PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing your boat

spectratoad
09-11-2002, 10:38 AM
:( Ok I hate to bring this subject up, it seems like I just got the boat ready to go. :( For those of us that aren't lucky enough to live where it doesn't get to a freezing temp. Are there any secrets or tricks to be sure that nothing gets damaged during winter? I run the boat and get most of the water out and put a trouble light in the engine compartment. I read a thread elswhere about water that can freeze in the bowl. How do you get that out? Any other ideas, hints, suggestions, or should I post in the Hot Spots Alaska section? :D

THOR
09-11-2002, 11:37 AM
I used to do mine before I moved to SoCal. There are some tricks that I watched my mechanic do. My only piece of advice is to get a mechanic with a good reputation to do this for you. And, watch him do it.

Blown 472
09-11-2002, 11:46 AM
This is what I do, first the pump, I take one plug out of the pump and force gear lube into it and which it will purge the seal do to the way it is installed. Secondly I take the upper hoses off at the t stat housing and fill with antifreeze which gets into the heads and down into the block, I then take off the raw water line from the pump and pour antifreeze into it which forces it out thru the pump. dump some in the hull incase any water is down there. Some stabul in the gas if there is any left and thats it. wink

Mohavekid
09-12-2002, 05:05 PM
One more item, I always keep the fuel tanks full or close to full to reduce the amount of water collected by the gas. If you keep the tanks full, there is less room for condensation in the tanks as the tanks go thru warm and cold cycles.
LOL

randy77zt
09-13-2002, 09:13 PM
i dont bother.i used mine at least once a month last winter.i need my adrenalin rush or i get bummed out.the merc 2.5 efi likes cold dense air anyway.

HM
09-13-2002, 10:58 PM
What is winter? LOL

Jordy
09-13-2002, 11:03 PM
HolyMoly:
What is winter? LOLI was thinking the same thing. I guess it's kinda like that "rain" stuff that everyone keeps talking about, as I have heard about them but never actually experienced them.
Jordy :D

79Hawaiian
09-14-2002, 12:10 AM
Mohavekid:
One more item, I always keep the fuel tanks full or close to full to reduce the amount of water collected by the gas. If you keep the tanks full, there is less room for condensation in the tanks as the tanks go thru warm and cold cycles.
LOLI agree, just make sure you leave cheap 87 octane gas in the tanks and top off with 92 with your first trip and hope you dont have shit to clog your carb!

spectratoad
09-14-2002, 02:44 PM
Yeah whatever Jordan & HM, :D My wife is from Phoenix and I hear it all the time. We will be down south soon though. Gotta wait for the kids to grow up or the ex to disappear. I can't wait to get out of this four season stuff. :cool:
[ September 14, 2002, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: spectratoad ]

Chaddyshack
09-15-2002, 12:07 PM
I'm not sure that I agree with the cheapest gas concept. When I know that I'm not going to using a piece of equipment for a while, I top off the gas tank with wither VP or Dayco race fuel. This prevents the moisture from accumulating and even if these race gases start to degrade, they won't turn into varnish.
Oh, and when you put in your tanks, be sure to run the engine for a while to get the new fuel through your whole fuel system.
I know its expensive, but when you fire it up at the ramp and that sweet smell comes out and you have no problems, you'll appreciate it.
Chad wink