PDA

View Full Version : CLEARLAKE

SANGERBRU
08-06-2002, 09:58 PM
This is the best unfound speed lake in the west,any input? It's warm,due to shallow conditions,(and algae(due to warm water),but if you know where to go its awesome!

ps555
08-06-2002, 10:14 PM
GREW UP GOING TO CLEARLAKE. mY FAMILY RACED BOATS UP THERE WHEN SKI RACING WAS IN

Cas
08-06-2002, 10:16 PM
just don't wear white swimming attire when you jump in unless of course you won't mind them turning green :D
I'm actually debating on having a get together up there on Labor Day weekend. The Doobie Bros. and Foreigner are playing at Konocti on Sat night. It would be kind of cool to "Listen to the Music" while floating in your boat.

Cas
08-06-2002, 10:20 PM
and Chris Isaak on Sunday with fireworks after the show.

Heatseeker
08-07-2002, 12:49 AM
Don't forget the afternoon winds!
I spent a lot of time at Clearlake in the 80's. Saw a buddy's boat get tore up real bad tied up in his slip. The winds came up, along with some two foot swells. The boat broke loose and the rest was history.
We used to go to a bar in Lakeport called "Infrognitos". What a place!!!
[ August 07, 2002, 01:51 AM: Message edited by: Heatseeker ]

HAVASU DCB
08-08-2002, 07:23 AM
CLEAR LAKE ROCKS. I WENT THERE FOR A WEEK LAST FORTH OF JULY (2001) WITH MY BUDDY THAT HAD BEEN GOING THERE FOREVER. GREAT LAKE TO GO FAST. NOT A LOT OF TRAFFIC.

snickers5422
08-10-2002, 03:11 PM
Well, I'm a little prejudiced because I live here. There are several places to escape the afternoon winds once you get familiar with the lake's geography. The algae this year has been less than I've ever seen it and, it blooms only once a year. As a matter of fact, we're having to remove the grasses that have grown due to clearer water conditions over the past 10 years. So long as you stay away from the shore and use your mufflers and your head the sheriffs usually leave you alone. If you're not running mufflers then I suggest launching at the County Park in Kelseyville. Of course the same holds true about being noisy close to shore. Lakeport, Lucerne, Clearlake and Konocti have their "resident" sheriffs lurking here and there. They still hold 2 to 3 ski races every year. We did that for about six years but now enjoy drag racing at Camp Far West. Hope to see some of you out there. We have a 17' orange, red and yellow jet named Clockwork Orange.
Sheryl---Boat 725

Wet Dream
08-10-2002, 03:59 PM
I spent more summers at Clear Lake than I can remember. It can't be beat. Konocti was awesome, used to be a really hot spot in the 80's for adults (entertainment) and kids too. My grandparents had a summer trailer south of Konocti in what I think was Richards something or other. Watch out for the poison oak.

Heatseeker
08-10-2002, 04:23 PM
I had alot of fun up there back in the day. My buddy had a trailer at Ford acres(I think that's what it was called), right on the lake. We weren't far from Konocti. Konocti was the bomb back then. They had Sunday brunch with a champange fountain. You know we got our $$$'s worth!

cal***boat
08-10-2002, 05:32 PM
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/DCP_0070.JPG
BUCKINGHAM GOLF COURSE LAUNCH RAMP
CLEARLAKE IS A GREAT PLACE BUT THE LAKE CAN GET REALLY ROUGH AT TIMES.
I LIVE IN THE BUCKINGHAM GOLF COURSE AREA WHICH IS ABOUT A 1/2 MILE FROM KONOTCI HARBOR INN AND WE HAVE ALOT OF FUN OUT ON THE LAKE.
WE HAVE OUR HOT BOAT WHICH IS IN THE ABOVE PICTURE AND ALSO HAVE A 20ft GLASTRON BOWRIDER FOR THE DAYS WHEN THE LAKE IS ROUGH OR IF WE JUST WANT TO GO OUT AND KICK BACK AND ENJOY THE SUN AND THE MANY BARS ON THE SHORES OF CLEARLAKE.
WE HAVE HAD OUR RUN IN`S WITH THE LOCAL LAKE COPS IN THE PAST BUT IF YOU KEEP YOUR HEAD STRAIGHT AND DONT ACT LIKE AN ASS OUT ON THE WATER THEY WILL LEAVE YOU ALONE MOST OF THE TIME.
THE BEST PLACE TO LAUNCH IS THE COUNTY PARK IN KELSEYVILLE IF YOU HAVE A HOT BOAT THAT IS LOUD, BUT DONT GET ON IT TO CLOSE TO THE SHORE OR THEY WILL BE ON YOU REAL QUICK.
I LAUNCH AT BUCKINGHAM WHICH IS A PRIVATE LAUNCH RAMP AT THE GOLF COURSE AND IS ONLY 50 YARDS FROM MY DRIVEWAY WHICH MAKES IT REAL NICE.
IF ANYONE OUT THERE IS LOOKING TO BUY A HOT BOAT I`AM SELLING THE CALIFORNIA PERFORMANCE TUNNEL IN THE ABOVE PICTURE FOR $12,000 TURNKEY OR $6,500 LESS THE ENGINE.
dlakatos@mchsi.com

