PDA

View Full Version : Winds destroyed my canopy

Ultra21
01-06-2003, 12:14 PM
A couple of years ago I bought a Costco canopy to store my boat in. It's about 10' x 20' white with sides and I can't find the company where it came from. The winds last night completely demolished the tarp and I need to replace it before the rains come. Anybody know where Costco got these things? or where I can get the replacement tarp?
I hope you were all safe from the winds! I heard we saw winds in the 80 Mph range.

Havasu Hangin'
01-06-2003, 12:29 PM
3:00AM...do you know where your BBQ is?
Mine danced across the patio (along with the rest of my patio furniture) and fell on it's face...broke the damn lid.
Welcome to the 909...

hd&boatrider
01-06-2003, 12:32 PM
I don't know but you can probably search and find the product somehow via the internet. Last night the lid on the back of my truck blew off, scrapped the truck up and the lid itself got messed up pretty good. It was laying on the sidewalk this AM with gashes in it. On top of that over Thanksgiving my friggin' roof blew off (tiles) in BHC. I still haven't got that fixed yet. I hate the winds worse than the cold.

OCStoker
01-06-2003, 12:49 PM
I found a surfboard in my backyard this morning.

HM
01-06-2003, 12:51 PM
Hey Ultra, if you find out, can you post it?
I don't have one, but am thinking of getting one so I can postpost building an enclosure!

ROZ
01-06-2003, 01:06 PM
OCStoker:
I found a surfboard in my backyard this morning. Hummm, I didn't see mine this morning.....If it's a tri-fin, it's mine. :D

mrs disco charger
01-06-2003, 01:06 PM
Hey Ultra, you may want to go back to Costco and ask them. They are usually pretty good with that stuff. You may even want to take the canopy back and see if they will exchange it for you. I know I have done that with Luggage that I bought from there that broke and they have exchanged it no problem.
[ January 06, 2003, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: mrs disco charger ]

Schiada76
01-06-2003, 01:08 PM
My quickshade was three doors down this morning, has some new "vent holes" in it. The frame held together great though. :D

In2Deep
01-06-2003, 01:13 PM
Found a patio chair from my back yard -- in my front yard. Gated/fenced all the way around -- so it had to have been tossed over 2 stories. SCV.

mbrown2
01-06-2003, 01:14 PM
Coming back from Social D show last night, and I saw one of those Costco 10x20 tents on the 118 last night...the thing looked mangled, and it must have flew from someone's backyard.

THOR
01-06-2003, 01:16 PM
ROZ:
OCStoker:
I found a surfboard in my backyard this morning. Hummm, I didn't see mine this morning.....If it's a tri-fin, it's mine. :D Was it a 6'2" Wave Tools?

beer hunter
01-06-2003, 01:20 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Havasu Hangin':
[QB] 3:00AM...do you know where your BBQ is?
Mine danced across the patio (along with the rest of my patio furniture) and fell on it's face...broke the damn lid.
Hey HH, I gotcha on the patio furniture and BBQ. That fancy new stainless steel Weber I bought last summer fell flat on it's face and broke the lid too! Oh I forgot to mention the the sixty feet of fence that blew down last night in the backyard. cry I guess I'll be giving the insurance company a call. argue

OCStoker
01-06-2003, 01:22 PM
THOR:
ROZ:
OCStoker:
I found a surfboard in my backyard this morning. Hummm, I didn't see mine this morning.....If it's a tri-fin, it's mine. :D Was it a 6'2" Wave Tools?

OCStoker
01-06-2003, 01:26 PM
THOR:
ROZ:
OCStoker:
I found a surfboard in my backyard this morning. Hummm, I didn't see mine this morning.....If it's a tri-fin, it's mine. :D Was it a 6'2" Wave Tools? Not a tri-fin. Might be a Wave Tool.

boatnam2
01-06-2003, 02:38 PM
i just lost my second one last night.its a 20x40.there is a place in lakewood called west coast supply they have any size tarp you need.

totenhosen
01-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Try a company called EZ Up or Variflex. If not jsut go to Home Depot and buy a new tarp.

