PDA

View Full Version : Boat lenth limit for Parker

BGMAN203
05-01-2003, 02:59 AM
Well the rumor is that the Havasu Marina is frowning on having boats over 36' launch at the marina. This brings me to the question....and input from my fellow boaters. Should Parker limit the size of boats they allow to run along the river? I am sure many of you know that the Parker Strip gets "Chunkier" every year. Being a guy who has a flattie I wouldn't mind if they would put a limit on Parker and let the "Big Boats" run on the "Big Lake" like Havasu. Don't get me wrong I have no problem with the larger boats....for the most part they are some of the more safe boaters out on the water, but how big is too big? It seems like every year the boats get bigger and bigger. It seems like to me it would make more sense to limit the lenth and size of the boats that run at Parker than limiting the size of boat that can run on Havasu.
What do you guys think?
:confused:
:confused:

eliminator777
05-01-2003, 05:19 AM
The marina in Havasu is run buy a bunch of greedy money grubbing A@#$#@$ .Really big boats don't belong at Parker. Most don't go but this is America man We have the right to choose!!!!!!!
Just like you.This is AZ. man not CA. with all their stupid rules,What we need is,Rules, how long a boat can be,How loud , Which direction you can travel,what time you can start your boat,Speed limit, if we get enough rules whats the point of coming to Parker or Havasu You can stay in CA The rules will be the same.It's your RIGHT to choose!!!!!!! He who uses his head Dosn't sink his boat.

Boatcop
05-01-2003, 05:29 AM
What we need is,Rules, how long a boat can be,How loud , Which direction you can travel,what time you can start your boat,Speed limit. We have the right to choose!!!!!!! Your right to choose ends when it infringes on the law and creates a danger or nuisance to others.
Loud boats disturb others' peace and can be harmful to hearing.
What "time" you can start your boat doesn't matter, as long as the exhaust and mufflers are legal and don't create excess noise.
Direction of travel is set by Federal Navigation rules, and those who don't follow it create a hazard and cause accidents.
Excessively long boats create a substantial wake, hazarding smaller vessels, and when parked in narrow places (like the channel} can impede normal navigation.
Everyone screasm about "their" rights, while completely ignoring the rights of others.
It's all about respect and courtesy. Some take this into consideration when boating in someone elses back yard, but many don't. Those who don't are the ones who are making it necessary to place restrictions on all.

Charley
05-01-2003, 06:10 AM
and a 21' V makes a bigger wake then a 30' cat... I know rules are important but this subject is so subjective... kinda like the noise ordinance....certain amount of feet away blah blah blah ... what about the ambient noise from other boats in the vicinity?? I put mufflers on my boat cause I like the quiet/sleeper type wink butit sure seems like our rights as Americans seem to be diminishing... wanna put a camera in everyones house? NO but if this keeps up in 30 years it might be the Norm frown

Havasu Hangin'
05-01-2003, 06:31 AM
Trouble at Parker? Shocking!
How long are those wakeboard boats?

Havasu Cig
05-01-2003, 06:43 AM
I have not been to Parker for years but I hear the wake problems in large part come from Wake boarding boats.
I would never take my current boat to Parker, but I also think that when you create more laws it can get to the point where it is just not worth it anymore.
I had this discussion with mo other 1/2 after the Marina incident. We decided that when it gets to the point that the River / Lake is not as much fun anymore because of regulations we will sell our house and find another place to play.
The people out there need to know what brings in the money. Take away boating and the towns will fall apart.

Just4Fun
05-01-2003, 07:03 AM
I don’t really have a problem with the length of boats at Parker. Most of the big, big boats that go there do it one time and go back to Havasu. I don’t mind 99.9% of the boats that don’t use mufflers. I like listening to them even though I run through exhaust. But I do hate the guy that runs his at 5:30 AM at Rio across from the Sheriff/Fire station. He runs 5” exhaust stacks off on it and is louder than F##K!! He races himself up and down right in front of Rio. It’s like getting drunk the night before and your friends sneak you into the pits at the drag races and someone cranks up a top fuel blown drag right by your head while you were still asleep. He’s done by 6:15AM and never puts it back in until the next morning. Of course he only goes out on the weekends. I hate that A-HOLE. burningm I should have some kind of right on this one. Just my $.02 though.