CHEETER-JOE
08-10-2002, 06:00 PM
Maybe a stupid question, but where the heck is Clearlake??? How big is it compared to Elsinor or Perris?? Thanks, Joey

DickDanger
08-10-2002, 06:18 PM
Who the hell needs Clearlake when we have Elsinore here in SoCal.....green water, dying fish, floating diapers....how can you beat that??? -DD out

snickers5422
08-10-2002, 06:19 PM
Don't feel stupid! It's 80 miles north of San Francisco off of the Wine Country Hwy 29. 29 travels north on 29 over Mt. Saint Helena. It's on the maps. If you need more specific directions let me know. We've met some really cool people from SoCal up here.
Sheryl
Boat 725

RH
08-11-2002, 09:39 PM
I just bought a jet had it out for the first time last weekend at Clearlake I had to stop about 3 times to pull the weeds out of the pump I was thinking about attaching some stainless screen over the grate what do ya think will this screw up the flow comming in . Randy

snickers5422
08-12-2002, 07:51 AM
Boy, as far as we know the only solution to the grass problem is to stay out of it as much as possible. Because clumps of it float freely that's sometimes pretty tough to do. I think Lakeport has the biggest share of it because of the shallow depth there. It can go out 1/4 mile or more from shore. The guys who spray for the hydrilla weed said that it will get rid of some of this stuff. They were spraying out of Kelseyville County Park a week ago.
Tom
Boat 725

RH
08-12-2002, 03:55 PM
GREAT , I launched a county park which didn't seem that bad but comming and going into Lands End was the worst , I'm new to boating there where are the hot spots , good sking areas , ect.
Thanks Randy

snickers5422
08-13-2002, 11:45 AM
Hey Randy, because the lake is so big you'll find hot boats scattered anywhere the water is calm. Usually in the summertime the calmest waters will be in Lakeport, Nice and Lucerne. But, since this year is anything but usual the calmer waters might be at Konocti (excluding the seeminly 100's of SeaDoos)and Richmond Park on the West side and on the East side we've often found nice water in the coves off Monitor Island and Glenhaven farther north. It really depends on the wind directions. We went out on Sunday from Clearlake and could have traveled from one end of the lake to the other. About 3 years ago we had five local boats that used to hang out just out of the Clearlake ramp out by the island. Barring two dozen wake boarders we could usually do a little racing in the cove on the East side. But then, you have to keep your eyes open for the sheriffs if you're not running mufflers or obeying the 200 ft offshore rule. What does your boat look like?
Sheryl-725

Magnuman
08-13-2002, 02:37 PM
Hmmmm,
I never have a problem on the lake when it kicks up in the afternoons. :D :D
I have a home right across from Indian Island on the West side. If any of you see me around stop by for a soda pop wink
http://www.donzi.net/photos/ENahemow35.jpg
[ August 13, 2002, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Magnuman ]

snickers5422
08-13-2002, 07:32 PM
Hey Magnuman with an offshore hull like that you shouldn't have a problem! I'm talking 16' 11" with a 19" transom! No problem though...this lake is big enough for all of us! Are you up here full time or on the weekends?