Craig
01-06-2003, 03:02 PM
I called the company about a year ago that supplies the canopy to Costco. They told me, they don't sell direct, you have to go through Costco. But, I've heard other folks say they bought directly from them. Only problem is, by the time you pay the shipping, for even just the tarps, it's freakin' cheaper to just go by a complete new one at Costco. Mines trashed, they're only good for about 3 years in the desert sun. Costco starts stocking them again right after Christmas. Line up :D
Craig

boatnam2
01-06-2003, 03:07 PM
ultra21 the place west coast supply sells the good gray ones they are a lot stronger then the white ones.mine held up in 70mph winds all last year but the bungies become rotten after a years and stop stretching so this year when the winds starting blowing there was no stretch and the bungies just ripped out of the tarp.

kevnmcd
01-06-2003, 03:14 PM
beer hunter:
Hey HH, I gotcha on the patio furniture and BBQ. That fancy new stainless steel Weber I bought last summer fell flat on it's face and broke the lid too! Oh I forgot to mention the the sixty feet of fence that blew down last night in the backyard. cry I guess I'll be giving the insurance company a call. argue Yea, get that fence fixed...your back yard is an eye sore!! jawdrop wink

Desert Rat
01-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Harbor Freight has tarps of all sizes, and did I say that they are cheap too. My tarp hung in but the 2" poles on top look like a 25 year old sway back horse!!

GlastronGuy
01-06-2003, 03:23 PM
Craig:
I called the company about a year ago that supplies the canopy to Costco. They told me, they don't sell direct, you have to go through Costco. Craig I called them just over a month ago to get another end with the zipper and they told me the same thing.
OSH sells the walls and end panels in a package. I think it's about $80. I don't think they sell the top separately.

Bense468
01-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Havasu Hangin':
3:00AM...do you know where your BBQ is?
Welcome to the 909... HH where do you live. I live about 273 miles from Havasu thats why I was wondering.

e-ticket
01-06-2003, 04:55 PM
Ultra21
Try this link. Bought mine from here.
http://www.californiacarcover.com/product_list.asp?id=36

Havasu Hangin'
01-06-2003, 04:59 PM
Bense468:
HH where do you live. I live about 273 miles from Havasu thats why I was wondering. I like my cities how like my beer- Corona.

Whipped Caliber
01-06-2003, 05:59 PM
Hey Ultra got two last year from cosco. One is still in the box. I will get the name and phone number off the box and post it in the AM. :D :D

spectratoad
01-06-2003, 06:01 PM
I need one too. Lost mine in the winds a couple of weeks ago. I will see if I find anything and post it here. The whole structure was only about $150 though.

beer hunter
01-06-2003, 06:20 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code:<hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Yea, get that fence fixed...your back yard is an eye sore!!
</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yea, get that fence fixed...your back yard is an eye sore!!

malcolm
01-06-2003, 06:30 PM
I learned the hard way about those coscto sheds. You can't leave the side tarps on in high winds. Mine blew right up off the boat and landed next to it upside down in a past storm.

spectratoad
01-06-2003, 06:32 PM
I have the poles buried in the ground but I lost the side tarps and tied the frame to the boat trailer so it didn't end up somewhere else. 85mph winds. The top stayed together except for some shredded ends.

77charger
01-06-2003, 06:43 PM
i was awaken by the sound of my canopy(boat cover carport thingy)last night at 12.15 the poles were bouncing and making a loud noise went out to fix the prob and tie a rope around my gate so the wind doesnt blow it open.Back to sleep til 1:30 a knock on my door i am going shit now the canopy must be in my neighbors yard or something only to open the door and see my dog then a neighbor three house up "is this your dog?"The gate blew open and my dog got some freedom.I am thankful for the neighbor since my dog is a husky and he likes to run.A very lucky night for me.

bchbum
01-06-2003, 07:57 PM
I bought my 10 x 20 canopy at Ganahi lumber in Los Alamitos, it was on sale for $79.00 .