68campbell
05-01-2003, 07:07 AM
As a home owner with a dock on the Parker strip and a flatty, I don't think size is the issue, I think IQ is the issue. When the big boat owners know what they are doing there is no problem. My dock and boat gets more damage from the wake board boats doing 15 mph 5 feet off the end of my dock. An IQ test on the launch ramp would solve the problem.
P.S. I still hate the noise restrictions

mbrown2
05-01-2003, 07:14 AM
The Wakeboard boats throw much bigger wakes. Also, since Parker is shallow in spots in pretty much natually eliminates most boats over 35'. I know a couple that are bigger, but they are also very savvy owners, but I know 21' owners that are afraid to bring their boats down.
No disrepect to Jet4Fun since I do respect your opinion, but as for the flatty that wakes up to do speed runs at 05:30, I would wear ear plugs. When I first started going to the river in 78, they were the only boats out there, and they would make passes in the morning and afternoon, and when the bars closed. Now with the bigger boats churning up the river, they have to come out at dawn only to make passes....There is nothing better at bringing the morning wood then Flat's and Hydros making passes on the river.

Ed Arnold
05-01-2003, 07:18 AM
"You don't want to bite the hand that feeds you." That's a phase that Havasu needs to live by. Just look at what the main industry is in Havasu. BOATS!!! Last week the with the poker run you had a hard time finding a room. As soon as they start enforcing "RULES & REG" for no good reason, people will go eles where. You think that the city councle would cater to our industry, but they don't. They fight us every step of the way. The latest is parking restrictions at Windsor Beach. If you are over 55ft in lenght, you need to park in over-flow. That's not to bad, but if you are over 65ft which is the legal lenght limit for on road tractor/trailer combination, they not only will turn you away but have the authority to write a citation. Alot of us are approching that 65ft limit with a 4-door pick-up and a 30ft boat. I know that safty plays a role in this, but the bottom line is the bottom line. Start enforcing B.S. rules and you might as well drain the lake! And thats my one thought for the month. Ed

Just4Fun
05-01-2003, 07:31 AM
mbrown2,
No disrespect felt. I too have been going to Parker since 79. My first boat was a Sanger with a 460 and I never used mufflers. I know and agree with morning runs. I still like to hear them run in the morning, USUALLY. This guy is so loud that he actually rattles the trailer. Like I said 99.9% I have no problem with......
On another note I too could do without the wake board boats. I ended up taking my boat to Havasu Barney to take out some gouges because they like to run so close to the docks at Road Runner and Sundance. God I have a mean case of poor me’s today. Sorry... Come on weekend. :D

DogHouse
05-01-2003, 07:39 AM
Just4Fun:
God I have a mean case of poor me’s today. Sorry... Come on weekend. :D That's funny, I get those once in a while too!
:D

MAXIMUS
05-01-2003, 07:51 AM
I hate to put restrictions on anybody at parker, simply because I don't want any on me. I love going fast & not being harrased for it! However I think it is totally f#@&ing retarded for these guys in these 30' plus offshore boats to haul ass all day long up & down the strip in & out of skiers, & floaters. Most of these jerks can't even see what the hell is in front of them. I have been floating with my kids & these clowns come by within 10' at 60+ mph! If I was a cop I would pull my gun out & start shooting! As far as early morning racers, that is the birth right of the "strip". Yea it hurts sometimes but its always a warm welcome! :)

