PDA

View Full Version : MONSTER GARAGE

Johnwithjm
02-23-2003, 02:54 PM
I was at the LA boat show with John West from Ultra and John took me over to Long Beach to the set of Monster Garage and got to watch them shooting. Got to see the PT cruser and the swamp bug and a few other projects that were going on. John also took me over to West Coast Choppers and I got to meet Jesse James. Jesse is a very cool guy. He makes some of the most bad ass bikes I have ever seen. Thanks again to John

Jordy
02-23-2003, 04:48 PM
John, you're back. We missed you bud. :D Sounds like a good time though.

MANIC MECHANIC
02-23-2003, 05:48 PM
You know John West and get to meet Jesse James too? Some guys have all the luck! I, too admire the BADASS bikes that Jesse builds. But am I the only one out here that thinks that the Monster Garage is an incredible waste of time for such a skilled fabricator? The projects that they build are totally useless and probably are scrapped as soon as filming is over, as compared to the bikes that he builds that will be around for generations to come. Jesse must be having fun and being paid well for it, or he wouldn't be doing it and more power to him! But I'm really pissed at the Discovery channel!! burningm What, they were sitting around one day and someone says " I really like this Jesse James, he builds some beautiful bikes. Lets see if we can't coaxe him away from meaningfull work and get him to biuld bulls**t"? OH YEAH... :rolleyes: Tim

Hallett19
02-23-2003, 09:07 PM
John, it was good to put another face to a name!What was the totall tally on boats sold at the show ? I hope you guys did good. And I really like the new Ultra deck boat, sweet design, great rigging and clean engine compartment, good job.
[ February 23, 2003, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Hallett19 ]

Jordy
02-23-2003, 09:11 PM
Hey MM, don't sugarcoat it, tell us how you really feel about the deal... :D

Johnwithjm
02-23-2003, 09:20 PM
Hallett19:
John, it was good to put another face to a name!What was the totall tally on boats sold at the show ? I hope you guys did good. And I really like the new Ultra deck boat, sweet design, great rigging and clean engine compartment, good job. Hallet19 it was nice to meet you also. I don`t know how many boats were sold I left early. But the booth was very busy through the whole show. I know that it was one of the best shows that they have had.

Johnwithjm
02-23-2003, 09:24 PM
MANIC MECHANIC:
You know John West and get to meet Jesse James too? Some guys have all the luck! I, too admire the BADASS bikes that Jesse builds. But am I the only one out here that thinks that the Monster Garage is an incredible waste of time for such a skilled fabricator? The projects that they build are totally useless and probably are scrapped as soon as filming is over, as compared to the bikes that he builds that will be around for generations to come. Jesse must be having fun and being paid well for it, or he wouldn't be doing it and more power to him! But I'm really pissed at the Discovery channel!! burningm What, they were sitting around one day and someone says " I really like this Jesse James, he builds some beautiful bikes. Lets see if we can't coaxe him away from meaningfull work and get him to biuld bulls**t"? OH YEAH... :rolleyes: Tim Well like I said I had a great time and thought it was very cool but hey to each his own.

HighRoller
02-23-2003, 10:31 PM
I agree about MG being a waste of Jesse's talent.If you watched him form a complex curved gas tank for a bike on an english wheel out of thin guage mild steel you'd realize this guy is an incredible artist.The projects they build could be built by anyone with a cutting torch,chop saw,welder and Krylon.They need to have the guys at his shop whip up some one off parts for the MG projects then auction the vehicle online to benefit charity.

mbrown2
02-23-2003, 10:35 PM
Its not like the guy is slaving away there for that show...it has been said before on the board, he spends very little time on the set only stops by each day to oversee the projects...
[ February 23, 2003, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: mbrown2 ]

Chaddyshack
02-23-2003, 10:38 PM
Yea I guess your right... any man with a torch and welder and some krylon could do that in 5 days easily. C'mon folks... those of us that have these sort of tools can appreciate the man's skills and talents. Jesse is able to show his "true" craftsmanship with his products and not the show stuff. I'm sure that any one of us that was even considered good enough would love to be on the show and be able to prove what he/she can do with tools and an imagination. I understand the show is for "beginners" but, unless you have a better idea for the Discovery I don't think they are going to change a thing!!
My .02.

