PDA

View Full Version : Head-on collision on 95 south of Havasu

uvindex
04-26-2003, 12:06 AM
On our way into Havasu tonight from Orange County, we saw the aftermath of a very bad head-on collision on 95, between Cottonwood Cove and Havasu. It appeared to be a red F250 and a ?. The bad thing was that the two vehicles hit directly head-on (not offset, which is bad enough.) It was a very bad wreck, and I hope nobody was killed but it didn't look good. I'm sure the story will be in the Havasu paper soon -- my thoughts are with the occupants of the vehicles.
Seeing this kind of thing always reminds me that a weekend of fun can turn into tragedy in the blink of an eye.

missboatnam1
04-26-2003, 12:33 AM
i hate hearing this stuff...my prayers go out to them,,,,,,,that could be me or you at any moment...enjoy life......NOW...thanks for the info... :( frown
[ April 26, 2003, 01:34 AM: Message edited by: missboatnam1 ]

Beautiful Noise
04-26-2003, 11:53 AM
:( :( :( :( I HATE hearing thing's like that, My Prayer's go out to the Family's Hopefully everybody was OK.
Steve

mbrown2
04-26-2003, 03:46 PM
I hope all involved make it through alright. Where did it happen? South of Havasu? or North? Cottonwood is north on Mojave...

01RENEGADE
04-26-2003, 05:14 PM
Hate to hear things like that and hope that everyone involved are ok

Boatcop
04-26-2003, 06:15 PM
He meant Cattail Cove/Sand Point.
That's the second one in the general area in less than a week. On Wednesday one of our local meth heads was southbound just south of the Bill Williams when he passed in a no psaaaing zone, on a curve and hit another car head on. The driver of the other car was DOA. The tweaker is in jail.

uvindex
04-26-2003, 07:17 PM
Where did it happen? South of Havasu? or North? Cottonwood is north on Mojave... He meant Cattail Cove/Sand Point.Thanks Alan/BoatCop, you're right. (I don't know where I got Cottonwood Cove. :() The accident was south of Havasu and north of Cattail Cove.
Sorry to hear about the other incident. The stretch of 95 around Bill Williams is kind of scary, espcecially the curve that people often overcook.

Kilrtoy
04-26-2003, 07:22 PM
Drugs arent bad just ask the shit head in jail. All drugs should be banned and DUI penalies should be way stiff. Yes build more jails to place all these idiots in.....

unleashed
04-27-2003, 12:21 PM
I know which accident you were refering to. Unfortunatly I was the first one on the scene. There was a jeep and ford involved. It appeared that the jeep went into the fords lane. Both front ends were completely crushed. I checked both occupants pulse. The jeeps occupant a young guy probably about 20 was dead on impact. The other occupant was a police officer that was bleeding from his ears but I think he survived. The only fortunate thing about the whole situation is that I arrived in time to warn other vehicles that were fast approaching. It could have been even worst. The impact was so hard that all the vehicle lights were completely out so you could not see the accident. I mean I didnt even see it till I came up on it from the opposite side. If it would have been in my lane I probably would have have hit them. If anyone finds any info on this accident please let me know I'd like to know how the cop is and where the young man was from.
Deano

little rowe boat
04-27-2003, 12:59 PM
I SEE IT ALL THE TIME,THE OFFENDER/PERSON UNDER THE INFLUENCE GETS AWAY WITH MINOR INJURIES OR NONE AT ALL AND THE INNOCENT VICTIM DEAD OR MAMED FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES.IT'S JUST NOT RIGHT. :mad:

Chet 17
04-27-2003, 08:25 PM
heres the news on the red truck, I hope hes not a cop like earlier posted......heres the link, hope this works
http://www.havasunews.com/HAVASUNEWS/sites/HAVASUNEWS/0913edition/myarticles637515.asp?P=637515&S=463&PubID=10921

unleashed
04-27-2003, 08:32 PM
This was not the accident that I drove up on. This one happened friday night when I was headed to parker for some partying. The guy was definitly a cop. It seems there was 2 bad accidents in a matter of a couple of days in the same area.
Deano

Sandbar Mike
04-28-2003, 06:49 AM
unleashed:
I know which accident you were refering to. Unfortunatly I was the first one on the scene. There was a jeep and ford involved. It appeared that the jeep went into the fords lane. Both front ends were completely crushed. I checked both occupants pulse. The jeeps occupant a young guy probably about 20 was dead on impact. The other occupant was a police officer that was bleeding from his ears but I think he survived. The only fortunate thing about the whole situation is that I arrived in time to warn other vehicles that were fast approaching. It could have been even worst. The impact was so hard that all the vehicle lights were completely out so you could not see the accident. I mean I didnt even see it till I came up on it from the opposite side. If it would have been in my lane I probably would have have hit them. If anyone finds any info on this accident please let me know I'd like to know how the cop is and where the young man was from.
Deano Deano,
Thats extremely unfortunite to here, My hats off to you for getting involved, Most people will just keep going. What a way to start your weekend.