Havasu Cig
05-01-2003, 07:56 AM
ED is right about the 65' limit at Windsor. We are at 64' 8" with our Excursion. With my old f-350 I would have been over. They told me last week that they might start writing cites for anyone over 65' without a CDL.

mbrown2
05-01-2003, 08:29 AM
Just4Fun:
mbrown2,
God I have a mean case of poor me’s today. Sorry... Come on weekend. :D That's funny
BTW, The flatty guy could at least wait until 07:00 - 07:30 before the speed runs to be respectful...the water is still pretty flat then..
Also, I agree with you on Foxes and Roadrunner, the water kicks up...and I get all kinds of micro-scratches against those dam bouys....I am beginning to think beaching is better unless I can find a spot on the inside.
[ May 01, 2003, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: mbrown2 ]

MissHavasuCig
05-01-2003, 08:36 AM
At Windsor they even have lines painted on the ground where you enter the park for the 55' and 65' markers so they can see how long the truck and trailer are...

BGMAN203
05-01-2003, 09:03 AM
I never thought about the wakeboard boats. But still, you can't argue the fact that a 28'and up scarab or similar style boat doesn't throw a big ass wake. I have seem some stuff out there that I have to double take on and ask myself.....shouldn't that thing be in the Pacific Ocean, and how did they launch that thing? Maybe with a crane? Like I said when I started this topic...doesn't it make sense for bigger boats to run on a larger body of water than the little ole Parker Strip?

superV
05-01-2003, 09:16 AM
See there is alot of good reson to live at places like LOTO :D If you go to any midwest lake you will never have any of these issues and gas if $1.35. One might say well it snow sand the season is is too short, well I start in mid april and boat till november every year with no rules or problems. Being from SoCal I understand not wanting to move but it is just getting to ****ed up out west to have any fun or money :( Im even tring to move back but I think Lost Wages or AZ will be the way to go and after spending 25yrs in SoCal that blows but what the hell choice does a guy have :confused:

78Eliminator
05-01-2003, 09:17 AM
I say nothing over 23'......
Actually, I chage my mind. First it will be boat length, then they will lower the decibals allowed, then the amount of people in your boat, then the MPG, then smog and it won't stop. **** that. NO RULES.
Anway, if you want glass, hit the shallow spots that the big boats can't take. I'll see you all at Martinez!
[ May 01, 2003, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: 78Eliminator ]

superV
05-01-2003, 09:20 AM
Hey Justin did you ever go on your trip we talk about?

superV
05-01-2003, 09:20 AM
Hey Justin did you ever go on your trip we talk about?

78Eliminator
05-01-2003, 09:21 AM
superV:
Hey Justin did you ever go on your trip we talk about? No, the local spots have been very sweet lately and somebody I know went to TX and said it was really bad this year. Until I hear of a sure thing, I am going to stay here. I just can't pack up and go without knowing for sure.....
J

superV
05-01-2003, 09:24 AM
78Eliminator:
superV:
Hey Justin did you ever go on your trip we talk about? No, the local spots have been very sweet lately and somebody I know went to TX and said it was really bad this year. Until I hear of a sure thing, I am going to stay here. I just can't pack up and go without knowing for sure.....
I hear ya. If you would like give me a call and maybe ill bring a load out to OP6 for ya
J

missboatnam1
05-01-2003, 09:26 AM
just4fun that is my buddies boss that always makes the run early in the morning.i dont mind myself but i can understand how some people do.parker will never have a boat lenght limit it dont need to it creates it own limit guys with big boats will go other places.