Kilrtoy
01-06-2003, 10:54 PM
Yeah last night I also lost mine. We were at COSCO last week in Northridge and they still had some. Some im going to get one this weekend....

midmagic
01-06-2003, 11:17 PM
You boys realize that those COSTCO canopies are guaranteed against ANYTHING for a year? Keep the boxes (for warranty info) and your receipt. If you have a claim, deal with the manufacturer. :cool:

novaguy
01-07-2003, 02:47 AM
Ultra21:
A couple of years ago I bought a Costco canopy to store my boat in. It's about 10' x 20' white with sides and I can't find the company where it came from. The winds last night completely demolished the tarp and I need to replace it before the rains come. Anybody know where Costco got these things? or where I can get the replacement tarp?
I hope you were all safe from the winds! I heard we saw winds in the 80 Mph range. try www.instystructures.com (http://www.instystructures.com)

JetBoatRich
01-07-2003, 08:18 AM
Here is what the wind did for me
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/MVC-013L.JPG
18 hour day

Blown 472
01-07-2003, 08:20 AM
Ha, you brag about your weather, it is 44 and no wind today. :rolleyes:

Windy
01-07-2003, 08:37 AM
Today in Huntington Beach its 74 and no more wind...that is something to brag about.
MissHBjet

THOR
01-07-2003, 08:50 AM
you damn right sista!

G-Ride
01-07-2003, 09:32 AM
I dunno try here. http://www.kingcanopy.com/
:cool:

beer hunter
01-07-2003, 11:05 AM
kevnmcd:
beer hunter:
Hey HH, I gotcha on the patio furniture and BBQ. That fancy new stainless steel Weber I bought last summer fell flat on it's face and broke the lid too! Oh I forgot to mention the the sixty feet of fence that blew down last night in the backyard. cry I guess I'll be giving the insurance company a call. argue Yea, get that fence fixed...your back yard is an eye sore!! jawdrop wink Very funny Kevin. One more crack like that and I'll swamp that little boat of yours again :D :D http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/02530019.JPG

kevnmcd
01-07-2003, 12:06 PM
hehehehehehehe

No strESSEX
01-07-2003, 12:19 PM
kevnmcd:
hehehehehehehe :D :D :D

Froggystyle
01-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Mine somehow levitated last night over my house to end up in the backyard! The funny thing is... six guys could not have gotten it from the one side to the other without dissasembly, and the wind did it no problem. Boat seems fine (not my boat) and the canopy is totally ****ed. Torn lid from landing on a tree, which it vaporized, and four thrashed poles.
Four words... get a garage Jerry!

rivercrazy
01-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Damn! Talk about dumb luck. Glad to hear the boat is unharmed.
I had my boat parked in my parents driveway for one night. The windy night! A tree fell inbetween their garage and my boat. Missed my boat by about a foot! Better to be lucky than good..... :D

zahndok
01-07-2003, 04:02 PM
You can also try www.Tarpsplus.com (http://www.Tarpsplus.com) They are local in SoCal. I have gotten a couple of 40x30 white tarps from them. They have a large selection of colors,sizes and qualities.

slowpoke
01-07-2003, 04:43 PM
Ultra21
Costco definitely imports their 10x20 canopy
product directly from asia. It's a good product.
You probably will have a problem purchasing a
new top separately. If Costco is not stocking
the product until spring an alternative product
is the Moto Shade. I work for the company that makes this product and also the Quik Shade.
The Moto Shade is available through california
car cover.com, pro canopy.com and all Orchard
Supply retail outlets. This is not a sales pitch,
just tring to help.