Jordy
02-23-2003, 10:42 PM
I do think it's one of Discovery Channel's better shows. It seems like just about every project gets some kind of special JJ treatment, and I'd love to be on the show. Monster Garage and Junkyard Wars would both be a blast to be on.

HBjet
02-23-2003, 11:35 PM
I think the shows are more for the people that are on them and the talent they bring to the table. It also show's people can make a lot money with there hands and create with there hands, something Jesse does very well. I'll let you know my first hand take on MG after this weekend. I might be going to a taping this Friday, and then it's off to NASCAR!
HBjet

Froggystyle
02-24-2003, 12:20 AM
My impression is... they want a team leader with extreme skills. Such that when he puts his thing down and swings, no one argues.
Getting second guessed by people more talented than you is a serious issue for leaders. Anyone can lead with more experience.
Jesse provides the bottom line, and the buck stops here mentality. You need a fabrication genius who has accomplished a lot to lead these talented individuals around.

miller19j
02-24-2003, 08:56 AM
For those of us in the back of the class what is an “English Wheel”? :confused:

Mandelon
02-24-2003, 09:00 AM
Stoned monkeys......I think I have some of their albums..
:p

Jordy
02-24-2003, 09:24 AM
RiverDave:
Shit if you had enough time you could teach a stoned monkey how to program a CNC machine or run an english wheel.
RD What happens if the monkey would rather spend more time ****ing a football? :D

Jordy
02-24-2003, 09:27 AM
miller19j:
For those of us in the back of the class what is an “English Wheel”? :confused: Miller, this is an English Wheel:
http://www.metalcrafttools.com/engwheel_files/engwhl2.jpg
As the old saying goes, "The more things change, the more they stay the same." This may apply to the English Wheel. Around the turn of the century the curved panels for early automobiles were made by beating the sheet metal into hollowed out stumps, sand bags, shot bags and over wood or steel forms. As the demand for higher quality grew the English Wheel was invented.
The English Wheel is shaped like a large "C". There is a large 9"x 3" wheel with a flat working surface mounted at the top. There is a smaller 3"x 3" wheel mounted at the bottom with a curved working surface. The more shape desired in the panel, the more curved the lower wheel or anvil will be. Steel or aluminum can easily be shaped by pushing the metal back and forth between the wheels. Very little pressure is needed to shape the panel. The panel is stretched or raised to the desired shape. Panels free of hammer marks and other flaws can be quickly and easily formed. Many specialty shops today use the English Wheel to build or restore specialty cars, customized cars, antique cars, and aircraft.
To curve sheet metal on a single plane is very easy; to form a compound curve is another story. The English Wheel makes forming compound curves possible. Rolls Royce, Lamborghini and other hand made or custom cars are made using the English Wheel. The futuristic cars built for G.M., Ford, and other manufacturing companies are all built using the English Wheel. The level of skill grows rapidly when you start fitting the parts. Making the metal do what you want is not near as hard as trying to decide what you want it to do. Learning to use the English Wheel is no more difficult to learn than the proper use of the bead roller or break. This is not to imply that you can become an instant expert, but you can learn to make small parts and advance quickly. Using the English Wheel is a lot of fun, and you will learn a lot about sheet metal and fabrication that will help in future projects. Don't let metal fabrication intimidate you. You can learn how!!!!