Jrocket
05-01-2003, 09:57 AM
Just4Fun:
But I do hate the guy that runs his at 5:30 AM at Rio across from the Sheriff/Fire station. He runs 5” exhaust stacks off on it and is louder than F##K!! He races himself up and down right in front of Rio. It’s like getting drunk the night before and your friends sneak you into the pits at the drag races and someone cranks up a top fuel blown drag right by your head while you were still asleep. He’s done by 6:15AM and never puts it back in until the next morning. Of course he only goes out on the weekends. I hate that A-HOLE. burningm I should have some kind of right on this one. Just my $.02 though. Ahhhhh yes...the blue and white jet boat with the 14-71 and zoomies.Since Im right by him,I'll ask him to start alittle later for you.But my advice would be......EAR PLUGS!!!!! :D

Boatcop
05-01-2003, 11:16 AM
Ahhhhh yes...the blue and white jet boat with the 14-71 and zoomies. I had a little talk with this guy a couple of weeks ago, and put him on notice that his exhaust system is illegal.
I got the usual:
"I've been doing this here for years" You just haven't been caught, yet
"I live here" - No you don't. You have a trailer here, you live somewhere else.
"There's no where else to run like this. It's illegal everywhere else." Guess what. It's illegal here, too.
As I said before it's all about respect and consideration of others. Some don't seem to have any.
Everyone whines about their "Rights". I defey anyone to show me where in the Constitution it says you have the right to a loud, long, wake throwing, (etc) boat, and the right to do anything you want with it.
Boating is a luxury and a privilege. Inconsiderate, irresponsible boaters are the ones who have forced restrictions on that privilege.
[ May 01, 2003, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Boatcop ]

Havasu Cig
05-01-2003, 11:40 AM
BoatCop,
I agree with your post as far as legalities (sp), but if the laws get to a point where the boaters stop comming the cities will go under (or look like Quartzite).
The blue hairs certainly are not the ones spending the majority of the money in either Parker or Havasu.
[ May 01, 2003, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: Havasu Cig ]

Up 4 River
05-01-2003, 12:23 PM
My whole life I have grown up not remember going to the river and in particular Parker. I was born the year some of you mentioned starting to go ther, but have seen the changes. I have always loved waking up between 5-6 am in the morning, but it was to get those water ski rides in with my Dad.
The Parker strip has always been a place where you need to have responsible drivers with how narrow the river gets in particular parts. I love all boats, from the old school flatties to the bigger cats and v-bottoms that are there on a regular basis now. I think the problem starts when you get some guy who makes a Memorial Day, Labor Day, or 4th of July trip with some people and then thinks he's a river rat. He goes out and finances a $50,000-$100,000 boat by himself or with a buddy over 15 years, doesn't take a boating safety course, drives up the wrong side of the river, tries to pull into his first dock at Fox's with a current and isn't familiar with his throttle. He hits the dock, other boats, creats wakes and other unessary stuff. Then he thinks it's cool to have two Crazy Fox'z and floor his boat down river.
I have buddies who have wakeboard boats and I agree that their wakes are ridiculous! My buddies who have them actually can ride properly on them. Half of the wakeboarders out there can't even clear their own wake, but since it is the cool thing they fill their tanks, put fat sacks and load the boat up. Then they crank up their stereo at 6am because they have to ride with their tunes.(Give me a break)
Parker is my favorite place in the world and it kills me when people are stupid out there.
I think Havasu is fine for the big boats and the fact that the Marina's are regulating is ridiculous. They need to be reminded who butters their bread and who is filling up their hotels and resturants. It's not people on waverunners. That's it and I just had to give my thoughts when

SCUBA STEVE
05-01-2003, 12:35 PM
I dont mind the early runs anywhere on the water, thats kind of like my alarm clock, to start getting my sh*t together. The water is always choppy at parker, wake board boat, big boat, flat bottom what ever. The times I have been there its been windy. I first broke in my flat bottom at parker, it was so choppy I thought my boat was going to fall apart. I also see those boats taking a beating on the docks at the roadrunner, day & night. I dont think restricting the boat size will matter. Just ask RIVER I BROKE MY WRIST DAVE, its just as dangerous off the water as it is on the water.
sorry rd, I figured I throw that one out, since you cant type much and get me back.
:D :D
[ May 01, 2003, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: SCUBA STEVE ]