River Ric
01-07-2003, 10:37 PM
I guess I have my wife to thank. The wind was blowing like 90 mph. here in San Dimas and she looked out to se my canopy dancing around the boat. I had it waited down but that didn't matter. Thank God we have a big garage. My wife and son helped me take the legs off and we stuffed it in the garage. I saw 2 of them in other peoples front yards today in several pieces. I got mine at Sam's Club for $199.00 in Oct. when we brought the boat home for the winter. Hope everyone's boats are ok. pig_flyi

Ultra21
01-08-2003, 07:39 AM
Thanks everyone for all your inputs! I have a few options now and since the frames survived I should be in pretty good shape. I've been picking up small pieces of white vinyl everywhere. I heard this morning that LA is getting some rain. It figures! On a brighter side, if the rain stays away for a few more days I think I'll be taking the boat out to Lake "Smells sommore" (Elsinore) this weekend.

Nubbs
01-08-2003, 08:30 AM
Ultra,
I don't know if this will help anyone or not, but I made this one using fittings and tarps from west coast supply. The tarps at west coast have more grommets than the tarps from harbor freight and only cost a couple dollars more. I have a 10x8 on each end and a 20x30 over the top that wraps around the ends. I bought 50' of bungee from a supply store and made the bungees myself. The canopy is also on wheels so it rolls. It's also shorter than most, which helps keep it out of the wind. I can go into more details if anybody has any questions.
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/PB030012.JPG

RPrincez
01-08-2003, 08:40 AM
What parts do you need? I used only the top last year and the whole thing blew away but I had the sides and some parts in a box. If I know what you are looking for I will see if I have it. The parts are useless to me. I live in Norco but work in Placentia.

mbrown2
01-08-2003, 10:08 PM
Nubbs:
Ultra,
I don't know if this will help anyone or not, but I made this one using fittings and tarps from west coast supply. The tarps at west coast have more grommets than the tarps from harbor freight and only cost a couple dollars more. I have a 10x8 on each end and a 20x30 over the top that wraps around the ends. I bought 50' of bungee from a supply store and made the bungees myself. The canopy is also on wheels so it rolls. It's also shorter than most, which helps keep it out of the wind. I can go into more details if anybody has any questions.
Pretty cool looking setup....I am sure the Boat stays clean.

Nubbs
01-10-2003, 07:47 AM
mbrown2:
Nubbs:
Ultra,
Pretty cool looking setup....I am sure the Boat stays clean. For the most part it stays pretty clean. It can get a little dusty inside when the wind picks up, not bad though.

Ultra21
01-10-2003, 12:03 PM
Hey Nubbs, looks like you've got the hot setup!! I actually found some time to asses the damage yesterday and it turns out the sides are OK. The top shredded and flipped over on each side so I thought the sides were done too. I ordered a top from Procanopy.com. I was told the Variflex 10x20xt is a replica of the Costo canopy. The top tarp is $59.95. Since I've modified my canopy I decided to stick with what I have for now. I can't figure out how I've survived boating all these years without this forum? Inputs and help are greatly appreciated! Thanks

boatnam2
01-10-2003, 01:35 PM
hey nubbs i told everyone about west coast supply but there not getting it,they prefer to have the cheap costco one.

Nubbs
01-10-2003, 01:42 PM
boatnam2:
hey nubbs i told everyone about west coast supply but there not getting it,they prefer to have the cheap costco one. There are lots of places like west coast supply out there. I only chose them because they were closest to my house. Many places carry the same fittings and tarps. You just have to look around a bit. I too checked out the costco one, but I wasn't to fond of the quality or the length. It cost me more to make mine, but I got one built to fit MY application. What did you end up going with? Got any pics?

boatnam2
01-10-2003, 03:32 PM
i went with the 10x40 with the heavyduty poles and cemented them in the ground three feet,but im finding out that tarps and 70mph winds just dont mix.although the tarp did hold up for a full year in very high winds until the bunggies wore out.i think im going to just get some metal siding and give that a try.

78DiMarco
01-10-2003, 05:03 PM
I sell the Moto Shade and the Quik Shade canopies slowpoke was talking about. If anyone wants a deal on either one send me an email and I will take care of you. We have them in stock in the Canoga Park store. I can also ship anywhere but you will pay the freight charges. You can look at them both on my website at Cookin' Campers (http://www.cookincampers.com) If you call, speak with Lyn my partner and tell him you heard about it on Hot Boat Online.
Bert