PDA

View Full Version : Any 99 or 2001 Cobra owners here?

dmontzsta
03-13-2006, 08:20 AM
check in please. :)

havaduner
03-13-2006, 08:35 AM
Ae you talking about boats? Cobra Performance boats didnt exsist as Cobra in 99...

dmontzsta
03-13-2006, 01:11 PM
No, sorry. Ford Mustang Cobra.
I just wanted to know how the owners like them. :)

Cole Trickle
03-13-2006, 01:31 PM
If you want my honest opinion as someone that has driven just about everything on the market.
99 and 01 Cobras were overrated and as you know the 99's had lots of problems. Also the cost to insure one of them is flat out BAD!!There are much better performance cars for the dollar.
You already know this but the 03-04 Cobras were bar none the best bang for the buck performance wise.With some bolt-ons,pulley swap and a new tune they flat out hauled the mail. (I have never liked the seating postion,handling or shifter location of the 99+ Mustangs but I really considered one of these in late 03)---Insurance is still VERY BAD!!
If you have your heart set on the 99/01 Cobra I would urgue you to drive a 03-04 Mach 1. I really liked the Mach 1 for the price and the 03-04 4 valve motor felt much stronger than the previous years,Not to mention the IRS in the Cobra is a serious weak link if your throwing any kind of power at it.(Mach 1 has solid rear axlel)
Did you buy one or are you considering one? :)

Todd969
03-13-2006, 01:59 PM
If you want my honest opinion as someone that has driven just about everything on the market.
99 and 01 Cobras were overrated and as you know the 99's had lots of problems. Also the cost to insure one of them is flat out BAD!!There are much better performance cars for the dollar.
You already know this but the 03-04 Cobras were bar none the best bang for the buck performance wise.With some bolt-ons,pulley swap and a new tune they flat out hauled the mail. (I have never liked the seating postion,handling or shifter location of the 99+ Mustangs but I really considered one of these in late 03)---Insurance is still VERY BAD!!
If you have your heart set on the 99/01 Cobra I would urgue you to drive a 03-04 Mach 1. I really liked the Mach 1 for the price and the 03-04 4 valve motor felt much stronger than the previous years,Not to mention the IRS in the Cobra is a serious weak link if your throwing any kind of power at it.(Mach 1 has solid rear axlel)
Did you buy one or are you considering one? :)
Totally agree here having owned a 01 and 04. If you really want one, go 03/04 Cobra or non SC Mach. I personally never had any issues with my IRS, but I did have a complete Kenny Brown under carriage set up. If SC isn't for you, go with the MACH, solid axel and still plenty of tweaks that can be done to make it go.

dmontzsta
03-13-2006, 05:10 PM
The 03/04 is a nice piece, but they are still priced high. I would go for a new GT over one, but they are both a little more than I want to spend right now. Anyone know what a Mach 1 is going for?
I was told by a few people that insurance is around $100 a month for full coverage. What did you pay Todd?
From what I am told the 99 Cobra only had one problem, that was recalled. That was the "fix" it was rated at 320hp and had more like 305hp. There is an 800 # you can call to find out if the car was fixed, by entering in the vin. Other than that, I have not heard of any other problems.
I have been told of the weak IRS, I do not drag race, I want an all around street car, so the IRS should work fine. Plus, I have heard of people beefing them up nicely. There are still mixed reviews on the Stang forums, regarding Live axles vs. IRS.
Are there any other problems with them? besides the power problem. I am used to low 200hp cars, so I am taking an easy 100hp jump with potential to increase it much, much more.
I am just browsing right now... :)

Biglue
03-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Finally saw the light about Maximas huh? :crossx:

Todd969
03-14-2006, 07:00 AM
The 03/04 is a nice piece, but they are still priced high. I would go for a new GT over one, but they are both a little more than I want to spend right now. Anyone know what a Mach 1 is going for?
I was told by a few people that insurance is around $100 a month for full coverage. What did you pay Todd?
From what I am told the 99 Cobra only had one problem, that was recalled. That was the "fix" it was rated at 320hp and had more like 305hp. There is an 800 # you can call to find out if the car was fixed, by entering in the vin. Other than that, I have not heard of any other problems.
I have been told of the weak IRS, I do not drag race, I want an all around street car, so the IRS should work fine. Plus, I have heard of people beefing them up nicely. There are still mixed reviews on the Stang forums, regarding Live axles vs. IRS.
Are there any other problems with them? besides the power problem. I am used to low 200hp cars, so I am taking an easy 100hp jump with potential to increase it much, much more.
I am just browsing right now... :)
In fairness, 20yrs of driving no tickets full coverage on the 04 was approx $500 every six months. We also have 4 other cars on the policy. Yes the 04 is pricey, I bought mine in July of 04 and sold it in Sept 05 with 7800 miles for exactly $2000.00 less than I paid for it OTD. Of course it was the 2nd to last car made ( silver coupe ) according to the SVT cert and that helped the value. There's a link somewhere around here when I posted some pics and detailed out the cars improvements. If you just want a toy stick with a Mach or Bullet.

dmontzsta
03-14-2006, 07:14 AM
Finally saw the light about Maximas huh? :crossx:
Dont believe everything you read. ;)
Todd, thanks. I am still leaning towards the 99 Cobra though. The IRS is appealing since I like to hit corners on the street, I am not a huge drag racer. 320hp stock seems pretty good, with a blower I could be right up with the 03/04 Cobras. The 99s are going for around $12-14k the Machs and Bullets are up in the $22k-24k. I would love to get an 03/04 and call it a day, but I am balancing too many projects as it is. The insurance seems VERY cheap, that is a good thing.:) Thanks.
Why did you sell your Cobra?

Cole Trickle
03-14-2006, 08:33 AM
Todd, thanks. I am still leaning towards the 99 Cobra though. The IRS is appealing since I like to hit corners on the street, I am not a huge drag racer. 320hp stock seems pretty good, with a blower I could be right up with the 03/04 Cobras. The 99s are going for around $12-14k the Machs and Bullets are up in the $22k-24k. I would love to get an 03/04 and call it a day, but I am balancing too many projects as it is. The insurance seems VERY cheap, that is a good thing.:) Thanks.
Call your agent and see what the Cobra cost you before you listen to your friends or expect to pay the same as someone with 4 cars a perfect record and 20 years driving experience.
When I was shopping Cobras most companies in So Cal wanted a 1K deductible and the price was close to $1100 every 6 months.(I was orn in 76 and have a perfect record and almost every discount in the book)
I think you would enjoy the Mach alot more and I would do some shopping as that price seems high?(I almost bought a new 03 yellow Mach for 22K with rebates a couple years back)
I dynoed 2 Machs that made over 300rwhp with just Exhaust.Most 99 Cobras seemed to make closer to 280rwhp with Exhaust.(The 01's were a little stronger)
Don't wast your money on the bullit they are as slow as a GT.
Also my advise is if you go with the 99 leave the super charger off it!! They make good power but always fail down the road and a 4V Cobra motor is not cheap to replace.
I will see if I can find you some links to some Machs that are priced a little better.....

Todd969
03-14-2006, 08:52 AM
It was a short term fix. I thought I missed my 01, but quickly realized I wasn't (18) anymore, it was nice, but just not comfortable. Right now I am focused on my 66 Galaxie 428 CJ that better suits my fat ass.
In response to the insurance issue. I do believe Brandon is correct. We have several policies with Mercury including 5 cars, boat,house, etc.... So the multi policy discount helps.

dmontzsta
03-14-2006, 09:35 AM
I will have to call and check it out. I have 5 cars and 2 boats on the policy now.

Cole Trickle
03-14-2006, 09:50 AM
Here is one...
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?rdpage=thumb&car_id=198196305&dealer_id=57602925&car_year=2003&search_type=both&make=FORD&transmission=&sponsorModel=&distance=100&model=MUST&address=92780&make2=sel_one&advanced=y&certified=&max_mileage=&max_price=24000&bkms=1142358368596&min_price=1&first_record=76&end_year=2004&color=&start_year=2003&drive=&isp=y&pager.offset=75&engine=8+Cylinder&doors=&fuel=&lang=en&cardist=28