Froggystyle
02-24-2003, 09:27 AM
RiverDave:
It doesn't take a some huge amount of talent to run an english wheel. 1000's of people use to run them back in World War II. Why does everyone say that he's so "talented" for running something that quite literally some woman use to run back in the day?
You can teach anyone to "fabricate" it's a skill developed over time, very little of fabricating (whether it be welding/machining/running an english wheel) is actual "god given" talent. Shit if you had enough time you could teach a stoned monkey how to program a CNC machine or run an english wheel.
RD I disagree wholeheartedly. "Some woman" back in the war was also ferrying B-17 bombers from the states to England after construction. "Some woman" was also doing serious high performance welding on airframes and systems... I need not go on.
Fabrication is an art, especially when taken in the one-off mindset. True, anyone can be trained to do a specific fabrication oriented task, but to conceive, design, build, fix, and market that finished product is the work of a master fabricator... not some lackey.
I personally don't know anyone other than Jesse who knows how to run an English wheel, though god knows I have tried to learn and failed.
I assume that since you know how to run a CNC, and you know the limits of your abilities that you would correctly figure that a stoned monkey can do your job... and under any other circumstances I might actually agree. This is however not the case. Recent stoned monkey testing indicates they cannot grasp the concept of a fifth axis, and can only advance themselves in the machining trade as far as lathe and millwork. In addition, without opposable thumbs, they struggle greatly with keyboard inputs of the space bar, and screw up code all the time.

miller19j
02-24-2003, 09:30 AM
Thanks guys!

Jordy
02-24-2003, 09:31 AM
RiverDave:
Why does everyone say that he's so "talented" for running something that quite literally some woman use to run back in the day?
Are you saying it doesn't take talent if some woman could do it 50 years ago? Wait until the feminazis hear about this one... :D :D :D
[ February 24, 2003, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: jordanpaulk ]

superV
02-24-2003, 09:52 AM
Get me the popcorn this is going to be good! :D

MANIC MECHANIC
02-24-2003, 11:47 AM
JohnwithJM, My remark was not meant to be offensive in any way to Yourself, John West,Or Jesse James. I'm sorry if you took it that way. Tim smile_sp

Froggystyle
02-24-2003, 01:13 PM
RiverDave:
...you could teach a stoned monkey how to program a CNC machine or run an english wheel.
Originally posted by RiverDave:
I dunno how to Run a CNC machine. I think this joke pretty much fills itself in nicely without much elaboration on my part... wink

rivercrazy
02-24-2003, 01:21 PM
Yea. But can RD run an ACME ?

Havasu Doug
02-24-2003, 01:58 PM
http://www.havasudoug.com/images/posts/laboatshow2003skoolbus1.jpg
http://www.havasudoug.com/images/posts/laboatshow2003skoolbus2.jpg
Speaking of the Monster Garage, it was nice to see this project at the L.A. Boat Show. Thank you John West for displaying this. :D

rivercrazy
02-24-2003, 02:02 PM
Acme Gridley RA-6. Cool you know how to run those. Those are WWII vintage aren't they along with Brown & Sharpe's and CVA's

Froggystyle
02-24-2003, 02:03 PM
RiverDave:
However, being that I can machine parts and a Stoned Monkey can machine parts, where does that leave you? Hiring you and the stoned monkey to machine my parts.
Dont feel bad Dave... I had to hire someone to empty my septic tank too. I didn't even know where the cap was!
The day a stoned monkey, or yourself in his capacity, can look at a sheet of metal and think "gas tank" I will accept your dismissal of Jesse's abilities as gospel. Until then, however... I think you will find the banannas on isle 3.

Jordy
02-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Froggystyle:
I think you will find the banannas on isle 3. Hey Wes, are those anywhere near the "Bananas?" :D
The Coyote never had much luck with the Acme Company when he was trying to catch the Roadrunner... Maybe he can run a CNC? :)

Froggystyle
02-24-2003, 02:49 PM
LOL!
wink :D

Johnwithjm
02-24-2003, 03:21 PM
MANIC MECHANIC:
JohnwithJM, My remark was not meant to be offensive in any way to Yourself, John West,Or Jesse James. I'm sorry if you took it that way. Tim smile_sp Not at all Tim. Everyone has there own opinion on things I though it was very cool to get to check it out first hand.