Her454
04-28-2003, 12:24 PM
People like this really piss me off. No regard at all for others lives, INCLUDING HIS 6 YEAR OLD STEPSON. My prayers go out to the family and I wish the other accident victims the best also. I hate that stretch of road.

HavasuDreamin'
04-28-2003, 01:46 PM
Kilrtoy:
Drugs arent bad just ask the shit head in jail. All drugs should be banned and DUI penalies should be way stiff. Yes build more jails to place all these idiots in..... More Jails :confused: ................ more like shoot 'em baliff if someone kills another person behind the wheel while on drugs or booze. Why waste tax payer $$$ on slimeballs like this.......the citizens of the US deserve better than that........
[ April 28, 2003, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

unleashed
04-28-2003, 02:20 PM
Heres the link to the accident. From what I could tell when I walked up to the jeep it didnt hold up well at all in the drivers compartment. I completely crushed the young guy. The Fords compartment actually looked fine. But head on the smaller car will always get the worst of it. As the article states even if he were wearing his seatbelt he would have died. Sad story all the way around and such a young life taken.
accident (http://www.mohavedailynews.com/display/inn_news/news%204%20txt)

uvindex
04-28-2003, 02:39 PM
Thanks, Unleashed, for the link to the accident I described at the beginning of the thread. The Havasu paper is still only talking about the *other* (Wednesday's) accident, also with fatality and also involving late model red Ford pick-up and also in the same vicinity -- your link makes things much clearer. (The time of the accident given in the report (5:00am Saturday) is wrong -- when we passed the scene Friday night at around 11:00pm the crashed vehicles were there along with police and DPS crews, but it appeared that the firetrucks and ambulances were all gone by then. Two-lane roads are part of getting to and from the river, but they suck.

unleashed
04-28-2003, 02:58 PM
Yeah the time of the accident was probably about 10:45 or so. Like I said I was the first to the scene and thank god I was as Im positive I prevented an even bigger catastrophe. You are definitly right its always the same story with those 2 lane highways but its part of reality. I really never wear my seatbelt but it makes me think twice after seeing this accident up close and personal.
Deano

jm2drvr
04-28-2003, 06:48 PM
there was also another accident on Highway 95 heading into Bullhead from Needles. Second hand information here. It happened on Sat. PM about 6 or 7. A man and wife pulled over bucause of sun in their eyes, they were struck by another vehicle, the lady died...a couple of hours later, a news reporter from Las Vegas was covering the accident at the site, when a drunk driver struck a firefighter, police officer and the reporter...don't know if anyone was killed in second accident...once again this is a unconfirmed story, but I did see about 15 police cars in this area around 10pm.

hot_diggity_dog
04-28-2003, 07:13 PM
Yeah the time of the accident was probably about 10:45 or so. Like I said I was the first to the scene and thank god I was as Im positive I prevented an even bigger catastrophe. You are definitly right its always the same story with those 2 lane highways but its part of reality. I really never wear my seatbelt but it makes me think twice after seeing this accident up close and personal. Hey Deanno stand up job.
I was heading into town right after it happened and the police had just put up the signs.
It wakes you up in a real hurry.
I alway's wear my belt.
But just for this reason I carry (2) flares in the side pockets of each door. That way you can reach down and instantly light up and direct traffic and not get run over.
Lets all learn and try to stay alert this season.
HDD frown

unleashed
04-28-2003, 07:30 PM
Trust me the first thing I wished I had at that moment were some flares. I had my buddie Gary put on our bright lights and hazards and prayed that would work to stop traffic. I was jumping up and down in the middle of the road to get these drivers attention. Thank god it worked. I'll have to invest in some flares for sures.
Deano

Raskal
04-28-2003, 09:29 PM
i saw that crash on friday night it was bad the guy in the jeep did die and was from havasu and the guy in the ford was from hemit i got there about 10;00 and they were still cleanig it up frown

Seadog
04-29-2003, 05:13 AM
The report moved to archives (http://www.mohavedailynews.com/archives/index.inn?loc=detail&doc=/2003/April/27-747-news%204%20txt.txt)

eliminator777
04-29-2003, 05:28 AM
Well boys I live here. and I'm going to say something nobody wants to here.OH WELL!!!!!!!
#1 The guy in the pick up was charged with Manslagther. But here goes.You have no idea how it feels to see you people from CA. with your white lic. plates with your boats in tow passing a car or a truck going the speed limit 65mph right in to on coming traffic makeing on coming cars go for the ditch.Why would it be that much of a rush to do that when your only 30 miles away.I drive a gas tanker for parker oil. I see the suv's with there boats do this all the time If you get behind a big truck you can't follow him no matter how fast he's going .WHY because you have a White lic. plate. :D :D :p :p

