Actually I really think if I was going to spend 7-8 grand, I'd have to seriously consider the IMCO because it comes with a bigger upper case to support the shaft and gears. vs. the stock Bravo. A lot of the shops I've talked to the last two days say the weak upper case is the start of most of the problems. Max does have a good rep, no denying that. Hopefully it won't come to a whole new drive :mad:
Craig
[ November 06, 2002, 04:03 AM: Message edited by: Craig ]

Charley
11-06-2002, 08:27 AM
Craig:
What did it cost you to fix?I'm sorry to hear about your drive craig :confused: hopefully it all works out... It reminds me of my old boat because that is why it was at DCB in the first place, I had just lost my XR drive with a little over 100 hrs on it ....Lock yer boat up at the repair shop! will it be ready for the Parade? :D
[ November 06, 2002, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: Charley ]

DogHouse
11-06-2002, 08:47 AM
Craig, sorry to hear of the troubles... Last time I was at Larry's he had a brand new IMCO sitting there all ready to go. It was even on sale, hint, hint...
-brian

kphayes
11-06-2002, 09:55 AM
Craig-Thanks for the offer, I will have to see what I can do. I'd like to run it as much as I can while I'm out there because after Sunday it will sit until late spring. (IL Sucks!)
roln-that's the one. I can't wait to run it, they told me it will do 102 forsure and it may see 104, we'll see. Like I said before, we will be out on Thanksgiving morning so if you see it stop and say hey.

Craig
11-06-2002, 10:32 AM
Well, damage report is in. The forward gear broke cleanly right at the reinforcing weld. WTF :confused: The shop that took it apart called Merc in Stillwater, and they said the weld itself typically causes the problem. When you take the gear from Merc, it's already been heat treated. Then you weld it and have to heat treat it again, which starts to weaken the whole deal. They recommend converting to the XR gears or at a minimum, the XZ. XZ isn't straight cut, but doesn't require the change out of the lower gears to maintain 1.36. So I might just wait until after the holidays to dump more money into and decide which direction to go.
Craig

roln 20s
11-06-2002, 10:40 AM
Craig-
Sorry to hear that- thats no good. Well over the holidays if you still want to hit the lake, let me know and we'll take the Malibu! Its a solid 45MPH Taxi- HEHE :)
Roln 20s
We can race Donnie...off the line that is!

DogHouse
11-06-2002, 11:40 AM
Well that's a bummer Craig. Sounds expensive. If I can get my bucket o' bolts back together in time I'll come out and blast around with you guys.
-brian

B-rad502
11-06-2002, 05:01 PM
That sucks :( Don't you have a drive from Billet?? If so, what did he say, or did you call him?? Good luck with everything, I'll buy you a beer Saturday night! wink

pleasantcat
11-07-2002, 11:32 AM
big bummer craig. let me know when and where and we can take my old pig out for a spin. that is if you can handle speeds under the century mark :D i'm trying to put tires on the trailer today so it'll be water ready.

pleasantcat
11-07-2002, 11:43 AM
oh and question??? how did i go from four stars back to three????? just wondering. s

Craig
11-07-2002, 12:07 PM
Pleasantcat, thanks for the offer :D I'm checking prices, man what a span! I want to convert to XR gears. Best price I've found from a reputable shop is about 4 grand. I also found a new XR upper at BAM for $4400, but then you still need the gimble bearing, which is different, change the lower gears to get back to 1.36. Don't know if anything else needs to be changed such as the vertical shaft on the lower.
Craig
PS, someone must have given you a lower rating so your star average dropped. Maybe a certain Sleek owner :D
[ November 07, 2002, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Craig ]

pleasantcat
11-07-2002, 01:07 PM
did you try teague? i know he has that platnum setup for a reasonable price.
how can he adjust my rating? i thought only administrators could vote on that stuff... no biggie :D sean

DUCKY
11-07-2002, 02:46 PM
Shot you a fiver just for being from the Valley! Tried to raise your average.....

roln 20s
11-07-2002, 05:22 PM
Pleasantcat-
I gave ya 5 too- cause your from PHX, my hometown. The average will come up, no need to fear. Speaking of that- how the hell do I only have 4 stars. Oh well- have a good one guys.
Roln 20s

blown23vee
11-07-2002, 06:44 PM
No, Pleasantcat, even though you continually feed
me rations of sh*t, your lower rating wasn't me...
thanks, Craig!! (truth be known I have no clue how
to adjust that sh*t)
later, V

roln 20s
11-08-2002, 02:08 PM
Hey Craig-
I saw that you posted something in another post on fiberglassing. You mentioned you fixed the floor on your boat. We have a dip in our floor next to the engine cover (probably due to the phat sacks for boarding) but still- do you think this is easy to fix? Its a round dip- diameter maybe 1 foot, beneath the carpet. Pull up the carpet and then redo the floor? Make sense- how long do you think this could take? I will talk to my dad cuz I know he wanted to fix this sometime this winter. Thanks man!
Roln 20s

pleasantcat
11-09-2002, 01:54 PM
thanks guys! i didnt blame you vee. and yes i do feed you some crap ( mostly in person ) :D i just realized something..... if i posted this in korean you'ld understand a lot better :D j/k so when are you puting that big bad blown 3.0 liter hyundai big block in the sleek??? now that you've become a tuner guy...

Craig
11-09-2002, 01:58 PM
Rick, exactly what in the HELL is he babbling about? :D

pleasantcat
11-09-2002, 02:03 PM
craig, he doesn't work for dodge anymore. he's now the hyundai service director. big promotion and doing a great job but dont tell him i said so. he would think there was some thing wrong with me if i didnt give him s**t. :)
any new news on the drive situation?