MANIC MECHANIC
02-24-2003, 05:54 PM
JohnwithJM, Cool doesn't begin to cover it!I would have loved to have been that "lucky"(read; in the right place at the right time or knowing the right people) myself! I seriously did not mean to rain on your parade!!Very few people are ever that fortunate!...Tim smile_sp

Stoned Monkey
02-24-2003, 06:22 PM
Why the F do you have pick on us Stoned Monkeys?? :mad: Dammit, I work all day at the shop and you frikkin think I like it?? RD is a slave driver! He never lets me take any banana breaks. I'm still waiting for a ride in that boat......take me to Parker? Yeah Right! burningm
I'm lucky if I get a bowl of water. Of course he may still be mad about that time I pissed in my hand and threw it at him...but that's what CNC Operating Stoned Monkey do!
It took me three weeks to explain to him how to operate the damn machine. The local union had classes, but RD was too busy waxing his boat to make it.
Quit picking on the Stoned Monkey!!!

Jordy
02-24-2003, 06:24 PM
LMAO!!!! :D :D :D

Mandelon
02-24-2003, 07:52 PM
What time is show on? :confused:

Jordy
02-24-2003, 07:53 PM
It's on in 9 minutes in my little world. I don't know about you'uns in Caliland. :D

JetBoatRich
02-24-2003, 07:55 PM
1 hour in 6 minutes?

JetBoatRich
02-24-2003, 07:57 PM
ON discovery if you didn't know! wink
[ February 24, 2003, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: JetBoatRich ]

WetWillie
02-24-2003, 08:09 PM
Dave, Wes,
Thanks for the good laugh! You guys made my day!
WW :D

Jordy
02-24-2003, 08:30 PM
This is a good one. They're turning a Mini into a snowmobile. One of the guys is a Mini employee and he looked like he was going to cry when Jesse started cutting this brand new car up... :D

JetBoatRich
02-24-2003, 08:55 PM
Not much to cut, love how they piece it together and make it fit.

JetBoatRich
02-24-2003, 09:00 PM
Petty is the winner! That car was cool, that would freak people out pulling up tp the snow and converting in front of the crowd.

Jordy
02-24-2003, 09:02 PM
I thought the Long Beach snow storm was cool.

JetBoatRich
02-24-2003, 09:04 PM
"I got to get me one of those"

Jordy
02-24-2003, 09:07 PM
I was cracking up at the Redneck Stabilization Technique, just keep welding metal to it. :D

rivercrazy
02-24-2003, 09:25 PM
ROFLMFAO!
Stoned Monkey:
Why the F do you have pick on us Stoned Monkeys?? :mad: Dammit, I work all day at the shop and you frikkin think I like it?? RD is a slave driver! He never lets me take any banana breaks. I'm still waiting for a ride in that boat......take me to Parker? Yeah Right! burningm
I'm lucky if I get a bowl of water. Of course he may still be mad about that time I pissed in my hand and threw it at him...but that's what CNC Operating Stoned Monkey do!
It took me three weeks to explain to him how to operate the damn machine. The local union had classes, but RD was too busy waxing his boat to make it.
Quit picking on the Stoned Monkey!!!

Mandelon
02-24-2003, 09:27 PM
Dang RD, Sounds like you're pretty rough on the little guy!
http://www.leler.com/asia/BABYMONK.jpg

Jordy
02-24-2003, 09:28 PM
Does he get a break at 4:20? :D

Hotcrusader76
02-25-2003, 12:18 PM
Stoned Monkey Metal Works...Hmmmm

1stepcloser
02-26-2003, 10:11 AM
They fight, they fight, they fight-fight-fight-fight-fight...fight-fight-fight...fight-fight-fight...the RD and Froggy shooowwww.
[ February 26, 2003, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: 1stepcloser ]

Froggystyle
02-26-2003, 10:47 AM
RiverDave:
The funny thing is for as much as I argue with the guy I genuinely like him. We never seem to argue in person. ??? I think it's his keyboard personallity that I have problems with. :D LMAO
RD More specifically... we are great freinds, but thoroughly enjoy the online differences of opinion.
Plus... the target is too easy. You ever walk around with a hammer in your hand? It's funny, but everything starts looking like a nail... :D

1stepcloser
02-26-2003, 11:34 AM
RiverDave:
I think it's his keyboard personallity that I have problems with. :D LMAO
RD An MPD thing, huh? devil
I read these exchanges and it is fairly obvious that yoos two get along.
I just think its amusing, thats all. :D