68campbell
05-01-2003, 01:27 PM
As for the loud AM flatty runs, do what my wife does to me...
...every night she pulls my coil wire and won't give it back until 9AM. Yes, I have a spare but I don't have the huevos to use it.

boatnam2
05-01-2003, 01:38 PM
jr, that is the boat im talking about,parker does get rough as hell but you just have to know where to go if you ski.i can find perfect h2o any day of the week anytime of the day except saturday.even saturday the water is good until about 9 or 10 when everyone starts coming out of there friday night fog.if its windy its going to be choppy anywhere you go period.times change and so does are hobby,the day of the little boat was here and now gone boats are bigger and thats just a fact.i remeber not even 5 years ago a 26 ft cat was a big deal and everyone looked in awe.i had one in 1998 and a lot of people rubber necked to watch it.now a 26 will barley even get a look at parker.

Jrocket
05-01-2003, 01:42 PM
68campbell:
As for the loud AM flatty runs, do what my wife does to me...
...every night she pulls my coil wire and won't give it back until 9AM. Yes, I have a spare but I don't have the huevos to use it. That has too be one of the funniest and most origianal ones I have heard yet...LMAO :D That is classic too me..
Shot ya 5 stars for that one..Now to hide the idea before my wife see's it. :)

boatnam2
05-01-2003, 01:45 PM
68 that is a good one,i would spin the clock on her just to get even.

Jrocket
05-01-2003, 01:46 PM
Boatnam...if he's bugging you,I'll take care of it for ya. http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/cool/cool03.gif Just keep some bail money in your pocket for me just in case!!! :D
I think theres plenty of water and room for everyone and all sizes of boats.BUT theres not any room for idiots...NO matter what!! :mad:

68campbell
05-01-2003, 01:59 PM
Having a wife who's a motorhead has its good points too. She worked in the industry for 10 years and knows how to find the parts I need.

boatnam2
05-01-2003, 01:59 PM
hes not bugging me i love watching the flats anytime of the day.i dont see it much anymore since i no longer stay on the water but if i hear someone i jump in the golf cart and haul ass to watch.it dont matter to me the louder the better.

boatnam2
05-01-2003, 02:01 PM
i understand that to people that live on the water it must get old but i mean its saturday morning parker az lets hear them f--king blowers.

BGMAN203
05-01-2003, 02:44 PM
boatnam2:
i understand that to people that live on the water it must get old but i mean its saturday morning parker az lets hear them f--king blowers. I hear that couldn't of said it better myself!!
Nothing like waking up to smell of alky and the sound of huffers in the early am....it seriously makes my day.
[ May 01, 2003, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: BGMAN203 ]

BGMAN203
05-01-2003, 02:50 PM
boatnam2:
jr, that is the boat im talking about,parker does get rough as hell but you just have to know where to go if you ski.i can find perfect h2o any day of the week anytime of the day except saturday.even saturday the water is good until about 9 or 10 when everyone starts coming out of there friday night fog.if its windy its going to be choppy anywhere you go period.times change and so does are hobby,the day of the little boat was here and now gone boats are bigger and thats just a fact.i remeber not even 5 years ago a 26 ft cat was a big deal and everyone looked in awe.i had one in 1998 and a lot of people rubber necked to watch it.now a 26 will barley even get a look at parker. Well 26 might barley get a look, but I get plenty in my injected flattie when I cruise up river, seems like I spend more time waving to people than I do steering. If you look around there are still alot of "little boats" that run at parker, so yes "bigger boats" are here but I don't know about little boats being gone. :cool:

C-Ya
05-01-2003, 03:07 PM
Since everybody has their bitch and gripe, I thought I would throw in one of my own.
RENTAL JET SKIS
This is how most people experience their first time on the water, or the first time without their parents telling them what too do. Either way, it seems as though my Parker weekends usually end up with me flipping off some irresponsible rental jet skier, or if they really piss me off, I give them the royal spray down.
Don't get me wrong there are alot of responsible jet skiers, but those people own their own jet skis. So, on my wish list, I just want to make it illeagal to rent or lend out any jet ski for any reason whatsoever! And I mean not even lend it to your brother or grandma!
This would make an improvement to Parker that would be much better than limiting size, since ski boats with water blatters put out the same wake as a 42' Fountain.
Anyways, just my .02
C-Ya

boatnam2
05-01-2003, 06:32 PM
bgman i love the little boats dont get me wrong.only the hardcore boys will be out on a saturday as a matter of fact there was a guy last weekend in a flattie showing off in front of roadrunner and he came so close to eating his lunch he hit a wake and i could see daylight under his ass i dont know how he didnt fly out.

RiverToysJas
05-01-2003, 06:35 PM
BGMAN203:
Should Parker limit the size of boats they allow to run along the river? I don't want "them" limiting anything in my life.
RTJas :D

mbrown2
05-01-2003, 06:38 PM
boatnam2:
hes not bugging me i love watching the flats anytime of the day.i dont see it much anymore since i no longer stay on the water but if i hear someone i jump in the golf cart and haul ass to watch.it dont matter to me the louder the better. Amen, I hear them, and run to view them...nothing better than speed runs in the AM.

paradigm shift
05-01-2003, 07:25 PM
Boatcop:
[QUOTE]
Boating is a luxury and a privilege. Inconsiderate, irresponsible boaters are the ones who have forced restrictions on that privilege. Well I hate to see strict regulations or enforcement of existing BS regulations myself. But Boatcop hit the nail on the head. The more inconsiderate and irresponsible boaters the more restrictions we will see. :mad:
Enjoy the privilege while you can. :rolleyes:

Jrocket
05-01-2003, 07:33 PM
Boatcop:
Everyone screasm about "their" rights, while completely ignoring the rights of others.
It's all about respect and courtesy. Some take this into consideration when boating in someone elses back yard, but many don't. Those who don't are the ones who are making it necessary to place restrictions on all. These two statements pretty much can cover it all.Seems like alot of the times people think they're so much better than the other that they can do whatever and whenever they want.I know of people like this and they make me want to puke!! :mad:

TCHB
05-01-2003, 08:55 PM
IT is not the boat size in Parker but the number of boats on the water.
In the last ten years Parker strip has added over 2,400 additional mobile homes and camp spaces and continues to grow. Take a look at Emerald Cove and you see 560 plus spaces and now they are going to add mobile homes to the place. Up river on the California side they are now adding over 75 new mobile home sites on the river at one of the most conjested areas of the river. The houses being built are putting up concrete dock walls which bounce the water back to the middle of the river and make it worse. Add all those people and you have got a mess. I sold my place on the river becase the weekends were getting way to scary.
Good luck to all of you on the Parker Strip!

BP1330
05-02-2003, 05:07 AM
We don't need size restrictions. There are already rules for a boats wake. The operater of a vessel is responsible for any damage caused by their wakes. If some a@@ runs by RoadRunner thowing out a 3 foot wake and damages your boat make a report and turn into your insurance. As soon as some of these guys start having to pay for their stupidty maybe they will be a little more curtious.

Seadog
05-02-2003, 05:31 AM
When you are young, you are not bothered by much. But what happens when you get married and have a baby. Imagine the mother that was up all night with a crying baby. Just as she gets it to sleep, VROOOOM. There has to be rules, both official and unofficial, to make things work.
When people ignore the unofficial rules, they make it to the official rules and then it will cost everyone.

68campbell
05-02-2003, 07:17 AM
I believe we are all doomed to pay the price that the inconsiderate boaters are causing. If we can't police ourselves then the gov't will.
C-YA, I believe you know where my house at parker is. My dock has been hit by those jet-ski more times than my fingers will allow me to count.