Boatcop
04-29-2003, 11:51 AM
The kid charged with Manslaughter (I call him a "kid", 'cause I've known him and his family since forever, and he went to school with my daughter) was also charged with criminal damage, aggravated assault, child abuse, and DUI. A total of 9 felony charges.
He was booked into jail with no bond. He's a convicted felon, from previous charges in Arizona, California and Nevada.
It's sad how people can come from prominent, stable families and turn into shitbags like this.
[ April 29, 2003, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: Boatcop ]

Jrocket
04-29-2003, 01:46 PM
eliminator777:
Well boys I live here. and I'm going to say something nobody wants to here.OH WELL!!!!!!!
#1 The guy in the pick up was charged with Manslagther. But here goes.You have no idea how it feels to see you people from CA. with your white lic. plates with your boats in tow passing a car or a truck going the speed limit 65mph right in to on coming traffic makeing on coming cars go for the ditch.Why would it be that much of a rush to do that when your only 30 miles away.I drive a gas tanker for parker oil. I see the suv's with there boats do this all the time If you get behind a big truck you can't follow him no matter how fast he's going .WHY because you have a White lic. plate. :D :D :p :p Well I definately see your side of the story but dont generalize all Californians!! I dont drive that way and I have many Ca. friends that dont either.I do see alot of people driving like idiots on the way to the river or Havasu...The people that drive like idiots piss me off,no matter what plates are on the car!!!! :mad:

Ziggy
04-29-2003, 02:21 PM
YEah, don't generalize us Ca. Drivers...I made a point of it on another thread that safety must come first when driving these 2 lane roads, passing only when full visibility is there. Driving fast to get there at 12 verses 12:30 makes no sense since the lake will still be there in the morning. I have seen many stupid moves by other drivers, towing or not....common sense for some seems to fly out the window when the river calls. Me, I love my family too much to put them in jeapory just to save 20-30 minutes of driving time, I just pray that others on the road have the same disipline.
5 stars to RatherbeinLHC for getting involved and being a stand up person at a very bad moment.

hot_diggity_dog
04-29-2003, 02:30 PM
A couple of other notes on the subject of safety.
ON TWO LANE ROADS DRIVE WITH YOUR LIGHTS ON. idea
When people are passing they can see you!!! eek!
And why not slow down and move over to let them pass too!!!! :rolleyes:
If you are towing the speed limit is 55MPH not 80MPH burningm
"Be alert nobody will be hurt" wink
HDD :cool:

uvindex
04-29-2003, 02:56 PM
5 stars to RatherbeinLHC for getting involved and being a stand up person at a very bad moment.Thank you Ziggy, but by the time we drove past the accident it was all over except removal of the wrecked vehicles. Please give some stars to Unleashed/Deano, as he was first on the scene and rendered aid and prevented secondary collisions. :)
Happy boating,
CS

Ziggy
04-29-2003, 03:04 PM
RatherBeInLHC:
5 stars to RatherbeinLHC for getting involved and being a stand up person at a very bad moment.Thank you Ziggy, but by the time we drove past the accident it was all over except removal of the wrecked vehicles. Please give some stars to Unleashed/Deano, as he was first on the scene and rendered aid and prevented secondary collisions. :)
Happy boating,
CS Shot those 5 over to unleashed..well deserved! Hard to find people like that these days, nobody wants to get involved for fear of being sued.

uvindex
04-29-2003, 03:05 PM
ON TWO LANE ROADS DRIVE WITH YOUR LIGHTS ON. Great point, hot_diggity_dog!
What's up with people not knowing/understanding that anyway???? On that stretch of road, there are even SIGNS at both ends that say, "Use headlights day and night" but I see maybe one car out of ten with their lights on in the daytime. (And turn on your headlights even if you have those crappy DRL's like I have on my Suburban -- they're not worth @#^% -- the worst are the DRL's on newer Vettes -- they look like parking lights, and are not going to make your car more visible from two miles away, which is about the distance you need to be seen when everybody is going 80MPH.)
Happy boating and safe passing,
CS

SchellSchock
04-29-2003, 03:34 PM
Couple of points...
1)..Kudos to u unleashed for stopping etc. 5 on the way.
2) People should not be afraid to help due to the fear of getting sued. I think the way it works in CA is, you can be sued but if it is proven you were trying too in good consience help the courts will find in your favor.
3) I agree we all should slow down and be more considerate on the roads to and from the Lakes, River, whatever.
4) Ever wonder if the morons passing at all of the wrong times etc. are the same a'holes who don't know or don't follow the common decency rules of the water when boating????