RH
08-13-2002, 08:09 PM
Its a Spectra 18 blue and white hope to be up there over labor day . We are out of Lands End . Hope this picture thing works !
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/Spectra_03_side_1.JPG

Magnuman
08-13-2002, 08:47 PM
Snickers,
I am up almost every weekend of the year and whenever else I can break away from work!
I also have a 17' Keaton that we use to ski, tube and hang out on when the water is calm.

snickers5422
08-14-2002, 04:49 AM
Hey Randy and Magnuman, we're going to Camp Far West to meet up with the V-Drive club this weekend. There have been very few occasions when it was too rough in the cove to race. Everyone is pretty laid back there and usually its racing from the first light in the morning until sunset. Definitely going to get some new pics this weekend and, with any luck they'll be up next week. So Magnuman, then your place is on the other side of the peninsula from Windflower Point? Off North Drive? We'll probably be over in Lucerne on Sunday August 18th watching the ski races. They're great to watch from the water. Maybe we'll see you guys over there.
Sheryl-725

Magnuman
08-14-2002, 09:28 AM
The house is located on the west side of the lake across from Indian Island.
This is the island that is right across from the launching ramp in Clear Lake. The area is called Sunrise Shore.
Sunday, I'll be in Vegas seeing "The Boss" :D
[ August 14, 2002, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Magnuman ]

snickers5422
08-14-2002, 04:15 PM
You know, we've always known that as Anderson Island and I thought it looked awfully familiar since we do most of our launching in Clearlake. Were you out last Sunday? I know I saw a boat that looked like yours coming into Sunrise Shores. Small world!
Sheryl-725

snickers5422
08-14-2002, 04:16 PM
P.S. Magnuman...I'm mistaken on the race date! It's August 24th and 25th. Duh, we won't be home this weekend either! I'm hearing great reviews on his concert. Have a blast

SANGERBRU
08-14-2002, 04:29 PM
Ski races 24-25 in Nice?

Magnuman
08-14-2002, 06:25 PM
That was probably me.
The island names are one in the same.

snickers5422
08-15-2002, 04:53 AM
Hi Sangerbru...no the race will be out of the Lucerne launchramp on the 24th and 25th of August and the 21st and 22nd of September they'll be out of Redbud in Clearlake. Magnuman will have a good view of that race! There are 14 year old kids skiing at 110 mph! Amazing.
Sheryl

RH
08-19-2002, 10:36 PM
Hey did willow point next to TNT's open up I thought I saw some campers there a few weeks ago

snickers5422
08-20-2002, 09:17 AM
The last time we were over in Lakeport it looked pretty dead but it's hard to tell. It's tough to get too close with all of the grass. I'm not sure if the people in the trailers behind the campgrounds are still there or not.

SANGERBRU
08-20-2002, 05:43 PM
Thank you,Snickers,I will Be at the ski races Aug.24-25,will be in Sanger mini-daycruiser pearl w/candy red stripes.What should I look for?
Sincerely,Bruce

snickers5422
08-21-2002, 06:48 AM
Bruce, we'll be in a 17 foot orange with red and yellow graphics jet with a yellow flamed scoop. Numbers on the side are 725. Won't be able to make it on Saturday since that's a work day but will be there early on Sunday. We'll be launching from Nice since Lucerne will be pretty busy with the race boats and general public. Look forward to meeting you.
Sheryl

SANGERBRU
08-27-2002, 06:41 PM
Hello Snickers,we were there on Saturday,seen the "California Securities" boats,really liked the twin blown IMCO drive boat,Dissappointed with the turn out,we will be at the the races Sept.21-22 at Redbud ramp,hope to see you there!
Sinceerely,Bruce

snickers5422
08-28-2002, 05:27 AM
Hi Bruce. Part of the problem with the lack of turnout is that there isn't enough publicity put out there. If they'd have blurbs on the radio stations and a line or two in every entertainment section of the newspaper I'm sure it would be much different. But then that's always been a problem it seems. We weren't able to be there on Saturday this time but hope to be in September. We got there before 9:00 to see hot laps and (to our amazement) the whole racing event was over by 10:30!!! You're right about Avila's boat...it's a screamer with two 400+ blown motors in it. How he got that sponsor is beyond me but they do him up right with equipment. My husband has known him since he was a little kid. Hope to see you next month.